Eric Schmidt says he uses an iPhone, but claims to prefer Samsung's Galaxy

Posted:
in iPhone
Alphabet chairman Eric Schmidt has owned up to the worst-kept secret in Silicon Valley: that the leader of the Android mothership leans on an arch rival for his day-to-day communications.

Via Osen.

Schmidt carries both an iPhone 6s and a Samsung Galaxy S7, he told CNBC during an event in Amsterdam. Asked which one he prefers, Schmidt gave the nod to Samsung.

"Samsung S7 is better. It has a better battery. And those of you who are iPhone users (know) I'm right," Schmidt is quoted as saying.

Perhaps the most surprising admission is not that Schmidt uses an iPhone -- he was spotted snapping photos with an iPhone earlier this year -- but that his Android device is made by Samsung, rather than Google.

Google partners with mobile phone makers to produce a line of Nexus devices, which run pure Android and are designed as showcase machines for the mobile platform. Nexus phones are held in mostly high regard, and it would seem a logical choice for Schmidt to carry the latest and greatest from his own firm.

Samsung is perhaps Google's biggest ally, though the South Korean company is widely believed to be unhappy with Google's growing hold on Android. Many industry watchers believe this has already caused fractures in the relationship and may lead to a split down the road.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,189member
    The S7 battery lasts a week... because the Scheit doesn't use it.
    badmonkmagman1979tokyojimuanantksundaramteejay2012lostkiwimejsricjbdragonviclauyycksec
  • Reply 2 of 73
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    What I find funny about these articles is that the anti Apple morons always have excuses for these people using iPhone, "oh they're just studying the competition so it's not so bad!"

Now imagine if Tim Cook or Jony Ive were caught using a Galaxy phone?

"They're just testing the competition" excuse suddenly wouldn't be valid and the media would have an ABSOLUTE CIRCUS about it.

P.S. Fandroids all claim the S7 has the superior camera in the industry. Why is an android God snapping photos with an iPhone instead?
    fotoformatmagman1979spaceraysericthehalfbeeanantksundarambaconstanglostkiwimetrixjbdragonviclauyyc
  • Reply 3 of 73
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    Who cares. It's business. 
    singularitymike1lord amhranstaticx57
  • Reply 4 of 73
    cali said:
    Fandroids all claim the S7 has the superior camera in the industry. Why is an android God snapping photos with an iPhone instead?
    It wasn't "fandroids" making the camera claim. http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Samsung-Galaxy-S7-edge-Mobile-Review-A-new-champion
    lord amhranstaticx57Kawhi
  • Reply 5 of 73
    techprod1gytechprod1gy Posts: 838member
    I could care less like most about what this D bag uses. Just to share my experience with the S7 Edge. I used this for a couple weeks to see where things were at compared to my iPhone 6s+. I thought the screen and camera were really good. The rest of the phone felt cheap to me. The operating system was pretty good overall. I found that I continued to have accidental input from the main bottom button and the touch sensitive buttons on each side which was my main complaint with the experience. I would say the ecosystem from Apple is ahead of what Android is although it is not by a large margin. When you put physical hardware, software and ecosystem all together Apple wins by a pretty good margin. I will admit it is not a completely fair assessment since I have been all Apple for decades.
    singularitysricelostkiwijbdragonviclauyyczoetmbthepixeldoc
  • Reply 6 of 73
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    gatorguy said:
    Who cares. It's business. 
    IMHO, not really. More like not wanting the Google AI to track his every move. After all, he knows what goes on inside it. "Welcome.... to the Machine"

calipatchythepirateanantksundaramlostkiwiviclauyycthepixeldoclongpathjony0
  • Reply 7 of 73
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    gatorguy said:
    cali said:
    Fandroids all claim the S7 has the superior camera in the industry. Why is an android God snapping photos with an iPhone instead?
    It wasn't "fandroids" making the camera claim. http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Samsung-Galaxy-S7-edge-Mobile-Review-A-new-champion
    Yes it is. Trust me they hate me and I destroy them daily on YouTube(their hometowm). It's a hobby of mine.
    JanNLmwhitepatchythepirateericthehalfbeelostkiwijbdragonviclauyyclongpath
  • Reply 8 of 73
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    cali said:
    gatorguy said:
    Yes it is. Trust me they hate me and I destroy them daily on YouTube(their hometowm). It's a hobby of mine.
    He who hunts monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster
    rich gregorylostkiwijackansi
  • Reply 9 of 73
    cali said:
    gatorguy said:
    cali said:
    Well OK then. :)
  • Reply 10 of 73
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    Slow news day I guess...who cares who uses what. 
    singularity
  • Reply 11 of 73
    cali said:

I remember years ago (back in the powerbook days) that Steve Jobs used an IBM/Windows computer. He was quoted as saying he needed it for certain business functions. Can't find the citation just now, but I am certain of this.
  • Reply 12 of 73
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,278member
    To those who say it doesn't matter which device he uses, you are wrong.  Google has bet the bank that android was going to be their power move...the fact he uses an iPhone is a big deal.

And agree with the earlier assessment of the battery issue.  He doesn't use the Galaxy.

mwhitecalimagman1979nolamacguyviclauyycstarwars
  • Reply 13 of 73
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    I have to say I love you my wife(Galaxy S7) but my heart and actions says I want to be with someone(iphone) else.
    calipatchythepirateviclauyycstarwars
  • Reply 14 of 73
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,106member
    Something about the logic doesn't follow here--iPhone users all know that Samsung phones are better, we just use iPhones because they're...?

The only answer I can really think of is that iPhones are on a different release cycle. The latest Samsung might actually have a better camera than the iPhone from last year, but the iPhones coming out in 4 months will likely surpass it, and overall, I think those of us who use iPhones know why we do. I bet Schmidt knows why he does too.
    edited May 2016 nolamacguyjbdragonviclauyyc
  • Reply 15 of 73
    I could care less like most about what this D bag uses. Just to share my experience with the S7 Edge. I used this for a couple weeks to see where things were at compared to my iPhone 6s+. I thought the screen and camera were really good. The rest of the phone felt cheap to me. The operating system was pretty good overall. I found that I continued to have accidental input from the main bottom button and the touch sensitive buttons on each side which was my main complaint with the experience. I would say the ecosystem from Apple is ahead of what Android is although it is not by a large margin. When you put physical hardware, software and ecosystem all together Apple wins by a pretty good margin. I will admit it is not a completely fair assessment since I have been all Apple for decades.
    Whenever my friend hands me his S6 Edge to show me something, there's almost always an accidental input during the handoff.  

Also the curve in the screen makes it harder to see the edges of full screen videos.

You notice those issues too?
    edited May 2016 lostkiwijbdragonlongpath
  • Reply 16 of 73

cali said:

I remember years ago (back in the powerbook days) that Steve Jobs used an IBM/Windows computer. He was quoted as saying he needed it for certain business functions. Can't find the citation just now, but I am certain of this.
    IIRC The ThinkPad was probably running a version of NeXTStep - maybe OpenStep. 

Most Apple 3rd Party Software was probably still on Classic Mac OS.
    teaearlegreyhotcalijbdragontofinolongpath
  • Reply 17 of 73
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    I had exact same experience as you (almost word for word)
    jbdragon
  • Reply 18 of 73
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    cali said:

It was an IBM ThinkPad running NextStep, being the software platform he'd been using before he came back to Apple.
    teaearlegreyhotcalijbdragontofinonetmage
  • Reply 19 of 73
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Dang. Make that OpenStep, which replaced NextStep.
    teaearlegreyhottofino
  • Reply 20 of 73
    That's a bunch of Schmidt.
    calimagman1979jbdragon