Apple TV nets Bravo, E! and Syfy content with new tvOS apps

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2016
As of Thursday, pay TV subscribers who also own a fourth-generation Apple TV can stream the latest shows from NBCUniversal channels Bravo, E! and Syfy through dedicated apps Bravo Now, E! Now and Syfy Now.

NBC announced the expansion to its "TV Everywhere" initiative earlier today, providing Apple TV owners access to popular series like E! network's "Keeping up with the Kardashians" and Bravo's "The Real Housewives" family of shows, reports Variety.

Like other apps serving subscription television stations, Bravo Now, E! Now and Syfy Now serve up both current seasons and selections from their respective back catalogs. Select episodes, usually recent releases from popular properties, are free to view, but users will need to sign in with their TV provider account details for full access.

Along with the latest Kardashian family exploits, subscribers can keep up to date on E! series like "Botched," "Fashion Police" and "#RichKids of Beverly Hills." Newer shows "WAGS" and "The Royals" will be offered in the near future, Variety reports. Syfy's collection includes hits "Ghost Hunters," "Face Off" and "12 Monkeys," while Bravo fans can stream episodes of "Going Off the Menu," "Below Deck Mediterranean" and "Top Chef," among others.

Available for free through the tvOS App Store, Bravo Now comes in at 5.3MB, E! at 5.4MB and Syfy Now at 5.3MB.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Some real quality offerings there. 
    buckalecwaverboySpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 25
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Has Apple basically abandoned the 3rd gen Apple TV, since these channels are not being released for it?
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 3 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So another $10/mo or so? It sure does add up quickly.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    apophisapophis Posts: 36member
    Disappointed with the cable channels that are only available for cable subscribers. Might as well watch it on cable then. Also, I've tried using CNN and FX with a cable login and they constantly have to be activated/logged back in every couple weeks. Real hassle. Wondering why RT hasn't made a streaming app of its new service yet.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Utterly trivial crap. Embarrassing, in fact. 

Its shocking to to me that Apple can't even get ABC and ESPN on board, despite the CEO of the company that owns both (Disney) being on Apple's board and Steve Job's wife being on Disney's board (and its largest shareholder). 
    edited May 2016 thewhitefalcon
  • Reply 6 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Are the Kardashians and Klingons still fighting it out?
    cintosdasanman69
  • Reply 7 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Some real quality offerings there. 
    Don't forget to include the "/s".
  • Reply 8 of 25
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member
    While I don't care about E or Bravo, I am all about some SyFy.  Well done Apple!  Between that and NatGeo and HBO and Netflix I think I'm set.  
  • Reply 9 of 25
    But you still have to pay your internet service provider the same price to access any of these channels.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    While I don't care about E or Bravo, I am all about some SyFy.  Well done Apple!  Between that and NatGeo and HBO and Netflix I think I'm set.  
    What did Apple do? Nothing in this regards other than provide a box that can stream your SyFy alongside all the other streaming devices like my Xbox or Roku. So why the well done Apple?
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 11 of 25
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    Sigh, I remember when Bravo used to actually air quality programming.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    dhawkins541dhawkins541 Posts: 107member
    Just wish these apps for  tv offered the live streaming that their iPhone counter parts do being you can AirPlay syfy to  tv without a problem. 
  • Reply 13 of 25
    welshwizwelshwiz Posts: 33member
    Why not make them available for the UK
  • Reply 14 of 25
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    welshwiz said:
    Really?! Do we really need another thread discussing the issues/problems/difficulties with licensing and agreements in multiple countries???
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Utterly trivial crap. Embarrassing, in fact. 

Its shocking to to me that Apple can't even get ABC and ESPN on board, despite the CEO of the company that owns both (Disney) being on Apple's board and Steve Job's wife being on Disney's board (and its largest shareholder). 
    All of the ABC networks have been on the 3rd-gen ATV for ages. Don't own a 4th gen, so I can't speak to that.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    It's amazing to see so many short sighted comments.  How can Apple wrangle channels away from cable packages unless they can show he networks that people would rather use the Apple TV for viewing shows.  Every time people register a streaming device the networks are seeing that they should take a closer look offering standalone streaming offerings.
    I don't blame a network, who relies on cable companies for a large portion of their revenue, to be hesitant to jump straight in to the deep end.
    While the viewers might be ready for standalone streaming right now, it would be crazy for a large corporation with revenue streams in place to just turn 90 degrees abruptly like that.  They must be shown a path to the direction change that makes sense to them financially in a time frame that makes sense as a business model.  And that's what Apple is trying to do.
    So to all the whiners who have no vision or understanding of how business works, your complaining is trivial and you'll never have everything the way you want it in life.
    Give it a rest.
    edited May 2016 igorskymike egglestonmike1
  • Reply 17 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    mike1 said:
    welshwiz said:
    Really?! Do we really need another thread discussing the issues/problems/difficulties with licensing and agreements in multiple countries???
    I doubt it will ever end being a topic that irritates the Brits in the UK  (in fact it applies to so many things not just TV).  That's one reason this Brit is in the USA ;)
  • Reply 18 of 25
    techprod1gytechprod1gy Posts: 838member
    If all of these apps would offer streaming their content for $5 we would have a winner here. For what I pay DirecTV $10 per app may work out. There are only 6-8 apps I would need (this is because of my wife. I could live with 2-3)...but I do see how building this up know could lead to something like I describe in the future.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 757member
    ciegtank said:
    It's amazing to see so many short sighted comments.  How can Apple wrangle channels away from cable packages unless they can show he networks that people would rather use the Apple TV for viewing shows.  Every time people register a streaming device the networks are seeing that they should take a closer look offering standalone streaming offerings.
    I don't blame a network, who relies on cable companies for a large portion of their revenue, to be hesitant to jump straight in to the deep end.
    While the viewers might be ready for standalone streaming right now, it would be crazy for a large corporation with revenue streams in place to just turn 90 degrees abruptly like that.  They must be shown a path to the direction change that makes sense to them financially in a time frame that makes sense as a business model.  And that's what Apple is trying to do.
    So to all the whiners who have no vision or understanding of how business works, your complaining is trivial and you'll never have everything the way you want it in life.
    Give it a rest.

Well said.  
  • Reply 20 of 25
    If all of these apps would offer streaming their content for $5 we would have a winner here. For what I pay DirecTV $10 per app may work out. There are only 6-8 apps I would need (this is because of my wife. I could live with 2-3)...but I do see how building this up know could lead to something like I describe in the future.
    Just what I want. 20 different subscriptions to manage, each with a separate charge on my credit card. At your suggested $10/app, it'd cost me more than I pay for cable now. If Apple would eventually offer one-stop shopping, some live programming and a better user experience, I might consider it, but it ain't there yet.