Apple TV's App Store now hiding installed apps on top charts

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple has quietly tweaked the tvOS App Store to hide apps a user already has installed when browsing the store's top charts, a German developer noted on Tuesday.

The change appears to have taken effect last week, said Equinux in a blog post. The company noticed that its Live TV app mysteriously vanished from the Top Free section of the App Store, even though it was previously one of the top 10 downloads. To verify if anything was wrong, Equinux checked iTunes Connect and crash logs, and refreshed the App Store.

Ultimately the company discovered that once an app is downloaded, new algorithms simply replace it, pushing the next-lowest app to a higher rank for each individual user. Downloading an app will even cause it to disappear from featured slots at the front of the App Store.

The change is presumably meant to make it easier to discover more apps, since charts might otherwise be dominated by entries like Netflix and Hulu. At the same time, it's now more difficult to gauge the true popularity of a title.

Apple's other stores so far appear to be unaffected. The company could have more to say on the matter, at least to developers, at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference, which starts June 13.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    That's dumb. Charts should be the most popular apps, not the most popular apps I haven't downloaded. iOS App Store doesn't work like this.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    This is pure genius.  Apple, once again designing something so simple and effortless so as to make it seem obvious.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    aricbaricb Posts: 27member
    It's about time they did this. I got so tired of looking for new apps and having to waste time scrolling thru stuff i already have.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    But I was using it to make myself feel like one of the cool kids.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 5 of 14
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    This is dumb. Why manipulate the charts?

How about they fix the irritating "reccommended movies/shows" section which shows me a ton of movies I own while shopping.

I'm looking for new stuff and half the suggestions I own.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 6 of 14
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    That's dumb. Charts should be the most popular apps, not the most popular apps I haven't downloaded. iOS App Store doesn't work like this.
    Seriously though, why do you disagree with their methodology? Using an example noted above, and one I can personally relate to, if the Top Chart contains Netflix, but I already have it on my Apple TV, why would I (were I you) care to see it in the Top Charts still? And I'm sure were I to delete it from my Apple TV, or pickup a new one (for which I can't unfortunately restore from a backup, or copy the apps already installed on other Apple TV), Netflix would be right up top? 

Just (really) wondering or trying to understand your POV.
    cali said:

How about they fix the irritating "reccommended movies/shows" section which shows me a ton of movies I own while shopping.

How exactly is this manipulation? And to your point, maybe that's next - if they're doing it for apps (on tvOS thus far anyway, hiding the top entry if it's already on your device and shifting the ones below it up), they should be able to for movies/shows.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    cali said:

Lol!!! How long have you had this problem of disagreeing with yourself?
    elijahgboopthesnoot
  • Reply 8 of 14
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    cali said:

Why is this bad for apps, but good for flicks?
    elijahgboopthesnoot
  • Reply 9 of 14
    bonobob said:
    cali said:

Why is this bad for apps, but good for flicks?
    IT'S NOT THE SAME THING.

Reccommended movies are suggestions pitched for sale.

Top charts are charts.

Point is, I can't believe they looked into removing apps from the charts but couldn't fix the obvious reccommended problem which is actually a real issue and losing sales. I don't even click "recommended" when shopping anymore because its become useless.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    This should be a toggle in settings (hide/show downloaded apps in appstore). 

• Reply 11 of 14
    rwes said:
    Seriously though, why do you disagree with their methodology? Using an example noted above, and one I can personally relate to, if the Top Chart contains Netflix, but I already have it on my Apple TV, why would I (were I you) care to see it in the Top Charts still? And I'm sure were I to delete it from my Apple TV, or pickup a new one (for which I can't unfortunately restore from a backup, or copy the apps already installed on other Apple TV), Netflix would be right up top? 

Just (really) wondering or trying to understand your POV.
    How exactly is this manipulation? And to your point, maybe that's next - if they're doing it for apps (on tvOS thus far anyway, hiding the top entry if it's already on your device and shifting the ones below it up), they should be able to for movies/shows.
    Rigifan may be keeping track of the charts for whatever reason.

I've done the same since I was a child. I like to see what's popular and what's trending. I  don't wanna see Sonic CD as the number one game when it could potentially be number 13.

Imagine if they start doing this with music? SMH.

I don't think anyone understood my point but I went back and re-read it and I honestly can't make it any clearer.
    I just want them to fix something that matters first.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 12 of 14
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    If you could toggle it, you'd get both. In fact, it is very annoying seeing app you already downloaded (if you downloaded enough) and makes browsing a harder.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Pity the poor app developer who wants to check how their app is ranking.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    I can see no downside to this approach for the first panel the user sees, the next logical step is to customise this feed to the user's tastes. As long as the category listing is still available, there is no logic to cluttering the user's first screen with apps that they're unlikely to be interested in.

I don't really see it getting in the way of determining popularity since a curious 3rd party could just run a blank account for the unadulterated version.