Square pushes Apple Pay contactless reader with new $1/week installment plan

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2016
For businesses interested in buying Square's new Apple Pay-compatible contactless terminal but put off by its $49 cost, a new $1-per-week installment plan option is now available.

The new 60-week payment plan carries an $11 premium over the standard cost, but gives merchants more than a year to pay it off in full.

In a statement to AppleInsider, Square revealed that about 20 percent of "micro businesses" take out loans for operational expenses, such as the tools needed to run the day-to-day business. The new payment plan is intended to reach those small-business owners who may be apprehensive about adopting new technology due to upfront costs.

The latest Square reader not only accepts contactless NFC payments such as Apple Pay, but also supports EMV chip cards. It includes a battery and connects wirelessly to iOS devices and the Square point-of-sale app to complete transactions.

The Square contactless and chip reader launched late last year directly through the company, and expanded to Apple's own retail stores this February. Square is one of the most popular payment options for independent businesses, and its push to support Apple Pay could be a major aid to expansion of Apple's tap-to-pay service found in its latest devices.

Businesses using a Square reader must pay the company 2.75 percent for each transaction. In addition to Apple Pay, the new reader supports Android Pay and Samsung Pay.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member
    If you can't afford $49 up front…

you have bigger problems.
    mike1theunfetteredmindnolamacguywaverboyRayz2016ksecbestkeptsecretjbdragonjony0tallest skil
  • Reply 2 of 24
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    mknelson said:

Exactly what I was thinking.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Headline says $1 per month.
    Article say $1 per week.

And yes, $49 is not a split-minute decision. All of these costs add up, particularly for small businesses and sole proprietors. I currently pay $300-$400 per month just to keep my small business "in business". Adding $50 here and there is not something I'm willing to do without careful consideration.
    stanthemancalipatchythepiratejaniceandrustyredgeminipa
  • Reply 4 of 24
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    We're the only country without contactless cards. EU, Canada, hell, Mexico is going full tap-and-pay with cards. It's secure but noooo, we have to be 'different' - even though the card readers with ENV chip reader supports tap-and-pay, they refuse to enable it. For some reason dragging the financial processing market into the present day is like pulling teeth in the US of A.
    waverboyjbdragonredgeminipa
  • Reply 5 of 24
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Article say $1 per week.

And yes, $49 is not a split-minute decision. All of these costs add up, particularly for small businesses and sole proprietors. I currently pay $300-$400 per month just to keep my small business "in business". Adding $50 here and there is not something I'm willing to do without careful consideration.
    Disagree. This is not an "it adds up" cost. This is a payment processing system from a lucrative bunch of shoppers for $49! If it was $499, I would pause before buying. Anyone who pauses before buying this either already has a contactless payment solution in place, doesn't have a physical retail location or is just penny-wise and pound foolish and shouldn't be in any business at all.
    latifbpbobschlobnolamacguywaverboyjbdragonicoco3jony0
  • Reply 6 of 24
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    mike1 said:
    mknelson said:

Exactly, exactly what I was thinking.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 7 of 24
    sandorsandor Posts: 655member
    Article say $1 per week.

and, as usual, AppleInsider simply quotes itself in the article, rather than having actual useful links to the product.

https://squareup.com/shop/reader-contactless-chip-60-week

$1 a week

To the idea of $49 being "inexpensive":
    in the US, fraud liability is on the retailer if they do not use EMV chip. so that $49 also removes that liability.

edited May 2016 jbdragonicoco3
  • Reply 8 of 24
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Article say $1 per week.

How is a payment terminal a "here and there" thing?
    Lunch and then an afternoon coffee with a cookie is a "here and there" thing. (for about the same cost)
    waverboy
  • Reply 9 of 24
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Article say $1 per week.

It's a one time tax write off on a capital investment. Most small businesses should be looking for those. Moreover, it shifts the liability for credit card fraud back onto the card issuer, and that's pretty cheap insurance.
    edited May 2016 bonobobwaverboyjbdragonicoco3
  • Reply 10 of 24
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    adrayven said:
    We're the only country without contactless cards. EU, Canada, hell, Mexico is going full tap-and-pay with cards. It's secure but noooo, we have to be 'different' - even though the card readers with ENV chip reader supports tap-and-pay, they refuse to enable it. For some reason dragging the financial processing market into the present day is like pulling teeth in the US of A.
    I work in the credit card industry. Tap-to-pay cards are secure compared to shouting your card number at the top of your lungs, but that's about it. Then again, as many as seven companies see your card every time you swipe at a gas pump. The whole industry is held together with baling wire and a prayer.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    zimmie said:
    adrayven said:
    I work in the credit card industry. Tap-to-pay cards are secure compared to shouting your card number at the top of your lungs, but that's about it. Then again, as many as seven companies see your card every time you swipe at a gas pump. The whole industry is held together with baling wire and a prayer.
    Maybe you could clear up the myths about those credit card shields they sell on TV -- I've typically not been concerned about it since none of my cards are tap-to-pay capable, and my understanding is that's the only type of cards that can be skimmed, not chip & signature only.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Article say $1 per week.

i disagree. $50 for a POS solution is peanuts. if your small biz can't invest fifty bucks into your POS solution, you have a hobby -- not a business.
    edited May 2016 waverboy
  • Reply 13 of 24
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    "Small business owners" who think this is expensive are speaking nonsense. Card payment terminals and cash registers are significantly more than $49 + Cost of iPad. (Here the payment terminal is anywhere between $150-$400+monthly+%, a good register is between $1k-$2k)
    waverboy
  • Reply 14 of 24
    ajmasajmas Posts: 597member
    Is this available for merchants outside of the US? Couldn't see any information on this?
  • Reply 15 of 24
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    wigby said:
    Article say $1 per week.

Disagree. This is not an "it adds up" cost. This is a payment processing system from a lucrative bunch of shoppers for $49! If it was $499, I would pause before buying. Anyone who pauses before buying this either already has a contactless payment solution in place, doesn't have a physical retail location or is just penny-wise and pound foolish and shouldn't be in any business at all.
    I have one at the checkout desk and TBH I could have done without it. It's been used a grand total of three times in 4 months, and one single time for Apple Pay. That's it.  Using the standard Square swipe reader several times a day is preferred for the time-being. 
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 16 of 24
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    gatorguy said:
    wigby said:
    I have one at the checkout desk and TBH I could have done without it. It's been used a grand total of three times in 4 months, and one single time for Apple Pay. That's it.  Using the standard Square swipe reader several times a day is preferred for the time-being. 
    What do you sell, GG?
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lostkiwi said:
    gatorguy said:
    What do you sell, GG?
    Dreams, my friend, he sells dreams… A better Googley world… 
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    bobschlob said:
    mike1 said:
    Exactly, exactly what I was thinking.
    Damn! I'm last in the queue again!

If Square thinks $49 is the problem then I'm afraid they're looking in the wrong place. 

If I might direct management's attention to the 2.75% transaction fee… The device is priced for the small business, the transaction fees are not. 
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 19 of 24
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    transaction cost in US is RIDICULOUSLY expensive.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    lostkiwi said:
    gatorguy said:
    wigby said:
    What do you sell, GG?
    Retail/commercial graphic design and production. Primarily business services but also significant same-day/next-day image reproduction and large/grand-format graphics so some walk-in foot traffic as well. 
    edited June 2016