Withings' Body Cardio scale delivers at-home heart health monitoring

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2016
Withings on Wednesday launched a fourth-generation Wi-Fi connected scale called Body Cardio, offering users access to cutting edge cardiovascular health measurements formerly restricted to clinical settings, and other key health metrics, right on their iPhone.

The data is made possible thanks to pulse wave velocity (PWV) measurements, which are the speed at which heartbeat-generated vibrations spread out along the arterial wall. High PWV indicates stiff arteries or high blood pressure, while low readings suggest soft, healthy arteries.

To bring PWV into the home Withings developed a system sensitive enough to detect slight variations in weight caused by forces exerted each time the heart pumps blood in the aorta. Using impedance plethysmography at the foot, Body Cardio calculates pulse transit time (PTT), or the time it takes a systolic pressure wave generated at the base of the aorta to reach a user's foot. PTT readings are then used to deduce an estimated PWV.

The scale also reads measures of weight, body mass index, fat, muscle, water, bone mass and standing heart rate thanks to a scientific technique called biometrical impedance.

As a connected device, Body Cardio syncs with its partner Health Mate app to display graphs showing weight trends over time, step counts gathered by the iOS app or other Withings products and even the day's weather report on a built-in screen. Health Mate automatically syncs data for in-app viewing after every use of the scale.

Body Cardio is 0.7 inches thick, with a flat aluminum base, footless design and heat-tempered glass surface. Withings claims the design provides accurate readings on almost material, from hard floors to thick carpet. A built-in rechargeable battery lasts up to one year between charges.

Priced at $179.95, the Body Cardio is available in white and black from the Apple Store and the Withings website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Very interesting and likely to be of use for some.

I think it misses the mark for people who would want something like this - it needs to be a wearable device that can give you feedback when you are out and about under duress during a workout, run, walk or stressing at work, wherever
    Or maybe I'm being unrealistic and expecting too much.
    edited June 2016 apple tree
  • Reply 2 of 3
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Seems cool, but highly over-priced.  If they can half the price, they could achieve WAY more in sales.  
  • Reply 3 of 3
    joe28753joe28753 Posts: 82member
    I've had one of their scales for several years now, not sure which model. I think it's weight and fat. The fat number is not very accurate at all and fluctuates. But it's still helpful seeing a trend. Just comparing against your own numbers can be helpful even if the absolute number is inaccurate. That said, I'm a data geek and I'm super excited to see more at-home health devices like this coming out, for example quantifying heart health. I stopped by the Apple store today to pick up this latest one. I don't expect it to be medical grade accuracy, but I think it'll be better than nothing, and if a device can show me a trend and keep me motivated to live a healthy lifestyle, that's worth the money to me. Even if it's not super accurate.
    edited June 2016