More evidence of 'macOS' rebranding surfaces on Apple website

Posted:
in macOS
In another subtle hint that Apple plans to rebrand its desktop operating system "macOS," the company on Wednesday published a support document containing reference to the new naming convention alongside software pillars iOS, tvOS and watchOS.

As seen in the screenshot above, taken from an iTunes developer resource page covering upcoming changes to App Store revenue sharing, Apple refers to its Mac operating system as "macOS" -- with a lowercase "m" -- instead of OS X.

Apple has not voiced intent to switch away from OS X, but the company is dropping hints that a name change may be in the offing. In April, for example, an environmental FAQ webpage labeled Macs as "MacOS" devices, while at the same time making reference to OS X.

MacOS first popped up in a framework in March as part of Apple's OS X 10.11.4 release. The use of a capital "M" in April and a lowercase "m" today suggests internal branding might be in flux.

While Apple has yet to make an official announcement, it has been speculated that the company will do so at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference next week. Apple is expected to reveal roadmaps for of its major software platforms at the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    MacOS is fine. macOS is not. 
    elijahgmacseekerxixodysamoriakernapster
  • Reply 2 of 34
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Why stick with iOS then?
    They are all Interface variations of the Core OS X system.
    iPad has had special features since iOS 4 why not at least give it it's own padOS?
    elijahg
  • Reply 3 of 34
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,242member
    Looks like they've now updated that Resources page to say "OS X". Dead giveaway of what's coming Monday.

Why stick with iOS then?
    iPad has had special features since iOS 4 why not at least give it it's own padOS?

Not likely. iOS may have been derived from OS X, but it's since taken its own path.

Remember the "PowerBook" being renamed to "MacBook Pro"? That was their attempt at promoting the "Mac" more, but lately they've been really pushing "Apple" across their products.... "Apple TV", "Apple Music", "Apple Watch", "Apple Pay", "Apple this", "Apple that". OS X just seems to no longer fit with their naming conventions. It doesn't promote Apple or Mac. So they are likely going to call it "macOS" with some fancy new branding and marketing speak to support it. I'm okay with that. Times change. We adapt. As long as they don't name it "Apple OS"...  :#

What really matters to me is that they become more responsive to a perfect user interface and experience, not just focusing on big, bold new features! We're now on 5 updates to OS X 10.11 and there's still some UI glitches that are being ignored. According to one developer, the bug report is marked as "cosmetic", so has zero priority in Apple's developer circles. What a load of crap. It affects my use of this one app on a *daily* basis, multiple times a day! Not just cosmetic to me! 
    edited June 2016 doozydozendysamoria
  • Reply 4 of 34
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Why? I think it's a great naming convention: watchOS tvOS The device name is lowercase but the OS is uppercase because it's the important part of the name. By having the device as lowercase such as "mac" it acts as a distinguisher for which "OS" you are talking about. The only thing that could replace iOS would be mobileOS or portableOS or deviceOS but neither of these sound good so I don't know what they'd do if they were thinking about replacing the name for iOS.
    lollivermike1
  • Reply 5 of 34
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Just as "i" has always been a lowercase (iMac, iPod, iTunes, iOS), Mac should always be Capital "M" (Macintosh, Mac, MacOS).
    edited June 2016 thewhitefalcondysamoria
  • Reply 6 of 34
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    I'd cast my vote for macOS for reasons stated in a previous comment by lowededwookie. Tho I have to disagree that Apple ought to change iOS to anything different. The only convolution with the "i" nomenclature is with the iMac. Maybe Apple could drop the "i" so that the lineup for desktop is Mac Mini, Mac, and Mac Pro.
    lolliverai46
  • Reply 7 of 34
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Before someone jump and says that Apple has created fragmentation with too many OSes, may I remind that all four OSes are derivations of OS X.
    mattinozlolliverdoozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 34
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    bobschlob said:
    Just as "i" has always been a lowercase (iMac, iPod, iTunes, iOS), Mac should always be Capital "M" (Macintosh, Mac, MacOS).
    I disagree. Correct me if I'm wrong, it appears Apple's OS offerings have a uniform nomenclature where the 1st letter is lowercase. Makes sense to stick with the ubiquitous convention.
    iOS, tvOS, watchOS, soon to be macOS, and one day carOS?
    edited June 2016 lollivertechprod1gymike1
  • Reply 9 of 34
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    I'd cast my vote for macOS for reasons stated in a previous comment by lowededwookie. Tho I have to disagree that Apple ought to change iOS to anything different. The only convolution with the "i" nomenclature is with the iMac. Maybe Apple could drop the "i" so that the lineup for desktop is Mac Mini, Mac, and Mac Pro.
    Why remove the capitals in one case, but not in the other?
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Innovation! :P  Ha ha.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    bobschlob said:
    Why remove the capitals in one case, but not in the other?
    Well most average people don't care to much about the OS and that is a good thing that they don't have to.
    So dropping the capital and de-emphasing the OS name as a brand name could be seen as a acknowledgement of the fact the aim for the OS is to not get in peoples way and let the hardware and what it get do to be the product.

• Reply 12 of 34
    robintoshrobintosh Posts: 21member
    MacOS would be accepted. tv and watch are generic, so generic would be computerOS, but Mac is Mac, so MacOS is how it should be.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    mattinoz said:
    Why stick with iOS then?

Because the UI elements, the basic usage, and the way people interact with the iPads and iPhones are the same. (The Pencil introduces some new abilities, but it's still the same basic interaction. Besides, who's to say they aren't going to make the iPhone 7 work with the Pencil?)

So, we have iOS which runs on i-Devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch), tvOS that runs on the AppleTV, watchOS, on the AppleWatch, and macOS on the Apple Macintosh.

And before anyone says it, the iMac is clearly not an i-Device, and I actually think they should drop the "i" from it, and go with either just "Mac" or "Mac Air", to bring it in line with the other product line names. Most likely just "Mac", since they seem to be dropping "Air" from the other lines (iPad and MacBook - although there's no MacBook mini and no adjectiveless iPad).

doozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 34
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    robintosh said:
    MacOS would be accepted. tv and watch are generic, so generic would be computerOS, but Mac is Mac, so MacOS is how it should be.
    I still disagree.

Once again the OS is the product the device be it "mac", "tv", "watch" is the identifier.

It's a standard programming naming convention as well and a naming convention encouraged in Swift from all the tutorials I've seen. Check out the WWDC 2016 invite:

https://developer.apple.com

Checkout these tutorials:

https://www.raywenderlich.com/114234/learn-to-code-ios-apps-with-swift-tutorial-3-arrays-objects-and-classes

Where there's two words the first word is always lowercase and the second is first letter uppercase. It's just that OS is always uppercase based on it being an abbreviation.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 15 of 34
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Oh sure, if you say so. It may be fine to hundreds of millions of others, but not you, so case closed. Nevermind the fact that it's iOS, tvOS, watchOS, but this one should be capitalized cause a troll like you says so.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 34
    anome said:
    mattinoz said:
    Why stick with iOS then?

Because the UI elements, the basic usage, and the way people interact with the iPads and iPhones are the same. (The Pencil introduces some new abilities, but it's still the same basic interaction. Besides, who's to say they aren't going to make the iPhone 7 work with the Pencil?)

Yes Core basic usage is the same between iOS and iPad extensions although they are getting further apart and should get further too (fingers crossed) since the iPad was introduced. Pencil makes that difference greater on the pro's but lots of little differences make that a fairly big gap not to mention just the basic gap between screen sizes.

I'd say the amount of difference between iPhone iOS and iPad iOS was as much as iOS to watchOS or macOS and the common elements would be consistent with what is common of all the family. 

If padOS wasn't shackled to iOS it could push the features that would make the iPads a more distinct product. Even allow more macOS like features that would be very useful on such a killer lightweight productive machine.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    call it what you want, just bring back arrowheads in scroll bars. tired of dragging and using arrow keys in an imprecise manner.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    slurpy said:
    Oh sure, if you say so. It may be fine to hundreds of millions of others, but not you, so case closed. Nevermind the fact that it's iOS, tvOS, watchOS, but this one should be capitalized cause a troll like you says so.

Well Mac is a proper noun or a special word or what have you. watch and TV aren't

and I'm not sure why you're calling someone a troll for simply voicing their opinion
    edited June 2016 dysamoria
  • Reply 19 of 34
    why-why- Posts: 305member
      It's just that OS is always uppercase based on it being an abbreviation.

technically it's an initialism ;)
    edited June 2016 realjustinlong
  • Reply 20 of 34
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    Wouldn't it be interesting if OS X became macOS and iOS became iOS X?  ;)