Apple prepares San Francisco venues for WWDC 2016

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2016
As it does every year, Apple on Friday began to decorate the two main San Francisco venues that will host this year's Worldwide Developers Conference, installing banners, flags, utility equipment and more.

Bill Graham Auditorium. | Source: Jamie Whitaker via Instagram

San Francisco locals and visitors in town for WWDC 2016 are posting photos of Apple's building preparations to social media outlets like Instagram and Twitter, some of which show exterior work at Bill Graham Civic Auditorium is nearly complete. Apple will kick off this year's event at the 7,000-seat auditorium on Monday.

The building is dressed with flags and signage bearing Apple logos -- in a rainbow of colors to match WWDC 2016's theme -- including a massive 15-foot version borrowed from last year's iPhone event. Photos of what appears to be a large, portable commercial HVAC apparatus positioned outside Bill Graham, seen below, are also circulating around the web. It seems Apple is expecting a big turnout.

Source: Franck Bill? via Instagram

Following this past week's work at Bill Graham Auditorium, contractors started preparing the nearby Moscone West building on Friday. In years past, the site was WWDC central, playing host to Apple's keynote presentation, developer sessions and closing bash. It last saw a WWDC keynote in 2014.

Like last year's conference, Moscone West will act as the hub of operations for developers. There, attendees can take part in informational sessions and hands-on labs run by Apple engineers, consultations with key Apple personnel, special guest speaker presentations and get togethers with colleagues.

Apple logo goes up at Moscone West. | Source: User "flightresponse" via Instagram

WWDC 2016 kicks off on Monday, June 13 at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern, and concludes with a free concert for guests on Thursday, June 16. Apple is expected to detail the future of its major software platforms -- iOS, OS X, watchOS and tvOS -- throughout the conference, while rumors suggest the company might take the opportunity to announce new MacBook hardware and Apple Pay for websites.

AppleInsider will be on the scene with live coverage of events, announcements and goings on starting with Monday's keynote.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    That apparent air conditioning unit is something else.  Hard to believe the air conditioning system is that undersized at this venue.

In any event I'm actually expecting a lot of new stuff, both hardware and software.  Some of it will be pretty obvious some are just guesses.   Here are a few that come to mind:
    1. New operating systems - an easy one.
    2. Siri.   Also on the Mac with hopefully a good amount of AI done locally.  
    3. New XCode and Swift, this is all public knowledge but I'm thinking Swift 3 will come at the same time as the new OS releases.  
    4. New networking hardware.  
    5. New laptops.
    6. New iMacs
    7. A replacement for the Mac Mini that better meets the needs of users that want a monitor free desktop solution that isn't an expensive Mac Pro
    8. New Mac Pro, announced but maybe not shipping.   The problem here is GPU cards, they really need 14 nm pro cards.  Unless AMD and Apple have a project here to deliver suitable cards early I don't see an updated Mac Pro shipping until late this year. 
    9. New iOS devices.  
    10. Mac Book Air by the way will be completely refactored to lower price well below $1000, possibly aiming for $750 or less.   The goal is to win back much of the eduction market they have lost due to not having a suitable laptop.  This could very well be an ARM based laptop.  
    11. Apple will start to take AI seriously on the Mac.   This will be partly demonstrated by Siri for the Mac.   SDK's will be coming.   
    12. Apple transitions to Python 3 as the default Python install.   {Well we can hope}
    13. Instead of #12 above Apple pushes scripting with Swift.   
    14. Scripting comes to all platforms with Swift scripting support to be built into Apple apps with OS support for third party apps.  Yes scriptable iOS apps!  
    15. Latest OpenCL adoption.    Apple really needs to stand behind OpenCL for those professionals using GPU compute.  
    16. Significantly enhanced graphics drivers.  It is embarrassing to realize that open source Linux GPU drivers perform better.   Apple might finally address this.  
    17. Mac OS is enhanced for performance finally killing the unexplained beach balls.  
    18. Apple officially supports external GPUs.  The market dies though because of outlandish pricing. 
    19. All of the new Macs will contain an ARM coprocessor.   This to enable always on SIRI and to prep for an ARM transition. The ARM processor will be capable of running apps but Apple will highlight it as an enabler for SIRI on the Mac.  All voice commands and Siri interaction will be handled by the ARM chip thus affording the Mac a very low power always aware Siri - Hey Siri.  
    20. New Apple Swag.    Including Apple flip flops for the Southern California NUDIST.  

There you go an easy 20.  A little over two days to go now, we will soon know how foolish these 20 are.  

iqatedoslprescottpatchythepirate
  • Reply 2 of 13
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    So basically all that's gone up so far is the white Apple logo?
    tyler82
  • Reply 3 of 13
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
     I'd like to see Apple work closely with new-found friend, IBM, to significantly develop Watson's capability with SIRI perhaps providing increasingly capable, natural language access.

http://www.ibm.com/cloud-computing/bluemix/watson/

I too would like a new Apple Swag...
    lolliver
  • Reply 4 of 13
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Clearly it's Eddie Cue's fault.
    ai46singularity
  • Reply 5 of 13
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I noticed the signage at Moscone is all dark. I wonder if that signifies anything.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    I really like how the white Apple logo fits in with traditional/classic architecture. The store's in London, Paris, etc., really look great. 
  • Reply 7 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    quinney said:
    Clearly it's Eddie Cue's fault.
    Bahahahaha! 
  • Reply 8 of 13
    wizard69 said:
    That apparent air conditioning unit is something else.  Hard to believe the air conditioning system is that undersized at this venue.

In any event I'm actually expecting a lot of new stuff, both hardware and software.  Some of it will be pretty obvious some are just guesses.   Here are a few that come to mind:
    3. New XCode and Swift, this is all public knowledge but I'm thinking Swift 3 will come at the same time as the new OS releases.  
    5. New laptops.
    6. New iMacs
    7. A replacement for the Mac Mini that better meets the needs of users that want a monitor free desktop solution that isn't an expensive Mac Pro
    8. New Mac Pro, announced but maybe not shipping.   The problem here is GPU cards, they really need 14 nm pro cards.  Unless AMD and Apple have a project here to deliver suitable cards early I don't see an updated Mac Pro shipping until late this year. 
    9. New iOS devices.  
    10. Mac Book Air by the way will be completely refactored to lower price well below $1000, possibly aiming for $750 or less.   The goal is to win back much of the eduction market they have lost due to not having a suitable laptop.  This could very well be an ARM based laptop.  
    11. Apple will start to take AI seriously on the Mac.   This will be partly demonstrated by Siri for the Mac.   SDK's will be coming.   
    12. Apple transitions to Python 3 as the default Python install.   {Well we can hope}
    14. Scripting comes to all platforms with Swift scripting support to be built into Apple apps with OS support for third party apps.  Yes scriptable iOS apps!  
    15. Latest OpenCL adoption.    Apple really needs to stand behind OpenCL for those professionals using GPU compute.  
    16. Significantly enhanced graphics drivers.  It is embarrassing to realize that open source Linux GPU drivers perform better.   Apple might finally address this.  
    17. Mac OS is enhanced for performance finally killing the unexplained beach balls.  
    18. Apple officially supports external GPUs.  The market dies though because of outlandish pricing. 
    19. All of the new Macs will contain an ARM coprocessor.   This to enable always on SIRI and to prep for an ARM transition. The ARM processor will be capable of running apps but Apple will highlight it as an enabler for SIRI on the Mac.  All voice commands and Siri interaction will be handled by the ARM chip thus affording the Mac a very low power always aware Siri - Hey Siri.  
    20. New Apple Swag.    Including Apple flip flops for the Southern California NUDIST.  

There you go an easy 20.  A little over two days to go now, we will soon know how foolish these 20 are.  

I wouldn't bet on 90% of what you said....
  • Reply 9 of 13
    wizard69 said:

5. New laptops.
    6. New iMacs
    9. New iOS devices.  

Re: #8
    I was disappointed when Apple axed the Xserve and Xserve RAID. I think they both had a lot of potential for office environments and design studios, and they were scalable as a business grew. The Mac Pro looks "cool", but it's overly priced and is not scalable. $3000 for the base model, and up to $10,000 for the maxed out version, plus extra for displays and storage makes it incapable of competing with Linux and Windows machines. I predict that the Mac Pro will go the way of the Cube after not too long; cool looking, but ultimately not worth the price, or the cost of Apple's investment.
    Apple should bring back the Xserve and RAID, price them competitively, and they'll get a lot of support from the business and pro markets. Imagine a base Xserve for, say, $1500, and a maxed out model for around $4,000, and a RAID starting out at $1,000 (6 TB) and maxed out at $5,000 (36 or 48 TB). A company could then build its own cloud for all its employees' iPhones, iPads, iMacs, MacBooks, etc., that could then be further backed up by a secure, encrypted corporate iCloud account.
    It's great that the iPhone has become the huge success that it has; its put Apple at the top of the tech industry. But it's disappointing that Apple as all but abandoned the pro market in the process—e.g. killing Aperture, "simplifying" Final Cut Pro X, etc. Apple is a big enough company that they can invest the R & D necessary to satisfy consumers and professionals.
    baconstangstevenoz
  • Reply 10 of 13
    wizard69 said:

5. New laptops.
    6. New iMacs
    9. New iOS devices.  

Re: #8
    I was disappointed when Apple axed the Xserve and Xserve RAID. I think they both had a lot of potential for office environments and design studios, and they were scalable as a business grew. The Mac Pro looks "cool", but it's overly priced and is not scalable. $3000 for the base model, and up to $10,000 for the maxed out version, plus extra for displays and storage makes it incapable of competing with Linux and Windows machines. I predict that the Mac Pro will go the way of the Cube after not too long; cool looking, but ultimately not worth the price, or the cost of Apple's investment.
    Apple should bring back the Xserve and RAID, price them competitively, and they'll get a lot of support from the business and pro markets. Imagine a base Xserve for, say, $1500, and a maxed out model for around $4,000, and a RAID starting out at $1,000 (6 TB) and maxed out at $5,000 (36 or 48 TB). A company could then build its own cloud for all its employees' iPhones, iPads, iMacs, MacBooks, etc., that could then be further backed up by a secure, encrypted corporate iCloud account.
    It's great that the iPhone has become the huge success that it has; its put Apple at the top of the tech industry. But it's disappointing that Apple as all but abandoned the pro market in the process—e.g. killing Aperture, "simplifying" Final Cut Pro X, etc. Apple is a big enough company that they can invest the R & D necessary to satisfy consumers and professionals.

The Xserve was dropped due to lack of demand...basically it wasn't a big seller. It wasn't worth their time and money to continue developing the Xserve platform. And Xserve's weren't cheap either. They started at $3,000 and went up near $20,000 depending on how you configured it. You don't need to develop an Xserve to have your own cloud. You can do that with any hardware. 

If Apple would actually put forth some effort in the MacPro instead of releasing something in Sept 2013 and neglecting it I think it would get more recognition. 
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 11 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    wizard69 said:
    5. New iOS devices.  
    6. Apple transitions to Python 3 as the default Python install.   {Well we can hope}
    7. Instead of #[whoops, they changed] above Apple pushes scripting with Swift.   
    8. Scripting comes to all platforms with Swift scripting support to be built into Apple apps with OS support for third party apps.  Yes scriptable iOS apps!  
    9. Latest OpenCL adoption. Apple really needs to stand behind OpenCL for those professionals using GPU compute. 
    I buy these, at least. I refuse to be optimistic in any way.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I would not say Apple has been without mistakes but they do know their business and the future is not with Pro machines. I know a few professional photographers and they use a Pro Macbook and high end iMac for everything. Science and video may still require the strongest machine out there but that is a niche market that Apple can leave to others.
    macxpress
  • Reply 13 of 13
    spice-boy said:
    I would not say Apple has been without mistakes but they do know their business and the future is not with Pro machines. I know a few professional photographers and they use a Pro Macbook and high end iMac for everything. Science and video may still require the strongest machine out there but that is a niche market that Apple can leave to others.

I'm not a professional, but I would agree that I bet 99% of professionals could just get away with using a high end custom configured 5K iMac. Its a great machine with a killer display, decent graphics, and can be configured with very fast flash storage (up to 1TB) , 32GB of RAM, and a reasonably fast Core i7 CPU. Plus, it still has Thunderbolt 2 so you can still connect to expansion chassis just like the Mac Pro. 

If you're on the go, then just get a high-end 15" MacBook Pro Retina and thats the best you can do for mobile professional users.