iOS 10 Messages gain rich links, 3X bigger emojis, bubble effects & third-party app integration

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2016
As the most-used app on iOS, Apple's Messages will receive a major overhaul in the upcoming iOS 10 update, including a number of emoji-related enhancements, dynamic text bubbles, and rich links with images automatically integrated into chats. Third-party developers will also be able to tap into and expand iMessages with their own creations

With iOS 10, emojis can be presented three times bigger than before. Recommended emojis will also be presented in predictive QuickType recommendations.

Typing a message and then switching to the emoji keyboard will also cause iOS 10 to recommend words it can replace with certain emoji. Simply tap on the highlighted words to replace them with the appropriate emoji.

Apple will also integrate dynamic bubbles, which can grow, shrink or offer other dynamic presentations based on a user's selection. This will allow people to express themselves in unique ways, as digital versions of shouting or whispering, for example.

Users will also be able to tap on a received message bubble to react to it specifically, such as with a thumbs-up or a heart.

Another feature called "Invisible Ink" allows users to send a secret message that can only be seen when the recipient wipes the particles away to reveal the message, adding an element of surprise.

In another change, images can be presented in new ways, such as pictures that are only revealed when a user taps on them. Digital Touch is also coming from Apple Watch to iOS, allowing users to draw handwritten responses or even share their heartbeat.

iOS 10 will also introduce full-screen effects in Messages. In one example, fireworks were shown in the background behind text bubbles, temporarily presenting a dynamic display in the message window.

Applications will also be able to integrate with a new feature called "iMessage Apps." In one example, a user could use Square Cash to transfer money to another user via a third-party app plugin.

In another demonstration, a collection of Disney-branded stickers could be accessed, ranging from Mickey Mouse to Finding Dory. Stickers could also be "peeled" from the keyboard and placed onto a received picture message.

Another third-party app showed a group collaborating on an order for delivered food, thanks to a "group cart" via a third-party iMessage App.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Here’s the iOS 10 compatibility list.

zoetmblostkiwiration al
  • Reply 2 of 41
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Who thought this was a good idea, and who is responsible for making sure it isn't another attack vector...
  • Reply 3 of 41
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Hurl! While it's nice to see Apple leveraging iMessage and locking people in to only talking with other iMessage users, if anyone I know uses this new obnoxiousness more than once I'm going to have to block their number. Looks perfect for the 14 year old girl demographic.

(The collaborative apps looked like there could be some real potential, though.)
    baconstang
  • Reply 4 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Who wants to bet that licensed characters are PAID attachments...

edited June 2016 mdriftmeyer
  • Reply 5 of 41
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Here’s the iOS 10 compatibility list.

I finally upgraded from an iPad2 to the 9.7" Pro, but my wife hasn't yet. No way on earth I would ever recommend she update to iOS10. 9 is slow enough. I really appreciate Apple keeping older products viable, but they really should just cut bait on the iPad2 now.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 6 of 41
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    ah yes, lets shit on this....just because.

nonsense. Messages is also my most-used app, and i think it looks awesome and tons of fun. even my 74 yo dad likes to send iMessages with emoji, and we're going to have a lot of fun sending effects and whatnot.

iOS is doing pretty well on security -- so well that the FBI tried to force them to handle over their keys. so i feel pretty confident in Apple's ability to keep on doing a good job. 
    lostkiwiration alcreek0512patchythepiratebrometheusthepixeldocwilliamlondoniosenthusiastTurboPGT
  • Reply 7 of 41
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    The big question now is how the heck do I protect myself from those terrifying full screen effects?? I hope I can turn on and off stuff at the receiving end. Shrug.
    Other than that, mostly nice.
    baconstang
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    So… no Android version then. 
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 9 of 41
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    I wish the platform Message apps were more compatible.  Messages sent and received show up on both my iOS and OS X devices.  But delete a thread on one and it persists on the other platform. i.e., unlike mail messages, the threads don't truly sync across apple's own platforms.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

nonsense. Messages is also my most-used app, and i think it looks awesome and tons of fun. even my 74 yo dad likes to send iMessages with emoji, and we're going to have a lot of fun sending effects and whatnot.

iOS is doing pretty well on security -- so well that the FBI tried to force them to handle over their keys. so i feel pretty confident in Apple's ability to keep on doing a good job. 
    I don't see the "just because" when people are giving very specific reasons why they don't like these enhancements; just as you at giving reasons why you like the enhancements.

Personally, I'm glad they did something, but it's not
    of the markup and visual appeal for better and easier communication that I wanted. I hope I can disable most of these features as I'm not for pizzazz in my text bubbles. 
    edited June 2016 baconstang
  • Reply 11 of 41
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

You must live through your phone. It's a tool, not a substitution for living.
    roger wade
  • Reply 12 of 41
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Soli said:

I don't see the "just because" when people are giving very specific reasons why they don't like these enhancements; just as you at giving reasons why you like the enhancements.

of the markup and visual appeal for better and easier communication that I wanted. I hope I can disable most of these features are I'm not for pizzazz in my text bubbles. 
    I personally don't use emojis and don't understand the big fuss over them.  And I agree that most serious people won't use them and that most of these features are for kids (of any age).   But it doesn't bother me that they're there as long as it didn't get in the way of developing something actually useful.   The fact is for some time now, Apple's products appeal to a very wide range of users and to keep sales up, they've got to provide functions and enhancements that appeal to all of those markets, from 6-year-old girls to business users to hackers to 90-year-old men who didn't start using a computer until 2006.    That's what happens when you stop being a BMW and start being a mass market consumer products company.     
    baconstang
  • Reply 13 of 41
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The only thing I wanted from the entire keynote—I'm not exaggerating—was iMessage for Android. Do I use an android device? No. Do most of my contacts? Absolutely. Would an Android client allow me to use iMessage and all its features exclusively for all my messaging needs? Yep.

iMessage for Android would significantly simplicity my mobile life and greatly improve my Apple device experience (my technological life).
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 14 of 41
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Out of all the features mentioned I only cared about two. The extra large emoji (my eyes are getting old) and the ability to type a message and replace words with emoji.

Both of those are for no other reason than I'm a middle-aged guy who has two teens and also assorted more youthful friends in group threads (cycling and theater) who use them extensively and I want to occasionally be seen as hanging in there technologically.

The rest honestly was stuff it felt like Jobs would have hated and demanded removed for cluttering up the user interface. One button emoji suggestions feels like Apple. Third party stickers, full screen and bubble effects feel like clutteri and distracting hell. 
  • Reply 15 of 41

You must live through your phone. It's a tool, not a substitution for living.
    nope, but I message friends and family all the time thru my phone, tablet, and computer. it's a valid form of communication. sorry you're so lonely out there. 
    lostkiwiration alTurboPGTboopthesnoot
  • Reply 16 of 41

zoetmb said:
    Soli said:

of the markup and visual appeal for better and easier communication that I wanted. I hope I can disable most of these features are I'm not for pizzazz in my text bubbles. 
    I personally don't use emojis and don't understand the big fuss over them.  And I agree that most serious people won't use them and that most of these features are for kids (of any age).   But it doesn't bother me that they're there as long as it didn't get in the way of developing something actually useful.   The fact is for some time now, Apple's products appeal to a very wide range of users and to keep sales up, they've got to provide functions and enhancements that appeal to all of those markets, from 6-year-old girls to business users to hackers to 90-year-old men who didn't start using a computer until 2006.    That's what happens when you stop being a BMW and start being a mass market consumer products company.     
    nope. see your own logic fail? you say don't use or understand emoji, then claim they're for kids. but since you don't know or use them, you've already admitted your ignorance. which is why you're 100% wrong -- they aren't just for kids. adults of all ages use them, including the senior citizens I message (family, friends, neighbors).

youre just demonstrating a common techie personality fault -- lack of empathy. assuming your use cases are the same as others. they aren't. 
    TurboPGTmike1
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Soli said:

There is a certain amount of "me-too-ism" going on with the expanded iMessage visuals, but I am OK with it. When you look at what WeChat and Skype are doing with stickers, along with the Bitmoji keyboard, you can see that people are having fun with them. I find even business colleagues (albeit only those I am on familiar terms) make use of these. Obviously, you don't need to send them yourself. I'm not sure if you can refuse them from others though, but if you could, you might not "get" what the message is--and may have to explain why not.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    A lot of people in China like to use stickers and detailed emoji. So this will help iMessage appeal to them.
    It will be hard to pry them off of WeChat though. That app is ridiculously popular there. 
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 19 of 41
    larz2112larz2112 Posts: 291member
    jasenj1 said:
    Hurl! While it's nice to see Apple leveraging iMessage and locking people in to only talking with other iMessage users, if anyone I know uses this new obnoxiousness more than once I'm going to have to block their number. Looks perfect for the 14 year old girl demographic.
    Haha! Seriously, who was in charge of these enhancements, a bunch of tweens?
    tallest skilmdriftmeyer
  • Reply 20 of 41
    larz2112larz2112 Posts: 291member
    Who wants to bet that licensed characters are PAID attachments...

My bet is that you will need to buy a pack of stickers that you can then use at will. I don't think you will be charged every time you use one. That would be ridiculous, so on second thought, that's probably how it will work.