Dissection of the AI logo

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

We've all accessed it about a zillion times, but I wonder if we've really looked at it.

The font, for example, used to make up the text: what is it? And what does the retro-future stlye mean? Are we going back to the future? Are we going forward to the past? Is it time for the funk?

And the four dots: What are they?

The first one looks like an iBook (dual USB) speaker grille, but my speakers don't have a white ring around them. Do yours? Does it symbolize something? Like the idea that the white ring of thruth will come from these speakers?

The second one is easily identifiable: The letter 'k' on a smoke powerbook g4 keyboard. Still, why 'k'? Is this to symbolize AI's descent into a virtual k-hole, strung out on the website version of ketamine?

The third dot. It's so extremely close-up and undefineable. Does it represent the inscrutable and mysterious nature of normality?

Finally, the fourth dot. I think it's a graphite case closeup, but I'm not sure. The scale is also different. Maybe it represents the surface of things, being a closeup of surface.

Finally, the dots taken together: Why the small portholes of vision? Does this represent the very nature of tracking Apple and the Mac? That you can only see part of the picture, and even when you see clearly, you get no context? Is this allusion to the infuriating secrecy enshrouding Apple?

Jet

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to General Discussion. This is AppleOutsider.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Jet, get some sleep.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    The third hole is the side of a Dual-USB iBook. Specifically, the headphone and RGB ports.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Well this is a strange turn of events. Dearest Jamie, Moderator Extraordinaire, I doth protest.

To wit - General Discussion: General tech discussion, including purchasing advice and industry trends.

or, in the PG - General Discussion is the forum for nonspecific tech conversations, including those about purchasing advice, and tech industry happenings. It is not the place to ask for technical support- such questions should be posted in the Genius Bar forum.

So, is a discussion of AI's logo General Tech, purchasing advice, or industry trends? I am not asking for technical support, either.

OTOH, we have AppleOutsider: According to the PG: The purpose of AppleOutsider is to provide an area for discussion of topics that do not relate to the tech industry. The tone of this forum is generally lighthearted and fun.

Basically, the idea of AO is to goof off, talk lightly on a variety of things, and generally waste time. As strange as it may seem, I think that topics of a non-Suggestion (I almost said 'Suggestive') sort re: AppleInsider (the website) belong in AppleOutsider (the forum). Let us deconstruct the concept of the word AppleOutsider: Outside of Apple is the quickest and dirtiest transliteration. If we were to draw a circle, and include all Apple-realted toics inside the circle, we'd find that AI (the website) resides outside. Hence, AI topics probably belong in AO (again, assuming they are not suggestions).

Ah, well. Jamie, I'm just jerking your chain. Think nothing of this.

As for you, Francis, you mind your own business! I'll stay up all night if I want to! Since nothing momentous like the onset of birthdayness occured to me, you get this limp-wristed effort of a post, the one that started this thread.

So, to boil and unneccessarily long (and sadly, looking back upon it, not funny) post down:

What is the AI font? And what are the four pics below them?

Happiness is a warm gun*,

Jet

* - I have often wondered why no gangsta rappers every sampled that Beatles lyric into a song.....seems like the perfect bit of irony, IMO.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jet Powers:

<strong>Well this is a strange turn of events. Dearest Jamie, Moderator Extraordinaire, I doth protest.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Also from the <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/guidelines.html"; target="_blank">Posting Guidelines</a>:

[quote]If your thread is moved, the bulletin board software will automatically append a notice to the top of the thread page stating the forum which the thread has been moved to. Again, <strong>if you feel your thread was moved in error, please contact the moderator responsible, or an administrator via email or private message.</strong>

<hr></blockquote>

It stays here, AppleOutsider is for real life stuff.

J :cool:
  • Reply 6 of 7
    The third is the side of a TiBook or PowerBook G4 and yes, I think the fourth is the handle of a G4 Tower. But
  • Reply 7 of 7
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    Font: Decipher

Circle 1: iBook speaker

Circle 2: PowerBook keyboard

Circle 3: Left side of iBook

Circle 4: Top left of Power Mac