Apple led effort to remove rifle emoji from Unicode 9.0, report says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2016
A proposed rifle emoji initially set for release as part of Unicode 9.0 was removed from consideration after Unicode Consortium delegates representing Apple and Microsoft expressed disapproval of its inclusion, a report said Friday.

While the decision to nix a rifle emoji from the upcoming standard was unanimous, sources who attended Unicode's quarterly May meeting said Apple led the charge to quash its inclusion, reports BuzzFeed News. Rifle emoji variants had already moved through the encoding process on their way to release this month, but Apple said it would not support their inclusion. Microsoft seconded Apple's contention.

Apple is not the first to take issue with the now dead firearm emoji. A UK gun control lobby protested the same issue after Unicode 9.0 candidates were announced last year, saying the inclusion of a rifle glyph is tantamount to familiarizing users with a weapon through an international standard. In response, Unicode President Mark Davis said the emoji was designed as part of a pack of Olympic sport graphics.

Interestingly, another Olympic emoji illustrating the modern pentathlon, which incorporates pistol shooting as a sanctioned event, was also removed from consideration.

As AppleInsider reported last week, the rifle character was original set to debut in Unicode 9.0 on June 21 when the standard officially launches on June 21.

As it stands, the rifle and modern pentathlon assets will be included in Unicode 9.0 as characters without corresponding emoji representations. In other words, Unicode is adding a monochrome rifle symbol to its database, but will not incorporate a glyph into the dataset used to create emoji keyboards.
lolliver

Comments

• Reply 1 of 101
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    And this changes the world how??? It won't stop any violence. I guess I'm just not seeing the point of this. I know terrible things have happened recently, things that should have never happened and too many innocent people are getting killed but this isn't the answer IMO. 
    baconstangmacseekerbobcat62tallest skilcornchipentropyssteveh
  • Reply 2 of 101
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    So is Apple going to start removing games with violence from the App Store. Or iTunes media that contains violence?

Btw, the Orlando killer was investigated by the FBI 3 times. Why isn't that what everyone is focusing on? How the hell did the FBI let this guy go?
    edited June 2016 baconstangbobcat62tallest skillibertyforallcornchipstevehjagnut
  • Reply 3 of 101
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,108member
    That'll save lives.
    While they're at it, remove the pile of poo emoji, I'm tired of stepping in poop on the sidewalk.
    bobcat62tallest skilcornchipstevehjagnut
  • Reply 4 of 101
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Apparently guns are politically incorrect, but not the people who use those guns to kill other people. What a fucked up culture we have created where inanimate objects are the cause of hatred and violence, not the human beings making use of those inanimate objects.
    edited June 2016 rogifan_newmacseekerbobcat62tallest skilcornchipmoreckentropyswonkothesanesingularitysteveh
  • Reply 5 of 101
    sy1492sy1492 Posts: 13member
    This is just plan ridiculous. Meanwhile, Apple, Google, etc have business dealings with countries who have punished gays in the past. If you want to do something, stand up to this at least.
    rogifan_newbaconstangmacseekerbobcat62entropyssteveh
  • Reply 6 of 101
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    But...there's already a handgun, a bomb, a knife and a sword...so what was Apple's response when they were proposed? Or perhaps they were introduced at a time when Apple did not wield the persuasive power it currently does.
    baconstangstompybobcat62tallest skilsteveh
  • Reply 7 of 101
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    This is as bad as removin things from Apple's stores that referenced the confederate flag. Absolute nonsense. But that's the politically correct culture Tim Cook is breeding at Apple.
    macseekerbobcat62tallest skilentropysindyfx
  • Reply 8 of 101
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    funny. I seem to recall many users here stating that they couldn't care two ways about emojis. I agree that this move isn't entirely necessary, but I think you're all blowing it out of proportion
    boopthesnootmac_dogr00fus1lollivercrowleymdriftmeyer
  • Reply 9 of 101
    I'm glad to see that Apple takes guns and gun violence seriously.  Civilians have no business using rifle emojis.
    edited June 2016 bobcat62lolliverbaconstangsteveh
  • Reply 10 of 101
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    So is Apple going to start removing games with violence from the App Store. Or iTunes media that contains violence?

Btw, the Orlando killer was investigated by the FBI 3 times. Why isn't that what everyone is focusing on? How the hell did the FBI let this guy go?
    They are. Try reading something else besides appleinsider. 
  • Reply 11 of 101
    This is as bad as removin things from Apple's stores that referenced the confederate flag. Absolute nonsense. But that's the politically correct culture Tim Cook is breeding at Apple.
    If "politically correct" wasn't just the jerks way of whining that people expect you to act like a decent human being, I might care about your pathetic and mindless opinion. 

Probably not though. 
    davenmattinozwhy-pscooter63lolliverwelshdogroundaboutnowP-DogNCcrowleysigma4life
  • Reply 12 of 101
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    If the symbol is meant to be an Olympic thing why is Google's the only graphic that looks like the weapons used in the Olympics?
  • Reply 13 of 101
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Good job. I can see violent, controlling people using it as a subtle way of threading people and then just saying it was a harmless emoji. Let them spell their threats out in words that can be used against them in a courtroom.
    mattinozlolliver
  • Reply 14 of 101
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

It is OBama's policy to install fear into the US by importing Muslim terrorists to make it easier to implement Marshall law.    Make no mistake here the democrats aren't much different than the organizations that gave us WW2 Germany.
    bobcat62apple ][razorpit
  • Reply 15 of 101

Probably the biggest mistake he has made as a manager.
    bobcat62razorpitnikon133
  • Reply 16 of 101

why- said:
    funny. I seem to recall many users here stating that they couldn't care two ways about emojis. I agree that this move isn't entirely necessary, but I think you're all blowing it out of proportion
    Out of proportion, you have people with not idea what a firearm even is, trying to outlaw them because they are afraid.
  • Reply 17 of 101
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    wizard69 said:

Btw, the Orlando killer was investigated by the FBI 3 times. Why isn't that what's everyone is focusing on? How the hell did the FBI let this guy go?
    It is OBama's policy to install fear into the US by importing Muslim terrorists to make it easier to implement Marshall law.    Make no mistake here the democrats aren't much different than the organizations that gave us WW2 Germany.
    The killer was born here. Think before you post.
    lolliverbaconstangcrowleynolamacguy
  • Reply 18 of 101
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    Pathetic.

I can't believe this assbackwards world.
    steveh
  • Reply 19 of 101
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

daven said:
    wizard69 said:
    The killer was born here. Think before you post.
    Irrelevant. Their ideology was foreign, from elsewhere.

And their ideology is complete garbage, and it's going to end up in the dumpster soon.
    edited June 2016 razorpitsteveh
  • Reply 20 of 101
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    wizard69 said:
    Make no mistake here the democrats aren't much different than the organizations that gave us WW2 Germany.
    The dems are worse, because the appeasers of the past had less history to draw from, and there's no excuse for such cowardness and appeasement today.

Today's lefists make Chamberlain look good in comparison. What a truly disgusting bunch of people. 
    cornchipsteveh