MBPs suddenly out of stock everywhere -could this mean they're coming?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
I was (like everybody else) waiting for Skylake... It didn't come at WWDC, and we're now hearing as late as the 4th calendar quarter because it may well be Sierra only... I need a computer much sooner than that (due to my laptop being in use on an enormous (30 TB!) photo upload, my daily use machine right now is an iPad Pro - really nice for some things - I actually write better on it than on a computer, but limiting for others). I was about ready to pull the trigger on a top-end (1 TB/2.8 gHz/dGPU) last-generation MacBook Pro with the $400 or so off I was seeing - thinking "I'll give Apple until the end of the month to release something new, then I'll buy what I can find, whether or not it's the new one". Now all of AppleInsider's price guides show it out of stock everywhere - the only option showing stock is with no discount at the Apple Store. This is a machine that was $400 off a couple of days ago... Hopefully, this means the new ones are right around the corner?

I might have actually chosen the current machine anyway, due to Disappearing Port Syndrome - Not only are they probably taking my SD reader away, but it looks like any USB port where I might plug one in without an adapter may also be numbered among the missing (neither B+H nor Newegg stocks a direct-connect USB 3.1 SD card reader yet - B+H has a couple of larger, more expensive readers that primarily read CFast or XQD, but also support SD, and that ship with a USB-C cable). As a photographer, the biggest reason to own a laptop instead of using my iPad Pro for everything is dealing with images! Those images come in from SD cards in my camera!

Skylake is about 10% faster than Haswell - no big deal there...
Who knows what the new GPUs will bring - that may be substantial - early results on Polaris show that it is a real improvement. 
I wish I was hearing about 4K displays, 32 GB RAM options or 2 TB SSD options, but I'm not - those would be the kind of improvements that would make the new one worth the hassles of the "ahead of their time" USB-C only ports and any possible bugs in the touch bar.

I'm afraid that I waited too long - hopefully, we'll either see new MBPs or at least new stock on the old ones at reasonable prices...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The biggest reasons to wait for Skylake is the faster HPU and more advanced ports possible.     Oh and yes it would be a good idea to wait for the new machines, other features should result in significantly better all around performance.   I'm thinking the end of the month myself.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    danwellsdanwells Posts: 39member
    If "more advanced ports" means "everything needs a dongle", I'll pass...

My preferred (reasonable) port configuration (I know I'm not getting Ethernet back no matter how useful it is at large institutions) would be 2 USB-C, 2 USB 3.0, HDMI, Thunderbolt 2 (for older drives), MagSafe, headphone,  SD reader. This is one more port than the present model - it's missing one Thunderbolt and gains two USB-C. If Apple wants to give it no more ports (there's plenty of space for the extra one on a 15"), I'd happily lose one USB of either type.

At a minimum, I'd like 2 USB-C, one USB 3.0, HDMI, headphone, SD reader. This charges via USB-C and loses Thunderbolt 2, but maintains one each of the important ports except TB2 and maintains the card reader.

If we go to 4 USB-C and a bagful of dongles, the machine would need to compensate for that port configuration in some way other than size and weight.  If it's just Skylake, that's a downgrade to me, but if it's got 32 GB of RAM, a 2 TB drive and a 4K P3 display, that's worth dealing with the dongles.