Microsoft SharePoint for iOS arrives on Apple's App Store

Posted:
in iPhone
Microsoft has launched a free iOS client for its SharePoint enterprise collaboration suite, making it easier for businesses to consolidate inter-office communication and collaboration on the go.

The official Microsoft SharePoint app connects to Microsoft's SharePoint Online, and SharePoint Server 2013 and 2016, and hybrid environments. Originally launched in 2001, SharePoint requires an Office 365 subscription that includes SharePoint Online, or an on-premises SharePoint Server.

Microsoft's Office 365 implemented SharePoint as a service for ease of configuration for smaller teams. On-site deployments are common in larger businesses, with implementation requiring a significant investment in hardware and support.

The current version of the app isn't as full featured as the desktop client version, and instead implements the most popular features of Microsoft's suite of tools.

Within the app, a "Sites" tab takes the user to frequently visited sites and site assets, and allows the user to share the site with other users. The "Links" feature presents admin-curated sites and portals, with the "People" tab giving insight to other company users of the system. Currently, very little administrative management can be performed in the app.

Later this year, Microsoft plans on adding support for cross-company news and announcements.

The Microsoft SharePoint app requires 32.6MB of storage on an iOS device running iOS 8 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    More malware from Microsoft. I detested Sharepoint when I had to use it at work from my Mac. Glad I don't have to use it anymore, nor do I have to use any Microsoft product.
    lolliver
  • Reply 2 of 9
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    As an Exchange business user, who uses the full suite of Exchange products throughout our company...we cannot understand what SharePoint is for.

OneDrive serves our purposes, but more than that, "SharePoint" "Team Sites"...confusing as all hell.
    rob53lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 9
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    Spreading the pain to a new form factor. 
    macky the mackylolliver
  • Reply 4 of 9
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    TurboPGT said:
    As an Exchange business user, who uses the full suite of Exchange products throughout our company...we cannot understand what SharePoint is for.
    In my experience, it seems like they basically took the concept of a Wiki and made it needlessly complicated and bloated.
    edited June 2016 lolliverpscooter63
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    auxio said:
    TurboPGT said:
    In my experience, it seems like they basically took the concept of a Wiki and made it needlessly complicated and bloated.
    Yes, that's pretty much it. They decided to go after the Lotus Notes market after everyone left Lotus Notes and moved to the web. 
    lolliverpscooter63
  • Reply 6 of 9
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    auxio said:
    TurboPGT said:
    Wow, I even maintain a wiki as well, and still had no idea.
    lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 9
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    As near as I've ever been able to tell, the purpose of SharePoint is to sell Microsoft server licenses (and now, Office 365 as well.)
    lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 9
    auxio said:
    TurboPGT said:
    Your experience could very well have been limited to what SharePoint is and what it actually does.  Its a collaborative platform.  So to call it a Wiki concept is like calling an iPhone a fancy replacement for a rotary phone.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

Sorry guys, but the quality of the comments on that is far below zero. So far, nobody here has the faintest clue what SharePoint is, and what it is used for... It is neither a Wiki, nor a competitor to Notes. It is a collaboration platform with deep integration into Active Directory, MS Exchange Server, a publishing endpoint integrated into several other products (e.g. MS SQL Server Reporting Server and Business Intelligence), provides a pretty complete discovery and compliance solution, and absolutely serves a purpose for companies using these tools. You might say it is ugly (which I would agree with), or that YOU don't need it, but it is the best collaboration platform for MS environments out there (and most likely the best collaboration platform available), and it absolutely server its purpose well.

There are definitely points worth criticizing (from the early death of workflow functions after version one, to the abysmal documentation, to the pretty unclear future development path since MS tries to shove the hosted/cloud version down people's throats), but bringing these up would require at least basic knowledge of the product.
    singularity