This year's 'iPhone 7' will lack major design changes as Apple awaits improved technology - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2016
Though Apple has historically introduced a major redesign of its iPhone every two years, this year's upgrade will look largely the same, with the largest change being the elimination of the 3.5-millimeter headphone jack, a new report claims.

Tuesday's report from The Wall Street Journal largely echoes earlier claims, but does add one new tidbit: Apple has apparently been held back by limitations in currently available technology.

Citing anonymous sources, the report said that Apple was unable to introduce a major design change this year because "new technology in the pipeline will take time to implement."

That aligns with recent reports, suggesting Apple has a major redesign in the works for 2017, featuring a curved all-glass chassis that will be a major departure from the current form factor. It has also been claimed that Apple plans to somehow integrate the Touch ID fingerprint sensor, FaceTime camera and call speaker into the display itself for next year's model.

This year's iPhone, however, is widely expected to look largely the same as the current iPhone 6s series and its predecessor, the iPhone 6. Sources told the Journal that the elimination of the 3.5-millimeter headphone jack will allow the handset to be a millimeter thinner than the current model, and will also improve water resistance.

Apple's so-called "iPhone 7" is expected to be introduced this September, and leaked parts and details show a device with a nearly identical form factor to the iPhone 6s. Without a complete redesign, it's possible that Apple won't give the handset the "iPhone 7" moniker.

Keeping the same design for three years would be a major change for Apple, which has stuck to a "tick-tock" strategy with the iPhone for years, redesigning its handset every two years and then refining it with an "s" upgrade.

Rumors and leaks have so far indicated that only the larger "Plus" variant of this year's model will get a new dual-lens camera, along with some other unique upgrades like 3 gigabytes of RAM and a Smart Connector. The regular "iPhone 7" may see comparatively modest improvements, though its camera may finally be enhanced with optical image stabilization, previously a Plus-only feature.

By ditching the headphone jack, Apple will likely push users to rely on either Bluetooth headphones, or headsets that connect through the Lightning connector. It's expected that Apple will also separately offer some form of adapter for connecting legacy headphones with 3.5-millimeter connectors.
SylvainL

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    SylvainLSylvainL Posts: 28member
    I agree 100% with you and Apple should name it iPhone 6 se. 

This is exactly what I predict in one of my blog post earlier this week 

http://monblogapple.com/articles/aucun-iphone-7-avant-2017-le-prochain-iphone-sera-liphone-6-se/

xzudoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 86
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    I'd rather they got it right rather than force it out (like Samsung will do based off these rumors) just so they can say we had it first. I know investors won't be happy but what the hell are you gonna do? There's only so much you can do and I'd rather they get it right the first time than force a product out and have massive shipping delays which are never good. 

I'll call it today...I guarantee Samsung will release something like this before Apple does based off the rumors that keep explaining what Apple wants to do with the next gen iPhone. They're probably already scrambling to get this out the door now and will go to no end to get it out before Apple does, even if it means building a cheap POS that just looks pretty. 
    canukstormbaconstangdoozydozenpatchythepiratepropodlolliverargonautdjkfisher
  • Reply 3 of 86
    xzuxzu Posts: 139member
    SylvainL said:
    I agree 100% with you and Apple should name it iPhone 6 se. 

This is exactly what I predict in one of my blog post earlier this week 

http://monblogapple.com/articles/aucun-iphone-7-avant-2017-le-prochain-iphone-sera-liphone-6-se/

I like the M, L, XL naming convention... OR S, M, L just seems clean and straightforward since we have three phones... as well as iPads... the entire Pro and Air thing is just confusing... Give me a straight product grid with S, M, L ... products based on screen size. And fold my t-shirts like the Gap does.
    baconstang
  • Reply 4 of 86
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    “a new report claims.” Nuff said. It must be true, right?
    poksijfc1138lolliver
  • Reply 5 of 86
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    macxpress said:
    I'd rather they got it right rather than force it out (like Samsung will do based off these rumors) just so they can say we had it first. I know investors won't be happy but what the hell are you gonna do? There's only so much you can do and I'd rather they get it right the first time than force a product out and have massive shipping delays which are never good. 

I'll call it today...I guarantee Samsung will release something like this before Apple does based off the rumors that keep explaining what Apple wants to do with the next gen iPhone. They're probably already scrambling to get this out the door now and will go to no end to get it out before Apple does, even if it means building a cheap POS that just looks pretty. 

Wall street will never be happy, even if Apple pushed something new out before its time, Wall street will react badly when the product has problems in the market and Apple has to do some sort of recall. All other cell phone companies get a pass on making money and shipping crap, because the can say they shipped more crap and lost money.
    edited June 2016 baconstangmacxpresspatchythepiratelollivercornchip
  • Reply 6 of 86
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 269member
    If Apple doesn't think there's any next-generation technology to add yet, they can at least focus on improvements that have been lacking for years.  At least make the damn thing waterproof and add an IR blaster so I can get rid of my TV remotes.
    jcs2305cnocbuikermit4krazy1983
  • Reply 7 of 86
    That's probably why Apple suddenly remembered they make laptops too.  Without a big phone release and with the iPad hitting the saturation point, something is going to have to create growth.

It's slightly disappointing that there may not be big tech improvements to the iPhone for a while, but we're also at a point where current designs will only get incrementally better so I'm not surprised we're still a year or more away from anything revolutionary.
  • Reply 8 of 86
    lkrupp said:
    “a new report claims.” Nuff said. It must be true, right?
    Yes. I was going to write this off as another questionable rumor, but the word "report" lent it a gravitas and credibility that arrested my skepticism.
    chabigai46lollivercornchip
  • Reply 9 of 86
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    macxpress said:

I thought Scamsung already had OLED and edge-to-edge?  Maybe not, I don't pay them much attention.

As an Apple investor, this is a disappointment.  With the loss of carrier phone subsidies, it was going to be a challenge just to maintain the 2-year upgrade cycle status quo, to say nothing about trying to get users to upgrade annually.  Apple needed to deliver an impressive model at least every 2 years, or enough to substantially differentiate from one's 2-year old previous model.  Now with this news of a 3-year cycle, many people will hold off unless there are some extremely compelling features under the hood of the 2016 model that we don't yet know about.   Being thinner (will I have to yet again buy a new case?) and having no headphone jack don't incentivize me to go for the 2016 model, but rather the opposite: to wait for the 2017 major refresh.  We could therefore see iPhone sales continue to fall through 3Q of 2017 (or worse, see defections to Android).  Wall Street was hoping the sales slump would end in 3Q 2016, but I don't see that happening if this news holds to be true.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

doozydozenkermit4krazy
  • Reply 10 of 86
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Without a complete redesign, it's possible that Apple won't give the handset the "iPhone 7" moniker.
    "iPhone 6T" and "iPhone 6T Plus"?
    ai46jony0
  • Reply 11 of 86
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    I don't mind saving myself over $1,000 for each year that passes without a significant upgrade. My 6 still looks and works as good as it did when I bought it in 2014 - even the Apple leather case is still fully intact and functional which is more than I can say for the Apple bumpers I had before which last about a year before disintegrating.
  • Reply 12 of 86
    Let's face it...

The new iPhone will have minor hardware improvements like A10 and M10 processors. Maybe be 2-3 new minor features...

The biggest improvements will come from iOS 10 new features and not from the hardware.

kermit4krazy
  • Reply 13 of 86
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    xzu said: I like the M, L, XL naming convention... OR S, M, L just seems clean and straightforward since we have three phones... as well as iPads... the entire Pro and Air thing is just confusing... Give me a straight product grid with S, M, L ... products based on screen size. And fold my t-shirts like the Gap does.
    So what would the name convention be for the tock cycle? iPhone Ss, Ms, Ls? Apple is selling premier technology not tee shirts, lol.
  • Reply 14 of 86
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    Well, looks like my 5S'll carry on another year. Investors and pundits, go ahead and do your thing...

My 5S under iOS 9 is faring very well. The only thing that pisses it off for some reason is the Background Music API--running Sirius XM app or Google Play makes the back of my phone heat up so much that I can barely hold it. 
    edited June 2016 cornchipkermit4krazy
  • Reply 15 of 86
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    If Apple doesn't think there's any next-generation technology to add yet, they can at least focus on improvements that have been lacking for years.  At least make the damn thing waterproof and add an IR blaster so I can get rid of my TV remotes.

Really an IR blaster, come on, a phone does not make a good remote, why you can not use it without having to look at it, you know rote memory. I never look at my remote when I use it. I replace all my IR remotes with a single RF remote, works far better and can control a lot more devices.

I had a cell phone since the 90's and never once have I lost a phone to water damage. On the other hand bought my dad a ruggedize Motorola phone which was water proof like their emergency two way radios since he had a habit of dropping phones and driving over them. But he managed to kill the ruggedize phone when he dropped it in a bucket of paint. Who would have guess you could drop the phone in pool and it would be fine but drop it in a bucket of latex paint and the phone was ruined. 

People just need to take better care of their stuff, you spend all this money on a phone and you treat is like crap.

SylvainLdoozydozenTurboPGTjonlboopthesnootnolamacguyargonautxmhillx
  • Reply 16 of 86
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,717member
    In the end it might still work out in term of sales expectations, because for all owners of < iPhone 5 iOS10 is an additional incentive to upgrade to new hardware, as it is not supported on these legacy devices. In addition, Apple slowly but steadily expands ForceTouch which might convince current owners of < IPhone 6s. Owners of the 6s might largely wait for the 7. I myself am on the SE and the only things I miss are ForceTouch and the barometer. Is it enough to move the 7? That depends on the other improvements, but I already am mentally waiting for next year's model, as overall I really like the SE and the 2017 model seems to be a big jump.
  • Reply 17 of 86
    The only TV that an iPhone will ever support will be Apple TV and you don't need IR 
    doozydozenTurboPGTboopthesnootlolliverargonautxmhillx
  • Reply 18 of 86
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Seems like a good time to bump the entry level storage to 32GB, with 128GB the up-sell.  That in itself may get a number of people to upgrade.  Apple can change their messaging a bit to focus on how great a 128GB would be with 4K video, higher resolution photos...yada, yada, yada.  Likely to cause a slight dip in the ASP (unless the dual-camera 7+ drives more to that model), but that is the lesser of two evils in another year of lower shipments.

Apple mgmt aren't dummies - they know they need to make each new model as compelling as they can (live photos, 4K video, upgraded aluminum, 2GB RAM - in addition to the expected A9/M9 & 3D Touch - as examples back in the 6s series).

Hopefully the SOC package will feature some interesting features (those almost never get leaked as they are invisible to supply chain).  Something related to Siri performance perhaps, to go along with the Siri APIs, and the increased "Siri learning" features of iOS10?  Improvements in not only taking photos (a given), but in how photos can be quickly edited with additional h/w functions, before posting to those all important social media services?
    lolliver
  • Reply 19 of 86
    The 6 and 6s are fast enough for 95% of all tasks. It's hard to sell new iPhones only by upgrading speed.

I'm sure they didn't show us everything new in the iOS 10 at WWDC. There will be more to show when the next iPhone will be announced.
  • Reply 20 of 86
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member

This is why Apple doesn't always implement customer requests. Really??? A fuc&%! IR blaster? Really!!!! Is this a revolutionary feature that is necessary to the majority of users? You can buy an all in one remote that works for your TV, surround sound system, cable box, AppleTV, etc. They're kinda pricy (around $100) but they do work.
    TurboPGTlollivernolamacguyxmhillx