Apple leaves iOS 10 beta kernel unencrypted in potential bug discovery effort

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2016
In a bold move -- or an egregious error -- Apple has left the kernel of its recently released iOS 10 beta exposed, laying bare potentially exploitable security flaws ahead of a wide public release this fall.

Discovered by security researchers and reported by the MIT Technology Review, the decision to distribute an unencrypted kernel would be a vast departure from previous iOS releases, which kept the so-called "heart" of the OS closely guarded. Among the many benefits of obscuring access to the kernel is protection from reverse engineering, a key security breaches.

Like many modern computer operating systems, the kernel in iOS is vital to system management, having a hand in almost every facet of runtime operations, from startup to high-level app execution. Importantly, the iOS kernel grants third-party apps access to, and limits use of, hardware assets. By delivering an unencrypted version, Apple is opening its prized OS to the scrutiny of security researchers and hackers alike.

Whether Apple deliberately left the kernel exposed is unclear, though experts find it hard to believe the move was made in error. More plausible, some say, is that Apple intentionally shipped an unencrypted beta version as part of a daring debugging strategy. More eyes on iOS code could result in higher rates of bug and vulnerability discoveries, which might -- hopefully -- be reported to Apple and fixed.

The method is a risky one, however, as researcher Mathew Solnik discovered the release to include a security measure that protects Apple's kernel from modification. Access to such information could potentially pose a danger to millions of iOS devices if it fell into the wrong hands.

Noted iOS security expert Jonathan Zdziarski said a decision to open the kernel makes sense coming out of Apple's recent data privacy battle with the U.S. government. In that case, the FBI pressed for access to an iPhone 5c linked to last year's San Bernardino terror attack, a request that would force Apple to create a workaround to its own security safeguards. Apple resisted an issued court order to unlock the iPhone, subsequently staging a legal defensive that sparked intense debate over the boundaries between government reach and personal data privacy.

The action was rendered moot after the FBI was able to bypass the handset's lock protection using a zero-day exploit purchased from an undisclosed third party. According to Zdziarski, an open iOS kernel might be an attempt at deflating the iOS exploit market, an entity in large part driven by demand from law enforcement agencies.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Oops. Maybe we will be getting a new beta quicker than expected.
    sockrolidjackansi
  • Reply 2 of 21
    stevenozstevenoz Posts: 314member
    Uh-oh. Betcha Google is gonna be interested.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    stevenoz said:
    Uh-oh. Betcha Google is gonna be interested.
    Google would never steal! I know that because they have a motto about not being evil.   As for security, it boils down to code signing and maintaining the private key private.  You are not supposed to rely on keeping the technique itself secret.
    patchythepiratenetmagejackansi
  • Reply 4 of 21
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    The method is a risky one, however, as researcher Mathew Solnik discovered the release to include a security measure that protects Apple's kernel from modification. Access to such information could potentially pose a danger to millions of iOS devices if it fell into the wrong hands.

Couldn't they just change this method once the release is final and encrypted?
    So any knowledge of a specific flaw in this system would be rendered mute for attacks on the release build.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 21
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    This is why you don't put beta software on your production devices. 
    doozydozenmattinozjbishop1039sockrolidjbdragonjackansidysamoria
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Interesting development indeed. The AI article is not clear—what risk did Apple put itself in by opening the kernel? And how is this relevant to the US government and law enforcement agencies?

edit: from the source article, "Opening up iOS for anyone to examine could weaken the market of selling software exploits to law enforcement by making it harder for certain groups to hoard knowledge of vulnerabilities."

"Apple has even been accused of effectively encouraging that market because it has not been as friendly to security tip-offs from outside the company as rivals such as Google and Microsoft have. Unlike those companies, Apple does not offer “bug bounty” cash payments to people that disclose flaws they have found in its products, for example. Were Apple trying to become more welcoming to outside help, simply launching a bug bounty program may have been less risky than suddenly declaring open season on the iOS kernel, though. “This is a gamble,” says Zdziarski. “But I can see the possible reason that Apple may have decided to make this wager.”
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 7 of 21
    macxpress said:
    Which is exactly why I would never use Android or Windows. 
    lolliverpatchythepirateradarthekatVisualSeedtallest skilsockrolidjbdragonfotoformatpropodnolamacguy
  • Reply 8 of 21
    I agree with the experts. This had to be deliberate. 
    jbdragon
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I agree with the experts. This had to be deliberate. 
    I'm going to wait and see. 
    jackansidysamoria
  • Reply 10 of 21
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    macxpress said:
    That and also bricking.
    jackansi
  • Reply 11 of 21
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

tonester said:
    macxpress said:
    That and also spamware.
    netmagejackansibaconstang
  • Reply 12 of 21
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    This is no accident, it would be like forgetting you have a child. There are numerous teams working on this, if it were a mistake they would have noticed it hundreds of times. More likely this was planned, there is very little to lose by making it public (much in the way that Apple's open source projects don't compromise browser or kernel security.)
    jbdragonpatchythepiratenolamacguybaconstang
  • Reply 13 of 21
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    What am I missing here? XNU is already open source so I don't see it being a big deal that they kept their kernel open for a beta. And why doesn't this article mention XNU at all if they are talking about the kernel used by iOS (macOS, tvOS, and watchOS)?

doozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 21
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    Soli said:
    What am I missing here? XNU is already open source so I don't see it being a big deal that they kept their kernel open for a beta. And why doesn't this article mention XNU at all if they are talking about the kernel used by iOS (macOS, tvOS, and watchOS)?

this situation is about the system not being encrypted like before, it isn’t about source code.
    Furthermore Apple hasn’t ever released iOS XNU source code.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    How hard was it really to see the system unencrypted before? Doesn’t it have to run unencrypted?

• Reply 16 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    tonester said:
    macxpress said:
    I'm actually enjoying Windows 10 on my Mac Pro (I am even in the beta program).  At my age it's like rock climbing without a rope or sky diving without a parachute.  Scary as hell but a rush.  Cortana is polite and says she knows Siri but not very well.

It's on an isolated external SSD which I can throw out of the (real) window if need be.  :)

What's Android?
    jackansitallest skil
  • Reply 17 of 21
    It's a tremendous display of confidence in the soundness of their code.  It will either be supported by durability after deployment, or seen as a tragic case of overconfidence.  Ultimately I think it is an unwise decision because if it does turn out to be a durable, secure OS, it could be readily stolen by certain competitors abroad (and even domestically).
  • Reply 18 of 21
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    So let me understand this: the kernel execution code is now visible. Isn't this processor-specific machine code? If that's the case then discovering the intricacies of its workings is quite tedious and slow. Finding bugs or vulnerabilities will be quite difficult without the source code. 
  • Reply 19 of 21
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    This is a mistake of course, really laughable to make something else of it.
    jackansi
  • Reply 20 of 21
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    knowitall said:
    This is a mistake of course, really laughable to make something else of it.
    And your reply just proves that your user name is deeply ironic.