Apple Pay gains support from 44 new US banks and credit unions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2016
As part of continued efforts to build out its Apple Pay payments platform, Apple on Tuesday announced support for 44 new bank and credit unions serving U.S. customers.

Like last month's round of Apple Pay additions, today's buildout includes a number of medium size financial institutions, many of which are regional credit unions and small banks. The additions were announced through Apple's running list of Apple Pay providers.

• Acadia Federal Credit Union
  • Bank7
  • Catholic Vantage Financial Federal Credit Union
  • Citizens BankCity State Bank
  • Comenity Capital Bank
  • Commercial Bank
  • Commodore Perry Federal Credit Union
  • Conservation Employees' Credit Union
  • Crane Credit Union
  • Element Federal Credit Union
  • FNB New Mexico
  • Health Care Family Credit Union
  • Heritage Federal Credit Union
  • Honor Credit Union
  • IH Mississippi Valley Credit Union
  • Indiana State University Federal Credit Union
  • Integra First Federal Credit Union
  • Jersey Shore State Bank
  • Luzerne Bank
  • Mabrey Bank
  • Meadows Bank
  • Mendo Lake Credit Union
  • Meridia Community Credit Union
  • Metro Federal Credit Union
  • Pendleton Community Bank
  • People First Federal Credit Union
  • Peoples Bank (OH)
  • Phoenixville Federal Bank & Trust
  • Premier Bank (NE)
  • Premier Bank Rochester
  • Randolph Savings Bank
  • Red Crown Credit Union
  • Roanoke Valley Community Federal Credit Union
  • Schneider Community Credit Union
  • Stamford Federal Credit Union
  • The Citizens Bank of Logan
  • The County Federal Credit Union
  • The Farmers National Bank of Canfield
  • The Farmers State Bank
  • The People's Federal Credit Union
  • The PrivateBank
  • Truxton Trust
  • Wright-Patt Credit Union

Since its U.S. launch in 2014, Apple Pay has been introduced to iOS device users in Australia, Canada, China, Singapore and the UK.

Apple at WWDC 2016 announced a major initiative that will bring Apple Pay transactions to the web, a highly anticipated feature that puts the in-house payments service in competition with industry leader PayPal. The company also revealed plans for upcoming rollouts in France, Hong Kong and Switzerland.

Most recently, Bank of America began rolling out support for cardless ATM withdrawals at select locations in California.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Zero comments (excluding this one). 

Says all you need to know about 'ApplePay and bank support' stories. 
    SoliTurboPGT
  • Reply 2 of 6
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    How many different fucking banks are there in the US? Seems like there's 50 more added each week, and the list is infinite. What percentage of banks are now officially supported? Do we have a clue? 

As for me, up here in Canada I haven't had to pull out any credit cards for the past several days. My last 20 or so transactions have been Apple Pay, and it's awesome. Cashiers still look shocked/confused. 
  • Reply 3 of 6
    slurpy said:
    How many different fucking banks are there in the US? Seems like there's 50 more added each week, and the list is infinite. What percentage of banks are now officially supported? Do we have a clue? 

As for me, up here in Canada I haven't had to pull out any credit cards for the past several days. My last 20 or so transactions have been Apple Pay, and it's awesome. Cashiers still look shocked/confused. 

Literally thousands. You'll notice many in that list are credit unions. Since you're from Canada - there are some 600 credit unions in Canada, most in Ont and Que. Even in Vancouver there are lots of banks that are local (VanCity, Coast Capital, Westminster Savings, G&F, Sunshine Coast are just a few I came up with off the top of my head).

This really shows the support of Apple Pay. They signed up the big banks right away, but if the smaller banks don't sign up then that leaves a significant chunk of the population that can't use Apple Pay.

As to my use, since I started using Apple Pay a couple weeks ago I can't even remember the number of times I had to use my card instead. Once for a higher dollar purchase and maybe a couple times for those rare shops that still haven't updated. I'd say 95% of all the money I spend is now through Apple Pay.

• Reply 4 of 6
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    If only these articles were "Apple added 50 retailers", then Apple Pay might be more than a blip on the radar.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 5 of 6
    TurboPGT said:
    If only these articles were "Apple added 50 retailers", then Apple Pay might be more than a blip on the radar.
    AGREED
    on east coast of USA, seems there are more banks support than places I can use Apple Pay. Pity Apple can't incentivize some retailers with limited time deal. 
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 6 of 6
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    slurpy said:

There are a shit ton of banks/credit unions in the US. I'm not complaining about this because I haven't used the account in a couple of years but my other credit union still isn't in the list and neither is the credit union my dad uses. So I'm sure there are thousands of banks/credit unions that aren't supported yet. 

It is nice to see this list go out. Nobody is going to keep checking Apple's website to see if their bank is supported but if small little articles like these appear every once in a while its much easier to see the additions here versus looking on Apple's long list.