Adele's '25' hits Apple Music, Spotify, other streaming services

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2016
Grammy Award-winner Adele's latest album, "25," was made available for streaming through a variety of services at midnight on Friday, including Apple Music and Spotify, some seven months after initial release.

Streaming availability was announced on Thursday as subscribers in countries like Australia gained access to the hit album, reports Billboard. The rollout is being handled on a market-by-market basis, with Apple Music, Spotify, Tidal and Amazon Prime all confirming Friday availability for paying members.

Adele's "25" makes its streaming debut seven months after Sony released digital and physical copies of the hotly anticipated follow-up to "21" in November. With chart-topping tracks like "Hello" and "When We Were Young," the album moved a record-smashing 3.38 million copies in its first week of sales, including digital downloads.

A report last year said Adele's camp moved to keep "25" off Spotify at launch unless the streaming music giant restricted playback to paying subscribers, though Spotify refuted those claims. It was also suggested that Apple had approached the singer with an exclusivity deal, presumably in hopes of replicating the huge success seen with a Beyonce exclusive in 2013.

Exclusive content is becoming an increasingly important marketing tool as the music industry moves toward all-you-can-eat streaming distribution models. With a pure subscription model Apple Music locked down its first big-name act when Taylor Swift agreed to license "1989" when it debuted last year. Competitor Spotify, which operates a free-to-stream tier, has seen mixed results, notably missing out on "1989" due to an ongoing dispute over royalties.

Most recently, Apple Music in May snagged Chance the Rapper's album "Coloring Book," which subsequently became the first streaming exclusive to debut in the top ten of the Billboard 200 albums chart.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    And....nobody cares!  :p
    latifbpzeus423potatoleeksoupjony0
  • Reply 2 of 12
    pepe779pepe779 Posts: 84member
    Seriously, who the hell cares. Her new singles became so annoying in the meantime that having the whole album available for streaming is basically irrelevant at this point. Or maybe this indicates that it only took 7 months for people to stop buying that album, so she eventually gave up and realized streaming services may actually generate some additional income after all. Maybe it's just me but I never understood why they're making such a big music icon out of this woman, because she's no better or worse than thousands of other artists and why there's so much hype around her, that's just completely beyond me. Even Taylor Swift has made much more clever moves in regards to streaming and in fact her music is so much better than whatever Adele has ever produced. Sorry, I just had to vent out :)
    latifbp
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Even though I am not an Adele fan, I will say this.  Her manager is brilliant.  The amount of money he helps her (and himself) rake in is astounding.  All by knowing the right tactics of holding out, waiting for the right terms etc.  It is great business management.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    pepe779 said:
    Seriously, who the hell cares. Her new singles became so annoying in the meantime that having the whole album available for streaming is basically irrelevant at this point. Or maybe this indicates that it only took 7 months for people to stop buying that album, so she eventually gave up and realized streaming services may actually generate some additional income after all. Maybe it's just me but I never understood why they're making such a big music icon out of this woman, because she's no better or worse than thousands of other artists and why there's so much hype around her, that's just completely beyond me. Even Taylor Swift has made much more clever moves in regards to streaming and in fact her music is so much better than whatever Adele has ever produced. Sorry, I just had to vent out :)
    You have very poor musical taste and discernment, sorry, I just had to get that out.
    pscooter63spinnyd
  • Reply 5 of 12
    pepe779pepe779 Posts: 84member
    cnocbui said:
    pepe779 said:
    You have very poor musical taste and discernment, sorry, I just had to get that out.
    You can't compare musical tastes, all I can say really. Just because you like her music, doesn't mean your taste is better or "right". I listen to so much music across so many genres, you wouldn't even believe it. I have never said her music is not good, but it just got too old and too repetitive, it's being played everywhere and that's why I said it became annoying in the meantime.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    cnocbui said:
    pepe779 said:

No, actually I think he's spot on. I just had to get that out...
    potatoleeksoup
  • Reply 7 of 12
    pepe779 said:
    cnocbui said:
    You can't compare musical tastes, all I can say really. Just because you like her music, doesn't mean your taste is better or "right". I listen to so much music across so many genres, you wouldn't even believe it. I have never said her music is not good, but it just got too old and too repetitive, it's being played everywhere and that's why I said it became annoying in the meantime.
    Well, you actually can compare musical tastes, just as you can compare just about anything else you care to mention.  Adele's current album has set numerous world sales records in several different countries, far surpassing the Barbie Doll drone.  That means that a lot more people like Adele's music than the drones.  I am not an Adele fan and her music doesn't really suit my taste, but I deeply appreciate the quality of her song writing and delivery, both of which are epic.  The drones vacuous output is utterly forgettable.  It's Eurotrash, California style.

Class and talent shine.  When I first heard Hometown Glory, I thought it was quite arresting in it's brilliance.  Had I known at the time she was 16 when she wrote that I would have been stunned.  I can remember two other instances in my life of being so easily and correctly able to spot such pure talent:  One was hearing Waterloo, by ABBA from radio Luxembourg an a MW radio in Ireland on a visit just after they had won Eurovision, though I didn't know that at the time or even what Eurovision was.  The other was hearing U2s Sunday, Bloody Sunday, in Australia from the BBC via Short Wave radio.

I think the critical difference is musical creativity vs performance - the ability to write and create original material.  Adele has that, The Beatles had it, the Stones had it, Marvin Gaye, Prince, U2, Abba and many others have/had it - TS doesn't.
    edited June 2016 pscooter63
  • Reply 8 of 12
    This woman has talent, but damn is her music overplayed. And it's so depressing!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    Well... I hate to tell you "I told you so...", but I told you so.

I predicted this would happen.  It means her initial sales were not warranted.  Remember I'm in the music business.  And that album was DOA except for extreme fans.  It was ever worse than waiting 8 years for the big come back of Kraftwerk which landed like a lead ballon.  Uninspired and uneventful.

SHE was the one that said "No way am I ever letting these streaming companies stream my album", so at the time I predicted, if it bombs she'll blame her management team.  Then embrace streaming platform.  But first she'll sell as many as she can and in the world of "here before buying ALL her sales were older people in the UK who still bought CD's "sight unseen (well sight unheard I guess).  But the second it hit the very houses of the people who bought it the reaction was the same, "huh?  We waited all this time and this was the best she could come up with??"

And now here we are - "streaming".  Yep time to do "26" or whatever the hell the name of the next one will be....
  • Reply 10 of 12
    9 million physical album sales in 6 months is DOA?

In the music business but uses Beats, colour cordinated with your shoes - hmmmmm.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    jcdinkinsjcdinkins Posts: 114member
    Thanks but no thanks.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    razormaid said:
    Well... I hate to tell you "I told you so...", but I told you so.

I predicted this would happen.  It means her initial sales were not warranted.  Remember I'm in the music business.  And that album was DOA except for extreme fans.  It was ever worse than waiting 8 years for the big come back of Kraftwerk which landed like a lead ballon.  Uninspired and uneventful.

SHE was the one that said "No way am I ever letting these streaming companies stream my album", so at the time I predicted, if it bombs she'll blame her management team.  Then embrace streaming platform.  But first she'll sell as many as she can and in the world of "here before buying ALL her sales were older people in the UK who still bought CD's "sight unseen (well sight unheard I guess).  But the second it hit the very houses of the people who bought it the reaction was the same, "huh?  We waited all this time and this was the best she could come up with??"

And now here we are - "streaming".  Yep time to do "26" or whatever the hell the name of the next one will be....
    She sold 25 million copies worldwide months ago. This is the 6th album since 2001 to sell over 8 million copies in the US. I am not a fan, but it respect her writing and voice very much. A simple Google search gave me this info, yet a person in the business has no clue ?  I think you may be in the wrong " business".