Apple still working on next-gen external display with integrated graphics card - report

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Despite killing the Thunderbolt Display without a replacement this week, Apple is still working on a successor --?one that will reportedly have its own separate integrated graphics card, likely to push a high-resolution Retina display.

Citing unnamed sources, John Paczkowski of BuzzFeed tweeted on Friday saying Apple is in fact still working on a new external display that will serve as a successor to the Thunderbolt Display. The rumor comes less than a day after Apple unceremoniously discontinued the hardware, advising prospective buyers to consider "a number of great third-party options available for Mac users."

While some took the announcement as a sign that Apple was planning to exit the display business entirely, Friday's report suggests that Apple instead plans to come back stronger, with an integrated GPU that could allow lower-powered machines, like the 12-inch MacBook, to still operate properly with a large Retina display.

Incorporating a GPU capable of driving ultra high-resolutions would theoretically ensure compatibility with almost any modern Mac, and would allow Apple to put out a monitor equivalent to the 5K Retina display found on the company's high-end 27-inch iMac. The Thunderbolt connector found on modern Macs is technically capable of carrying enough bandwidth for an external GPU, which some Windows PC makers have taken advantage of to turn portable laptops into gaming powerhouses when docked.

Thunderbolt display

The fact that Thunderbolt can support external graphics cards has also led to some unofficial workarounds among Mac enthusiasts, using some of the infrastructure Apple has built to support external PCIe devices for professionals. But doing so requires some nontrivial hacking to enable Thunderbolt GPU drivers, and the result remains buggy.

One hold-up for launching new hardware could be the type of port the rumored hardware will use. Apple is expected to launch a redesigned MacBook Pro later this year with smaller USB-C ports replacing the full-size legacy USB ports found on current models. If those USB-C ports were capable of transferring data at Thunderbolt 3 speeds, a new external monitor from Apple could theoretically take advantage of those capabilities.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Can't say I didn't call this.
    edited June 2016 matrix077
  • Reply 2 of 61
    saltyzipsaltyzip Posts: 193member
    How many people will be interested in one of these?
    edited June 2016 xzu
  • Reply 3 of 61
    saltyzip said:
    Enough to warrant producing one. Did we really think Apple would leave all that potential monitor money on the table during checkout online and in brick and mortar stores on a permanent basis? I certainly did not.

I'd honestly consider selling my notebook and iMac 5K if this new MBP is thin and light enough and the new 5K Apple Display was a great enough combination product.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 4 of 61
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I hope in comes in two colors, one to match the MBP and the other to match the Mac Pro. I have an old Mac Pro with 30" Cinema. If they made a matching set, I might spring for a new Mac Pro. Right now I mostly use my iMac 5K and love it.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 5 of 61
    ireland said:
    You can't because you didn't.
    kermit4krazyjackansifastasleepmatrix077
  • Reply 6 of 61
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    ireland said:
    Of course. These monitors don't cost Apple much, and generate a lot of PR. The only reason Apple is discontinuing the current TB Display is because they want to clear out inventory, before they announce the new monitor. Otherwise, everyone would wait until the new monitor comes out, and the only one's would have to be dumped at a much bigger loss.
    jackansi
  • Reply 7 of 61
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    A USB-C plug from the monitor to the laptop that would provide power and USB connections via the monitor would be the perfect companion to the Macbook. But if it's price similar to the existing Apple display, it would be hard to see people spending $1300 on a laptop and then $1000 on a display.
    dysamoriapulseimages
  • Reply 8 of 61
    I really like this concept. With the technology that Apple has worked with to power graphics in iPad and iPhone, it feels to me they can develop a custom solution to drive this at a reasonable cost versus putting a true "graphic card" inside a monitor. It would also allow the monitor to be sleek and sexy like its laptops.
    nolamacguymknelson
  • Reply 9 of 61
    ireland said:
    I don't think that "citing unnamed sources" is confirmation of anything. 
    dysamoriajackansipulseimages
  • Reply 10 of 61

I really like this concept. With the technology that Apple has worked with to power graphics in iPad and iPhone, it feels to me they can develop a custom solution to drive this at a reasonable cost versus putting a true "graphic card" inside a monitor. It would also allow the monitor to be sleek and sexy like its laptops.
    First, a rumor with unnamed sources. Second, "at a reasonable cost"? I expect we'll see it shortly after we see an Apple branded car, so around 2030.
    jackansi
  • Reply 11 of 61
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,702member
    saltyzip said:
    I would for one. 

Many reasons ons both professional and personal. 

Plus us I can see it removing the barrier for the VR peeps yo. 

It it would sell like mad to the PC Crowd as well. 
    frankie
  • Reply 12 of 61
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Apple should do it right: Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1 Type-C (reversible) Generation 2 and SDXC with extra pins supporting maximum read/write speed (300 MB/s).
    dysamoria
  • Reply 13 of 61
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,248member
    schlack said:
    A USB-C plug from the monitor to the laptop that would provide power and USB connections via the monitor would be the perfect companion to the Macbook. But if it's price similar to the existing Apple display, it would be hard to see people spending $1300 on a laptop and then $1000 on a display.
    Check the other article on monitors. Some are in excess of $1000 and others quite close for generic monitors. 
    pulseimages
  • Reply 14 of 61
    mac_128 said:
    ireland said:
    Of course. These monitors don't cost Apple much, and generate a lot of PR. The only reason Apple is discontinuing the current TB Display is because they want to clear out inventory, before they announce the new monitor. Otherwise, everyone would wait until the new monitor comes out, and the only one's would have to be dumped at a much bigger loss.
    Exactly. Others were saying how it makes sense for Apple to exit the monitor business. I'm sure they'll put their hands up now.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    ireland said:
    You can't because you didn't.
    It's called a double negative. It means I did indeed predict this. It doesn't matter though. People have no memory anymore.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    And, like the Thunderbolt Display, I'm not the slightest bit interested in it.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    First, a rumor with unnamed sources. Second, "at a reasonable cost"? I expect we'll see it shortly after we see an Apple branded car, so around 2030.
    Duly noted. Kermit4krazy predicts new Apple monitor around 2030. My prediction is within 12 months.
    cornchipfoljsfastasleep
  • Reply 18 of 61
    ireland said:
    I don't think that "citing unnamed sources" is confirmation of anything. 
    John Paczkowski's unnamed sources have been solid for a few years now. This is a direct Apple leak. I'll leave it to Gruber to convince you, whenever he next posts.
    edited June 2016 foljsfastasleepcanukstorm
  • Reply 19 of 61

First I said "I really like this concept".  And then I applied my own thought to it.  Second not sure what the F*&K you are talking about.  Put some thought into your criticism before you post it.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 20 of 61
    VisualSeedVisualSeed Posts: 217member
    Another possible advantage of having a built in GPU is that they could be used with iOS devices. Could also have Airplay built into the display as well. 
    edited June 2016 techprod1gyjackansifastasleep