AppleInsider podcast talks iOS 10, Thunderbolt displays, HomeKit, more

Posted:
in General Discussion
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Neil and Victor discuss rumors, the lack of iOS 10 beta 2, iPhone at 9 years, the Thunderbolt Display with built-in GPU rumor and the best alternatives, the 'iPhone 7' case with no headphone port in it, and more.

AppleInsider editors Nei Hughes and Victor Marks wrap up the latest in betas and rumors:

• The lack of iOS 10 beta 2
  • iPhone at 9 years
  • The Thunderbolt Display with built-in GPU rumor
  • The best Apple display alternatives
  • 'iPhone 7' no-headphone port case
  • Suppliers counting on the next iPhone for their revenue
  • App Store complaint: Spotify
  • Navel-gazing: How we produce the podcast
  • HomeKit: What can it do right now?

The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:

The show is also available on Stitcher Radio.

Show note links:

Follow our hosts on Twitter: @thisisneil and @vmarks.

Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 188member
    Siri still works horribly with homekit in German You Americans have no idea how much better everyting on the iphone works in English/in the US
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 2 of 7
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    sirdir said:
    Siri still works horribly with homekit in German You Americans have no idea how much better everyting on the iphone works in English/in the US
    I'm not so sure that its a lot better in English.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    TurboPGT said:
    sirdir said:
    I'm not so sure that its a lot better in English.
    Oh yes it is. For the beta I actually had to switch siri to English because in German it doesn't work at all (not regarding to voice recognition, but to functionality. Just is broken completely, whereas in 9.x it's only semi broken in German, English works perfectly). But for sure one would like siri to learn... If I give her the same command every day, why would she understand something completely different one day? Sometimes she even understands things I'd neeeever say to a lady.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    I'm sorry but the argument that Apple doesn't deserve a cut in perpetuity from subscriptions sold through the App Store is insane. When asked what the counter argument was, you said "Apple has to maintain servers." That's the least of it. Apple owns the entire platform. You don't want to give them a cut? Then they don't have to hand you the most successful platform in the world to sell software subscriptions.

What a thankless, inexplicable perspective.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    TurboPGT said:
    I'm sorry but the argument that Apple doesn't deserve a cut in perpetuity from subscriptions sold through the App Store is insane. When asked what the counter argument was, you said "Apple has to maintain servers." That's the least of it. Apple owns the entire platform. You don't want to give them a cut? Then they don't have to hand you the most successful platform in the world to sell software subscriptions.

Well, I disagree. They own the whole platform because they offer no Alternative! If they would act the same on the Mac every subscription sold in the whole Internet would be 30% Apple's.
    Why should spotify pay Apple forever for customers that only use spotifies infrastructure? If Apple would stream their music, it might be a valid point.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    TurboPGT said:

A bit harsh...but, a good point. I thought the same thing. :)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Excellent podcast...I enjoyed the trip down "memory lane" and how game changing the original iPhone was. And just how terrible cell phones were before the iPhone.

I bought myself and my daughter one when they first came out. She was 19 and said very excitedly, "Dad, my whole life is in this phone! I love it!" It still makes me smile when I think of it. It was nice to do something right, for a change. :) Thanks, Stevo and Apple.

I was doing real estate at the time and the ability to see the Visual Voicemail and see emails was tremendous. Not to mention, the Contact syncing w/ my iMac/MacBook. I basically stopped carrying my laptop and eventually sold to get an iPad. With the iPhone I was able to send quick email response on the iPhone and then do the heavy lifting when I go home on my iMac.

Again, great podcast. Thanks guys.
    nhughes