Apple releases animated emoji sticker packs for iOS 10 Messages

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2016
As promised, Apple on Friday released the first official animated sticker packs for use with iOS 10 Messages, making the GIF-like graphics available to developers through iTunes.

Available to users currently running Apple's latest iOS 10 beta, the sticker packs made available through iTunes Preview include Smileys, Hearts, Hands and Classic Mac. Japanese website Mac Otakara spotted the release earlier today.

In their current form, stickers in Smileys, Hearts and Hands packs are carryovers from watchOS animated emojis, while Classic Mac features a batch of original Macintosh icons created by graphic designer Susan Kare.

Once installed, stickers can be accessed in the Messages app drawer and incorporated into a conversation with a tap. Alternatively, users can "peel" and place stickers around chat bubbles, on images or even double up on other stickers.

Announced onstage at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference, animated stickers are a subclass of iMessage App, or bite-sized apps created using the new Messages API. Apple is opening its Messages platform up to developers for the first time with iOS 10, allowing third-party add-ons and deep integration that goes far beyond stickers. In a demonstration at WWDC, for example, iMessage Apps were shown ordering food and completing Square payments.

Apple's sticker packs are expected to join original creations from outside developers when the iMessage App Store launches this fall.

To see animated stickers in action, check out AppleInsider's video preview of Messages in iOS 10. For more on Apple's next-generation mobile operating system, make sure to follow our Inside iOS 10 article series.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    In before...

"This is why they haven't updated the Macbook Pro?!?!?!"
    supadav03lkruppnolamacguyRayz2016
  • Reply 2 of 14
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    Sweet. Always appreciate new ways to better communicate exactly what I feel through text. And if you don't like it, then just don't use it.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 3 of 14
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    In before...

Yes, because the software team makes the hardware too! Some people just don't think before they post...

I'm sure you'll be disappointed in it anyways. 
    edited July 2016 jbishop1039kevin kee
  • Reply 4 of 14
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    macxpress said:
    In before...

Yes, because the software team makes the hardware too! Some people just don't think before they post...

I'm sure you'll be disappointed in it anyways. 
    "in before" means he's posting this as a criticism of those people before they get a chance to post their nonsense. you're preaching to the choir. 
    macxpressfoadjbishop1039mejsricbrometheus
  • Reply 5 of 14
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    How do you install them? Can't find the mini-App Store!
  • Reply 6 of 14
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    People will hardly use the written word anymore. Many people today on the internet can barely even spell.

In the past, the Egyptians used many hieroglyphic symbols to communicate, and future generations of humans, who are becoming dumber and dumber by the minute, will also communicate using thousands of smilies and various symbols, because that will of course be much easier than using the 26 letters in the alphabet.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    macxpress said:
    In before...

Yes, because the software team makes the hardware too! Some people just don't think before they post... I'm sure you'll be disappointed in it anyways. 
    nolamacguy caught it.

You're right... it's not the same team.  But Apple spends money on the various divisions inside Apple.  

And it seems like the "stickers" team has been getting a lot of resources lately instead of the hardware team.

Seriously... are you not pissed off that many of Apple's computers haven't had any major updates in a while?  Who would buy a Mid-2015 Haswell Macbook Pro today? 

It used to be that Apple was always stuck waiting on Intel to deliver new chips.  Well... Intel has released Broadwell and Skylake... and other manufacturers have been making machines with those architectures for the last 8 months.

Meanwhile... the Mac Pro hasn't been upgraded in years!

I'm sorry for the snark earlier.  But while software is important... hardware is too.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 8 of 14
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    ok but they're separate teams. in no world does the dev of simple stickers impact the hardware. as for resources given to hardware teams -- we simply don't know that they aren't. I'd doubt that. apples MO is to work on things and not talk about it until it's time. 
  • Reply 9 of 14
    ok but they're separate teams. in no world does the dev of simple stickers impact the hardware. as for resources given to hardware teams -- we simply don't know that they aren't. I'd doubt that. apples MO is to work on things and not talk about it until it's time. 
    I know they are separate teams.  I addressed that in post #7

Just trying to be funny with my "In before" post.  And I even credited you for catching it. ;)
  • Reply 10 of 14
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    macxpress said:

Yes, because the software team makes the hardware too! Some people just don't think before they post... I'm sure you'll be disappointed in it anyways. 
    nolamacguy caught it.

You're right... it's not the same team.  But Apple spends money on the various divisions inside Apple.  

And it seems like the "stickers" team has been getting a lot of resources lately instead of the hardware team.

Seriously... are you not pissed off that many of Apple's computers haven't had any major updates in a while?  Who would buy a Mid-2015 Haswell Macbook Pro today? 

It used to be that Apple was always stuck waiting on Intel to deliver new chips.  Well... Intel has released Broadwell and Skylake... and other manufacturers have been making machines with those architectures for the last 8 months.

Meanwhile... the Mac Pro hasn't been upgraded in years!

I'm sorry for the snark earlier.  But while software is important... hardware is too.

I just bought a last gen 2012 MacPro and couldn't be happier. I'd rather have this than anything. Yes, Apple should update its products and I think they will later this year. I seriously doubt any software is limiting hardware. If anything, they're taking Mac hardware teams and using them for iOS hardware (I've heard them doing the same thing with OS X team helping out with iOS). And, I don't think money has been the limiting factor. What I do think is that there really hasn't been much to upgrade to as far as CPU's and graphics go until just recently. It wouldn't make much sense to release a totally new MacBook Pro with old specs, or slightly updated specs. The MacPro really hasn't had a decent CPU to update to until just now. I'd be continue to be patient and see what happens by fall. If you don't see things updated by fall then its time to get upset. 
  • Reply 11 of 14
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 544member
    I wonder if these animated emojis will be included in the next Sierra beta.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    techlovertechlover Posts: 879member
    apple ][ said:
    People will hardly use the written word anymore. Many people today on the internet can barely even spell.

In the past, the Egyptians used many hieroglyphic symbols to communicate, and future generations of humans, who are becoming dumber and dumber by the minute, will also communicate using thousands of smilies and various symbols, because that will of course be much easier than using the 26 letters in the alphabet.
    That's not completely how it worked in ancient Egypt though. Some hieroglyphs were indeed logograms. Often hieroglyphs represented a letter, much like how a letter in the English alphabet does.

Take a look at how their system worked, it's fairly complex and is not too far afield of how we communicate today:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_hieroglyphs#Writing_system

Not trying to be a dick. Writing on the internet with the best intentions can easily come across wrong. I just thought that you might find it interesting. 
  • Reply 13 of 14
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Digging the classic Mac set. I wonder if there’s a Steve smirk.

• Reply 14 of 14
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    Digging the classic Mac set. I wonder if there’s a Steve smirk.

I hope you can at least create and add custom stickers like this one!