This week on AI: No 3.5mm jack on 'iPhone 7,' Tidal takeover talks, Apple vs. Spotify & more

Posted:
in General Discussion
"iPhone 7" rumors resurfaced with a vengeance this week -- but there were also interesting developments in the music streaming world, particularly with claims that Apple is interested in buying one its rivals, Tidal.

To keep up on the latest in the Apple world, download the official AppleInsider app, and subscribe to our email newsletter.

Everything you need to know:

• A new parts leak backs the idea of twin speakers and no 3.5mm jack on the iPhone 7 > >
  • Apple may be considering a Tidal buyout for better exclusives > >
  • The iPhone 7 might have a "Force" Touch ID button > >
  • A new dev kit for Lightning headphones further supports the idea of Apple removing the iPhone 7's 3.5mm jack > >
  • Spotify sharply criticized Apple's decision to reject an app update > >
  • Apple responded in equally strong terms > >
  • U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren accused Apple of trying to "lock out" competition > >

For in-depth discussion of this week's hottest stories, listen to the AppleInsider podcast. Subscribe here, or stream the embed below:

A roundup of all of our hottest stories this week:

Alleged 'iPhone 7' chassis shows symmetrical speakers, lacks 3.5mm headphone jack

Apple reportedly mulling Tidal acquisition for access to exclusive content

Apple's 'iPhone 7' again rumored to feature 'Force Touch ID' home button

Cirrus Logic unveils Apple-authorized Lightning headphone development kit

Spotify says Apple rejected update over App Store policies, 'causing grave harm' to service

Rumor: Apple's space gray 'iPhone 7' will be a 'much darker color'

Apple to reveal fiscal Q3 2016 earnings on July 26

Apple under investigation by South Korean anti-competition body

Apple counsel attacks Spotify complaints as 'rumors and half-truths'

New photos show possible Lightning-equipped EarPods for Apple's 'iPhone 7'

Apple uses platform dominance to 'lock out' competition, says Elizabeth Warren

Nancy Pelosi expresses disappointment over Tim Cook's GOP fundraiser

MetroPCS to sell Apple's iPhone for first time on Friday, but only in Florida

NYC Apple reseller and community staple Tekserve to close Manhattan store

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    better come with a top notch pair of beats head phones for free!
    dasanman69
  • Reply 2 of 10
    gerritgerrit Posts: 29member
    Amidst the rumors I have realized the only electronic thing I own that I like and use more than my iPhone are my Bose noise cancelling headphones. And I routinely swap them to use on my MBP and PS4, so the wire's staying.. I guess my phone is gonna have to change =(
    dasanman69
  • Reply 3 of 10
    remereme Posts: 74member

A great big F.U. to Apple!  The headphone jack is a ubiquitous connection across electronic devices, this is no small thing.  We have a houseful of expensive Bose noise canceling phones/buds that we use when travelling, allowing us to charge and listen, arriving at our destination with fully charged phones.

The headphone jack is also a multi-function interface that other products rely on, we use credit card readers, wind meters, podcasting external mics with this jack, let alone all the audio connections to various speakers/cars where a simple plain audio solution is preferred to Bluetooth or some dumb Apple adapter cable.

I also use Bluetooth headsets every day but they aren't and never will be my sole preference.

I was OK with Apple creating the lightning connector, its more robust than the crazy 30pin, however, they really should have embraced USB-C like they embraced emerging standards in the past.  But no, they created a proprietary connection, charge the world royalties, gave us nothing special in return and frankly began to alienate me as a consumer.

Dropping the audio jack will be the last straw, I will force my family away from Apple for this next generation and probably future generations.  I'm surprised no pundit is willing to call Apple out on this proposed step.

Apple is a big dog, but this dog is beginning to smell.

jonlbaconstangdasanman69
  • Reply 4 of 10
    If it helps there are quite a few devices like that will take a bluetooth signal and let you plug your headphones in and receive your audio. I used this until I started using Bose over-the-ears headphones.

I bought something like this one-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hifi-Bluetooth-4-1-Wireless-Music-Receiver-w-Battery-Touch-For-Phone-Tablet-PC-/311426844999?hash=item48827c8947:g:spQAAOSwyjBW3JC4

The touch controls on this one work even through your pocket, which means I stuck it in my BACK pocket to avoid accidental skips. 

Assuming this rumor is true and Apple doesn't supply something to appease y'all this is a handy option.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    I've been reading about articles of lightning to 3.5 mm jack adapters.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 6 of 10
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macseeker said:
    I've been reading about articles of lightning to 3.5 mm jack adapters.
    When—not If—Apple removes the 3.5mm headphone jack, and if they don't include a universal standard that all vendors can use in all use cases (Think MFi Program and the Lightning connector/port) we'll surely see more* of these complex** adapters on the market.

While I'm glad the 3.5mm jack is starting to be obsoleted, ideally I'd like to see Apple utilize a universal and/or open wired standard that will allow headphone makers to cater to the entire market; but that seems extremely unlikely, for a variety of reasons.

* These already exist.
    ** Standard headphones are missing components needed for converting digital to analog and amplification.
    edited July 2016 dasanman69
  • Reply 7 of 10
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    reme said:

A great big F.U. to Apple!  The headphone jack is a ubiquitous connection across electronic devices, this is no small thing.  We have a houseful of expensive Bose noise canceling phones/buds that we use when travelling, allowing us to charge and listen, arriving at our destination with fully charged phones.

The headphone jack is also a multi-function interface that other products rely on, we use credit card readers, wind meters, podcasting external mics with this jack, let alone all the audio connections to various speakers/cars where a simple plain audio solution is preferred to Bluetooth or some dumb Apple adapter cable.

I also use Bluetooth headsets every day but they aren't and never will be my sole preference.

I was OK with Apple creating the lightning connector, its more robust than the crazy 30pin, however, they really should have embraced USB-C like they embraced emerging standards in the past.  But no, they created a proprietary connection, charge the world royalties, gave us nothing special in return and frankly began to alienate me as a consumer.

Dropping the audio jack will be the last straw, I will force my family away from Apple for this next generation and probably future generations.  I'm surprised no pundit is willing to call Apple out on this proposed step.

Apple is a big dog, but this dog is beginning to smell.

1) it's a rumor. 2) you don't even know what the advantages could be. 3) plenty of pundits have complained about it despite not knowing. 4) cool story bro. 
  • Reply 8 of 10
    kamiltonkamilton Posts: 282member
    The future is wireless and it'll be okay.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    The news of Apple exiting the 3.5mm headphone / audio device market is pretty negative.  If they think I am going to buy only Apple certified headphones, they can forget about that idea right away.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    bwik said:
    The news of Apple exiting the 3.5mm headphone / audio device market is pretty negative.  If they think I am going to buy only Apple certified headphones, they can forget about that idea right away.
    Nope. Your headphones will be agnostic. The cable will need to be licensed, just like most of the cables you currently use with your iPhone.