Apple's iPhone dips to fifth place in Chinese smartphone market

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple continued losing ground in the Chinese smartphone market in May, seeing its share drop to fifth place amid tough local competition, according to research data published on Wednesday.

The iPhone's marketshare fell to 10.8 percent from 12 percent a year prior, Counterpoint Research told Bloomberg. The top four smartphone makers -- controlling 53 percent of the market -- were all local companies, namely Huawei, Vivo, Oppo, and Xiaomi.

Huawei in fact improved its lead to 17.3 percent, while Oppo grew rapidly, almost doubling its share year-over-year to 11 percent.

Although Apple has identified China as an important market, one potentially poised to eclipse the United States, the company saw overall sales in the "Greater China" region -- including Hong Kong and Taiwan -- drop 26 percent year-over-year in the March quarter.

June-quarter results are set to be announced on July 26, and are likely to contain more bad news about China. The company is guiding to between $41 billion and $43 billion in global revenues, a substantial fall from the $49.6 billion achieved in Q3 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    If Apple's percentage dropped that little, then it just means the entire market for these phones in China is expanding rapidly.
    Deelronlatifbpjbdragoncornchip
  • Reply 2 of 20
    VisualSeedVisualSeed Posts: 217member
    Why do I get the feeling they are comparing the market share of phone brands and not actual market share of similar products? Many smartphones have become so cheap now they can literally be made for less than a feature phone used to be. While cheaper phones can and do compete with premium phones for customers, these reports would be more valuable if they showed exactly what product classes were growing and contracting. I'm actually more interested in the actual number off phones each vendor sells rather than their percentage of some hypothetical market. If a company sells 50M phones this year and has 12% and 60M next year and has only 10% then I don't really see the problem. 
    edited July 2016 baconstanglatifbpbrucemccornchip
  • Reply 3 of 20
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I guess maybe this is why Apple put some much emphasis on emojis and special effects in the new iMessage? I hear the Chinese love using these. 

I know China is a large market but in the end, is it really worth it? Apple catches so much crap from China with these stupid laws and lawsuits and the government makes them do all kinds of things other countries don't, etc. Is it really worth the trouble in the end? I'm sure it is millions of phones, but I wonder how much compared to other countries. 
    cnocbuijbdragonbaconstanglatifbppte apple
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Apple is profitable. Are those Chinese cell phone manufacturers are profitable as well or they bleeding borrowed money to gain market share? Just curious...
    patchythepiratejbdragoncalibaconstangDeelronlatifbppte apple
  • Reply 5 of 20
    getvoxoagetvoxoa Posts: 84member
    macxpress said:
    I guess maybe this is why Apple put some much emphasis on emojis and special effects in the new iMessage? I hear the Chinese love using these. 

I know China is a large market but in the end, is it really worth it? Apple catches so much crap from China with these stupid laws and lawsuits and the government makes them do all kinds of things other countries don't, etc. Is it really worth the trouble in the end? I'm sure it is millions of phones, but I wonder how much compared to other countries. 
    It's part of doing business. You don't run away from them, solve them as you go.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    Apple is profitable. Are those Chinese cell phone manufacturers are profitable as well or they bleeding borrowed money to gain market share? Just curious...
    Most of them are state sponsored, it doesn't matter.
    jbdragoncalibaconstangDeelron
  • Reply 7 of 20
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    The question is whether they can continue to grow in their race to the bottom.  My sense is that they will shake out in 2017 when the new all glass iPhone 8 debuts.  The Chinese consumer is very brand conscious...i suspect they will come back to Apple in the end, at least the more weathy consumers.

I doubt these companies will make much off Chinese consumers in terms of selling services.
    latifbp
  • Reply 8 of 20
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    getvoxoa said:
    macxpress said:

It's part of doing business. You don't run away from them, solve them as you go.
     But what I'm asking is...in the end, is it really worth the trouble of what seems like every week you have a new problem to solve. Are they spending more time trying to solve issues and government tasks than its worth. 
    latifbp
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Shipments, shipments, shipments... I think it's sales that are most important. No point in shipping a million smartphones and only selling half of them. It's most important for companies to be profitable when running a successful business. Only Wall Street has this weird idea how high quantity is the only means to success. This 'falling to fifth place' article is all over the internet. What difference does it make when Apple hasn't had a new high-end iPhone for nearly a year while most of those other companies are always putting out new smartphones. I don't see what point these articles prove for anyone. What good are they? - - - - - Tesla is still bleeding cash like crazy and missing production numbers but it doesn't seem to be hurting the stock all that much. It's just fortunate that Tesla has a CEO in Musk who can stand on stage and say, "Don't worry, be happy" or "Everything's gonna be alright" and big investors continue to pour money into the company. Apple just happens to be stuck with a CEO who doesn't seem to convince anyone of anything being alright with Apple. That's just shareholder's bad luck.
    cali
  • Reply 10 of 20
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Who cares when being profitable doesn't seem to matter. 
  • Reply 11 of 20
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Drop of 1% and headlines of doom and gloom : "getting killied in china", "sales plummeting in china"....etc.. Now tell me if thats objective reporting ? or FUD ... !
    calimagman1979baconstang
  • Reply 12 of 20
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    macxpress said:

China recently passed the US as the largest iPhone market in the world...

http://qz.com/687017/its-official-china-is-the-largest-iphone-market-in-the-world/

10% of the China cell phone market is a VERY large number.

I think that answers your question.
    Deelron
  • Reply 13 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Competition in China is an oxymoron. The game is rigged from start to finish. The Chinese powers that be are only going to let Western companies like Apple get so far. Sure they like the idea of Apple manufacturing in China but not Apple products dominating sales in China.

And to those who might comment in this thread demanding Apple go plastic and cheap... blow it out your backdoor sphincter. 
    edited July 2016 latifbp
  • Reply 14 of 20
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    macxpress said:
    getvoxoa said:
     But what I'm asking is...in the end, is it really worth the trouble of what seems like every week you have a new problem to solve. Are they spending more time trying to solve issues and government tasks than its worth. 
    When a market is worth billions it is worth it and which company doesn't want the profits and problems Apple is facing in China.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    lkrupp said:
    Competition in China is an oxymoron. The game is rigged from start to finish. The Chinese powers that be are only going to let Western companies like Apple get so far. Sure they like the idea of Apple manufacturing in China but not Apple products dominating sales in China.

And to those who might comment in this thread demanding Apple go plastic and cheap... blow it out your backdoor sphincter. 
    Cell phone market in China I would say is quite fair. It's also extremely cut throat. No company can have more than 20% market share (or even 15%). Also no company can stay in the top 5 for more than two or three years. Apple actually stayed in the top 5 for very long in China which shows its competitiveness.

Apple has a huge crowd of customers in China that only buy Apple products. Most high-end Chinese consumers have very high brand loyalty and Apple users have some of the highest brand loyalty. Other very successful companies in China who have captured this loyalty includes Starbucks, BMW etc. They all only make premium products at a high price often even more expensive than the West.

The customers who buy Apple are completely different from the customer who buy Android anyway. Most of the people in China I know of are either always-iPhone users or always-Android users. They rarely migrate. The dip in percentage only means the low-end market is expanding but does not necessarily mean Apple's actual user base is shrinking. And that's why I don't think iPhone SE would be very popular in China. At least none of my Chinese friends are buying iPhone SE. The most popular model of iPhone in China is new iPhone 6s Plus. Yes, there might be a slight drop in sales but that's just because Apple does not have an attractive product to make people replace their old iPhones.

As for the lawsuits. These are way overblown by the media. Lawsuits against and between big companies are very common in the US as well. This is why all the big companies have huge legal teams. I worked for one of the top American game publishers for four years in Canada and there has been constant litigation from companies you have never heard of. I can assure you Apple gets sued way more often in America than in China. Companies just deal with it. Not every lawsuit have political agendas. Most of the time it's just a small company want to get a big settlement. Still remember the epic lawsuits between Apple and Samsung a few years ago?
    kevin keelatifbp
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Who cares when being profitable doesn't seem to matter. 
    This trend was started by companies like Google and Facebook - the actual product does not make money but it is subsidized by ads and added services. Remember how many paid email operators got killed by and free and powerful Gmail?

Some of the Chinese cellphone makers are just practicing the same ideas in this market - use initial investment to push for razor thin margin and get market share, then get profitable by selling services or premium devices after the brand is well-known.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Shipments, shipments, shipments... I think it's sales that are most important. No point in shipping a million smartphones and only selling half of them. 
    Why do fanbois always go on about shipments vs sales? Do you really think that distis/retailers are buying millions of Xiaomi phones and sending them to landfill at the end of the month? They might sit in stock over the month close but then the next month's shipments will be lower and it'll even out over time. These are phones we're talking about, not strawberries, they don't expire after a few days. The channel needs to make money, they don't purchase more stock than they need. Very rarely it might happen on a new products but not in mature markets like phones
  • Reply 18 of 20
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    lkrupp said:

Right on, the crooked dictatorship China Gov keeps close control of activities in China.   Most China companies are an arm of the China Gov.
    Apple's manufacturing in China gives Apple a chance of keeping a good share of the China market.
    I've been told by local people from China;  those in China with money much prefer the iPhone to their cheapie phones that the Gov monitors.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Why do I get the feeling they are comparing the market share of phone brands and not actual market share of similar products? Many smartphones have become so cheap now they can literally be made for less than a feature phone used to be. While cheaper phones can and do compete with premium phones for customers, these reports would be more valuable if they showed exactly what product classes were growing and contracting. I'm actually more interested in the actual number off phones each vendor sells rather than their percentage of some hypothetical market. If a company sells 50M phones this year and has 12% and 60M next year and has only 10% then I don't really see the problem. 
    But because this comparison makes Apple look bad, it will get lots of press.