Subnotebook? Should Apple try?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Ever been to <a href="http://www.dynamism.com?"; target="_blank">www.dynamism.com?</a> The company specializes in taking the best Japanese ultra-lights and super-thins, and selling them in the US. Of course, since the price includes Dynamism's mark-up, plus the installation of English OS's and keyboards, the prices are all out of whack.

But, wow! Some of those machines are freaking awesome! For example:

<a href="http://www.dynamism.com/libretto/index.shtml"; target="_blank">The Toshiba Libretto</a>

<a href="http://www.dynamism.com/u1/index.shtml"; target="_blank">The Sony U1</a>

<a href="http://www.dynamism.com/r1/index.shtml"; target="_blank">The Panasonic R1</a>

<a href="http://www.dynamism.com/mv1/index.shtml"; target="_blank">The Sharp MV1</a>

Are all stylish, practical, powerful machines that run the latest OS'es and get good battery life. Think about the inherent advantage of low-power that Apple could leverage with the G3.

And think about Steve not wanting a PDA, but a 'full computer' experience.

Combining that 'Word of Steve' with the ones about:

- 'seeing a long G3 presence in Apple's future' and the ever standard

- 'lots of new, exciting products'

and I think it is at least theoretically possible that Apple is going to move into the subnotebook biz.

Would a subnotebook make sense? Or is the non-Japanese world just not ready?

Finally, as for the article that led me here, follow this <a href="http://slate.msn.com/?id=2067557&device="; target="_blank">link</a>.

ting5

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: Yet Another Registration ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Personally, I think with the introduction of inkwell Apple is heading towards a more MP2100 like device.

You know, big, rectangular tablet w/a flipcover built in, onscreen keyboard, Ink, and external keyboard ports, probably airport and maybe an iPod-type HD... like a satellite for your desktop. Remember, the messagepad had an external keyboard for your typing pleasure, and almost every picture in apple literature shows it being held horizontally... perhaps it was a vision of things to come?

Think about it... It fits in the purse or briefcase... you pull it out, do a little work on your word documents with the pen, maybe pop the keyboard onto it and type a bit, then put it away, set it next to your airport-equipped G4 and hit "Sync". Perfect for the mobile warrior... not a PDA, not quite a laptop. (Drools)

Now, back to playing with my Visor Prism, Messagepad 120, and PalmVNC...
  • Reply 2 of 25
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Actually a about 8-9 inch ibook with no optical drive would be a great subnotebook, and they could call it eBook too
  • Reply 3 of 25
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I'd much rather see a subnote than a pen tablet.

Ideally it would run for days, not hours.

While this cannot yet be achieved, we can come pretty close by doing the following:

Relfective TFT (user controllable lighting) NEC uses this in a subnote that gets very long battery life.

1.8" HDD 20GB or more. If fragile, then a standard 2.5, but 4200rpm, thinnner (9.5mm) with few platters.

Sahara with all it's SOI, lowK, copper .13u goodness, tied to some very agressive speed throttling logic control (for which it seems the Sahara has some extensive provisions)

No optical

Big moulded lithium polymer battery that spans the whole bottom of the machine.

newer, simplified MoBo

Form-factor. Like a C1 picturebook but smaller. Combines pen functionality (touch screen) with a simplified keyboard. Think Psion -- who managed to fit remarkably comfortable keys (for their size) into pocketable machines. Keep only full-size alpha-numeric keys and arrow keys with a little eraser nubin; cut the F-key heights in half and scrunch them next to the top of the keyboard; reduce the size of tab, shift, return, space, etc... All other functions are mapped onto an inkwell based gesture recognition. You type and point to the screen to navigate, or make control gestures using a stylus on screen, or perhaps a bluetooth stylus on any available surface that automatically navigates your cursor (like a mouse) of provides gesture/graphics-pad-type imput only without the pad.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    [quote]Originally posted by Tarimko Bintasir:

You know, big, rectangular tablet w/a flipcover built in, onscreen keyboard, Ink, and external keyboard ports, probably airport and maybe an iPod-type HD... like a satellite for your desktop. <hr></blockquote>

I'd buy that for a dollar.

Hope springs eternal.

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 5 of 25
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Seriously, NO FREAKING TABLET MAC !!!!!! Yeah I could accept a small (palm size) to mid size (Newton MP 2100) PDA Mac, but a tablet !? no thanks you probably need to pay me 10 dollars in order for me to throw it away for you.

Anyway I like sony's U1 subnotebook idea, it's great, it's really made for using it on the road even standing, which most notebook design ignores. Come on do you expect everytime when I need my laptop I'll be sitting ? I might be standing on a Metro or a bus when I need to pull out my notebook and maybe do something with it. Maybe Apple could learn a few things from Sony's way of looking at subnotebook, that certainly is a big market.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    I meant it would be like a Newton... not a self-contained tablet, a satellite. Closer to PDA than tablet. It's really quite simple... large, lithium-polymer battery, scaled down version of OSX with the essentials (iBrowse, iTunes, AppleWorks, iChat, Mail.app, AddressBook, etc.), plus Airport and bluetooth. It looks like a 2100. So you can use it in tablet/pda mode (whatever the hell you want to call it) with a stylus and Ink, then pull out your Bluetooth keyboard and type into it. Then you set it next to your mac, and it syncs with the desktop mail, addressbook, iTunes, etc. all off of a 20 gig toshiba miniHD, like what they have in the iPod. Also, easy SDK for porting pre-existing OSX apps to it, and you have the next newton in your hands. I think it would be far more viable that a subnotebook, especially for the consumers Apple caters to. American consumers, unlike the Japanese, aren't really subnotebook friendly. While the idea may take off in Japan, I doubt Apple would rush to produce a product for only one market.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    patchoulipatchouli Posts: 402member
    I would love an ultra light and thin notebook) from Apple. I hardly ever use the optical drive and would love a 2.5lb .08" thin Mac. They'd have to use the specs of the current updated iBook (or better) for it to perform well and justify the inevitably higher price. The iBook (and TiBook) should be updated before this happens (if this were to ever happen in the near future).

EDIT: Doh! Make that 0.8" thin!

[ 07-03-2002: Message edited by: Patchouli ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 25
    clonenodeclonenode Posts: 392member
    Just imagine the research and development that might be going at Apple right now to create the next best sub-notebook. Maybe somethingso small and unique, we can't even conceive it yet.

I see a curved little clamshell shape like the old iBooks, with a tiny keyboard along with a stylus. This thing will fit in the palm of your hand and link to your full-sized Mac.

Should be cool!
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Whatever they make MUST have full size alpha-numeric keys, the rest can be comprimised or eliminated, but not the letters and numbers. That's the minimum size any Apple subnote can take. Thusly, any such book would be 9-10" wide. When you eliminate the palm rest, add a flip over touch screen and (maybe) an intelligent bluetooth stylus as I described <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001785"; target="_blank">in this thread</a> or just a regular stylus on a reflective touch screen that flips around 180 degrees. You can make a pretty small 10x6x1" subnote/tablet/PDA hybrid WITH FULL SIZE KEYS!
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Apple doesn't need to make a subnotebook! They should make a pair of augmented-reality goggles (that look like stylish sunglasses, of course), a little wireless programmable control stick, and voice command. Now THAT would be the ultimate portable.

If they could give it half-decent speech recognition, of course. What good is Speakable Items in the first place?
  • Reply 11 of 25
    warpdwarpd Posts: 204member
    [quote]

Patchouli

I would love an ultra light and thin notebook) from Apple. I hardly ever use the optical drive and would love a 2.5lb .08" thin Mac. They'd have to use the specs of the current updated iBook (or better) for it to perform well and justify the inevitably higher price. The iBook (and TiBook) should be updated before this happens (if this were to ever happen in the near future). <hr></blockquote>

".08" thin mac??? Are you out of your fuc*ing mind?? Since what did Apple license manufactoring of it's systems to Alpha Centuri?? WTF!!!???
  • Reply 12 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Whatever they make MUST have full size alpha-numeric keys, the rest can be comprimised or eliminated, but not the letters and numbers. That's the minimum size any Apple subnote can take. Thusly, any such book would be 9-10" wide. When you eliminate the palm rest, add a flip over touch screen and (maybe) an intelligent bluetooth stylus as I described <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001785"; target="_blank">in this thread</a> or just a regular stylus on a reflective touch screen that flips around 180 degrees. You can make a pretty small 10x6x1" subnote/tablet/PDA hybrid WITH FULL SIZE KEYS!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Haven't you ever seen the Newton's external keyboard? Or how about one of those Stowaway keyboards for the Visor/Palm/Clie? The newton keyboard had damn close to full size keys in a very small package, and the stowaway gives you a full-size scissor-action keyboard, like on the walstreet PBG3, that FOLDS!!! Combine a stowaway (with bluetooth connectivity) and the Messagepad-like device I described earlier, and you have the perfect combo!

Of course, if you wanted to use the MessagePad in an easel mode, it would be a ten-second system to just pop it's third leg out, etc. It can be easily done and makes far more sense than an iBook-like subnotebook. This way, you attract the subnotebook people and the Newton people at once. See?
  • Reply 13 of 25
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I'm so tired of this coming up. I'd love a subnote from Apple. It's just that I've been disappointed so many times. Two years ago at MWT many people in Japan were really expecting some kind of light portable for the Japan market. The iBook is a worthy contender but it is still a little heavy.

The Libretto is pretty cool. The keys are full size but the wide screen makes for an over all small package. I thought hard about trying to run Mac OS 9 on this somehow.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    As soon as you have a detachable/foldable keyboard you lose the advantages of both the PDA and the subnote. With two items to balance/deploy you've just thrown one handed operation out the window. Now your product isn't as big as a traditional notebook or have a comparable screen, but you still have to sit down and rest it on a table or your lap to use it. Novel, but impractical. Likewise, if the majority of circuitry and battery is in the tablet (screen) portion, whenever you add a keyboard, you'll have a top heavy design. By designing the keyboard and the screen as one piece from the outset you can achieve better balance and functionality for both one and two handed operation, decent key size and pitch, and fumble free integration.

What I propose would operate just like a tablet when the screen is flipped past 180 degrees, but the keyboard would always be there for faster text input when you need to get work done faster. Also when you close up your 'pad' the screen is naturally protected just like on a traditional notebook.

The newton keyboard is pretty close to ideal for this type of device, I'm just saying it needs to be integrated and the alpha-numeric portion made a little bigger.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>As soon as you have a detachable/foldable keyboard you lose the advantages of both the PDA and the subnote. With two items to balance/deploy you've just thrown one handed operation out the window. Now your product isn't as big as a traditional notebook or have a comparable screen, but you still have to sit down and rest it on a table or your lap to use it. Novel, but impractical. Likewise, if the majority of circuitry and battery is in the tablet (screen) portion, whenever you add a keyboard, you'll have a top heavy design. By designing the keyboard and the screen as one piece from the outset you can achieve better balance and functionality for both one and two handed operation, decent key size and pitch, and fumble free integration.

What I propose would operate just like a tablet when the screen is flipped past 180 degrees, but the keyboard would always be there for faster text input when you need to get work done faster. Also when you close up your 'pad' the screen is naturally protected just like on a traditional notebook.

The newton keyboard is pretty close to ideal for this type of device, I'm just saying it needs to be integrated and the alpha-numeric portion made a little bigger.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Even though I see your point, and you're right, that would be great for many users, I couldn't see myself buying one. You're right, though, that would be the ideal design for an Apple subnotebook.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    penheadpenhead Posts: 45member
    Even if Apple considers the iBook to be their subnotebook, I think one thing is for sure:

Apple cannot afford to be left out of the small computer (pda/tablet)-market.

Also I think it stands to reason that if their idea of acquisions lately is to insure software compaitbility, they need to get into this space to insure that there are tablets, subnotes, pdas that function well with OS X ..
  • Reply 17 of 25
    patchoulipatchouli Posts: 402member
    [quote]Originally posted by warpd:

<strong>

".08" thin mac??? Are you out of your fuc*ing mind?? Since what did Apple license manufactoring of it's systems to Alpha Centuri?? WTF!!!???</strong><hr></blockquote>LOL! Of course I meant 0.8" thin!
  • Reply 18 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by penhead:

<strong>Even if Apple considers the iBook to be their subnotebook, I think one thing is for sure:

Apple cannot afford to be left out of the small computer (pda/tablet)-market.

Also I think it stands to reason that if their idea of acquisions lately is to insure software compaitbility, they need to get into this space to insure that there are tablets, subnotes, pdas that function well with OS X ..</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes! Yes! Someone understands what I'm pushing for!!! Finally!
  • Reply 19 of 25
    bluejekyllbluejekyll Posts: 103member
    I don't think they need it. Maybe a thinner version of the iBook would do, but that would be it. I think the iBook is plenty small...
  • Reply 20 of 25
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    [quote]Originally posted by BlueJekyll:

<strong>I don't think they need it. Maybe a thinner version of the iBook would do, but that would be it. I think the iBook is plenty small...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Living in Japan I'm less up to date with what's going on in other countries. Here the subnote market is quite large.

The iBook's footprint is not bad but it is too thick and heavy. It should be well under one inch and it should be about half the weight. It might even lose a little size around the edges and keep the same screen.

The point is to have something ultra-portable. Something you can hold in one hand and read from while riding on a train or something small enough to sit on top of a public phone. Something light enough that you don't mind carrying with you.

It would be nice if they brought back the PC card slot. There are little cards here that act as wireless modems so you can do email and surf (at moderate speeds) while sitting on a train or in a park.

This is probably just a Japan thing but I see people here using little B5 subnotes as desktop replacements just because space is at such a premium.

I think Apple could take the guts of the iBook, package in a smaller, lighter case (maybe no optical drive) and have a great subnote. By making something substantially different than the iBook they could get more sales. The nice thing about this market is that it is all about convenience. Battery life and style and lightness rule. This is a perfect application for a G3 which Apple already has. No waiting for a faster G4.