Apple, 67 other businesses file against North Carolina's HB2 'bathroom' law

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple and 67 other businesses have signed a new amicus brief, supporting the U.S. Justice Department's efforts to halt the enforcement of HB2, a North Carolina law forcing people to use bathrooms corresponding to their birth gender.

The brief was filed on Friday in conjunction with the pro-LGBT organization Human Rights Campaign, according to Re/code. It claims that HB2, passed by the North Carolina legislature in March, represents a kind of "invidious discrimination" hampering the companies' ability to recruit and retain workers in the state.

The corporations also try to make a grander economic case, suggesting that North Carolina has already lost over 1,700 jobs and half a billion dollars because of the law.

Apart from Apple, some other technology companies signed to the amicus include Airbnb, Cisco, eBay, IBM, Intel, Logitech, Microsoft, and PayPal.

In the United States at least, Apple has become an aggressive supporter of LGBT causes. In April for instance the company attacked Mississippi legislation allowing businesses to use religion to deny service to LGBT individuals. A month prior, CEO Tim Cook in fact signed an open letter -- also drafted by the Human Rights Campaign -- calling on North Carolina to repeal HB2.
baconstang

Comments

• Reply 1 of 127
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Yay big government, down with states rights, right? 
    SpamSandwichandrewj5790redraider11lkrupptallest skil9secondkox2philbert81spacekidjbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 127
    andrewj5790andrewj5790 Posts: 296member
    Way to go!! You managed to completely mischaracterize this law. All it does is protect the right of a business to decide how they want to handle this issue. 
    edited July 2016 redraider11tallest skil9secondkox2badmonkphilbert81jbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 127
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Yep. The Federal government wasn't meant to be a micromanager and the list of their constitutionally mandated duties used to be pretty short.
    thewhitefalconredraider11lkrupptallest skil9secondkox2badmonkphilbert81jbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 127
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    NC should have left whatever was original law alone and offer to add 3rd kind bathroom in new constructions or if extra bathroom is available in existing facility than convert one for transgender people. So, provide male, female and trans type bathrooms.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 5 of 127
    VisualSeedVisualSeed Posts: 217member
    Considering this was in response to a State deciding that a municipality didn't have the right to make its own laws on the subject, that's pretty ironic.
    roundaboutnowlordjohnwhorfinDeelronlondorP-DogNCbaconstangwaverboynyctravissphericboopthesnoot
  • Reply 6 of 127
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    My default stance on this is that it should be kept simple.  I don't care what you were born with, if you've got stand-up equipment, then use the restroom already in existence designed for those with that equipment.  If not, then use the other restroom.  Starting from that stance, what problems exist? 
    edited July 2016 lordjohnwhorfinweathersbaconstangsphericstevekelsojbdragonicoco3
  • Reply 7 of 127
    redraider11redraider11 Posts: 186member
    As long as you look like a man/women then I have no problem with you using whatever bathroom is most aligned with what you look like as long as you shut up, do your business, and get out without making a big deal about it. 

This wasn't a big deal before so I don't know why it is now. I guess Obama and Clinton had to drum up some other non-issue to get voters all riled up and go against conservatives. 
    londormonstrosityjbdragon
  • Reply 8 of 127
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    You know, I've actually come around on a lot of issues, and I do support gay marriage and other lgbt rights, but I don't know about this whole bathroom business.

I mean, what's to stop some pervert from just declaring that they're transgender all of a sudden, and then the pervert can just go on a city-wide tour of women's restrooms, and changing rooms and other places that are only for females?

What do females have to say about this? They're the ones that will have to be subjected to the intruder in their bathroom.

Would a parent want their underaged daughter to be using the same restrooms that a big hairy male uses?

I'm just saying.
    monstrosityjbdragon
  • Reply 9 of 127
    BuffyzDeadBuffyzDead Posts: 356member
    …….. to get voters all riled up and go against conservatives. 
    Open your eyes  …and ears     …turn on FOX, so its TRUE to you

Conservatives are going against Conservatives  right Now  …and more and more and more.

This has only one trajectory
    Conservatives will continue to go against Conservatives     ….keep an eye of FOX….so it is True To You
    edited July 2016 pbrstreetglondor
  • Reply 10 of 127
    apple ][ said:
    You know, I've actually come around on a lot of issues, and I do support gay marriage and other lgbt rights, but I don't know about this whole bathroom business.

I mean, what's to stop some pervert from just declaring that they're transgender all of a sudden, and then the pervert can just go on a city-wide tour of women's restrooms, and changing rooms and other places that are only for females?

What do females have to say about this? They're the ones that will have to be subjected to the intruder in their bathroom.

Would a parent want their underaged daughter to be using the same restrooms that a big hairy male uses?

I'm just saying.
    Well done on coming around on other issues, here is another one where you need to get informed.
    Google the name Buck Angel and let me know if you think a law forcing him to use the female restroom makes any sort of sense.
    People go to the restroom for the same reason, do their business with a minimum of privacy and peace and quiet -- well, with the exception of a few Republican lawmakers like Larry Craig. "What's to stop some pervert..." yes, right. Well, nothing is stopping them now, and the law is not designed to "stop some pervert". It's specifically crafted to harass transgender people. It's mean-spirited, nasty, bigoted, cruel, and unconstitutional. But it will get bigots to the polls in November, and that's pretty much the only reason it's there.
    singularityDeelronlondorP-DogNCbaconstangwaverboybadmonksphericboopthesnootiosenthusiast
  • Reply 11 of 127
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    The only solution is to completely ban sex based bathrooms. Make every bathroom/restroom gender neutral. No more Men/Women signs. Relieve yourself wherever it suits you. Hell, crap in the fountain in the center of town if you want to. I certainly don’t give a damn anymore.
    crowleygoodbyeranchmonstrosity
  • Reply 12 of 127
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    wood1208 said:
    NC should have left whatever was original law alone and offer to add 3rd kind bathroom
    Or mental health services. Something that would actually be beneficial and solve a real problem.

There are two sexes. No force of will, no power of man, and no act of a god will ever change what you are.
    Conservatives are going against Conservatives  right Now  …and more and more and more.
    That's hilarious, because it's the left that is eating itself, not the right. You're only seeing neocons come out as the leftist traitors they've always been. Meanwhile you have pride parades shut down by racists and I'm just here laughing at how pathetic an ideology predicated on moral relativism is.
    edited July 2016 icoco3joseph_went_south
  • Reply 13 of 127
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    apple ][ said:

I'm just saying.
    Well done on coming around on other issues, here is another one where you need to get informed.
    Google the name Buck Angel and let me know if you think a law forcing him to use the female restroom makes any sort of sense.
    People go to the restroom for the same reason, do their business with a minimum of privacy and peace and quiet -- well, with the exception of a few Republican lawmakers like Larry Craig. "What's to stop some pervert..." yes, right. Well, nothing is stopping them now, and the law is not designed to "stop some pervert". It's specifically crafted to harass transgender people. It's mean-spirited, nasty, bigoted, cruel, and unconstitutional. But it will get bigots to the polls in November, and that's pretty much the only reason it's there.
    Well, Buck Angel is a female regardless if she wants to look like a man. The law is not crafted to harass transgender people. I'm sorry but I don't want some man in the bathroom where my daughter is. To be quite honest, I'm sick of these LGTB groups. They discriminate themselves. LGTB groups will harass you if you don't agree with them. It's always their way or the highway, no middle ground. 
    tallest skil9secondkox2monstrosityicoco3
  • Reply 14 of 127
    DeelronDeelron Posts: 27member
    apple ][ said:

I'm just saying.

There's little a new law is going to do to stop a pervert from being a pervert. You don't get free rights to start opening stalls, taking pictures or peering over them (or worse) merely because you're the same gender.

Whats to stop them? I dunno, probably common sense given that they would likely have the hassle of being arrested if they did anything that could be constituted as currently illegal for same gendered people, and there would be an investigation of the person's past history as any evidence of transgenderism. I doubt "I became transgender one minute before entering the bathroom" would be an accepted legal argument. 

I'm a parent and I'd prefer no one to be using the bathroom at the same time as my child, even small, hairless ones. On the plus side there's a great many places we go that either a) are populated enough a pervert would likely be spotted or b) have a family restroom that I'm less concerned.  If a child of mine is going unaccompanied into an empty, multiple stall bathroom I'm not sure I'd be any more concerned if one identifiably transgender person out of the gobs of legitimately awful people out there were possibly in there. 

londorP-DogNCbaconstanglordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 15 of 127
    All bathrooms should be single occupancy anyways
    baconstangwaverboy9secondkox2
  • Reply 16 of 127
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Deelron said:
     I doubt "I became transgender one minute before entering the bathroom" would be an accepted legal argument. 
    Shh. Don't give them ideas. The way things have been going, "timing" is hardly an issue for the "transformation" between sexes. Also, posting is completely unusable on an iPad. The formatting is utterly broken (editing quotes causes the regular response field to disappear) and the fine selection loupe won't even appear.
  • Reply 17 of 127
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    apple ][ said:

I'm just saying.
    I think it unlikely that perverts will dress up as the other sex to get access to bathrooms. They can do that anytime anyway. Also, I have never heard of a fake transgender person committing a rape, or another obscene act in a bathroom, though it probably has happened at some point, somewhere or other. I have two teenage girls and The prospect of a trans woman using the washroom does not worry me in the slightest. If I had a son that was transgender and he was forced to use men's bathrooms however, I would fear for his life. I really believe that people need to learn a little about what it means to be transgender before passing judgement. If I go to the bathroom and some guy goes and uses a stall to take a leak, I couldn't care less. If that guy has female gentalia it really is none of my business. If a woman stood next to me and hitched up her skirt I'd cast a sideways look, for sure, but I'd probably wonder why she didn't use the ladies'. 
    londorP-DogNCbaconstangpscooter63lordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 18 of 127
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    Ahh, for the days when writing "girls toilets" and "boys toilets" where not discriminatory, but simply common sense. Something that is all but gone these days.
    tallest skil9secondkox2monstrosityicoco3
  • Reply 19 of 127
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    paxman said:
    If that guy has female gentalia it really is none of my business.
    What?? Please take a second to think about the logistics of what you just wrote. If someone has female genitalia, they are a female, and vice versa for male. This whole issue is a mental illness issue. And before you label me a bigot and hateful and whatever else, look up Gender Identity Disorder and Gender Dysphoria. They are medically recognized mental disorders that they are trying to find a cure for.

I am all for people getting help, but getting the right kind of help is the only real solution. Chopping something off or putting something there that isn't doesn't make the real problem go away.
    tallest skil9secondkox2icoco3
  • Reply 20 of 127
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    hittrj01 said:
    paxman said:
    What?? Please take a second to think about the logistics of what you just wrote. If someone has female genitalia, they are a female, and vice versa for male. This whole issue is a mental illness issue. And before you label me a bigot and hateful and whatever else, look up Gender Identity Disorder and Gender Dysphoria. They are medically recognized mental disorders that they are trying to find a cure for.

I am all for people getting help, but getting the right kind of help is the only real solution. Chopping something off or putting something there that isn't doesn't make the real problem go away.
    Is that medical expertise or is that some bullshit coming out of your fucking mouth.
    baconstangwaverboystourquewhy-lordjohnwhorfin