Review: Synology's DiskStation DS216j offers affordable yet advanced network storage

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
The DiskStation DS216j NAS is positioned near the bottom of Synology's consumer level network storage product range, but advanced software integration and a configurable design means the system can easily serve up to a small business.

Design

At its most basic level, the DiskStation DS216j is basically a white plastic box containing a circuit board, space for two SATA hard drives, a power supply and a fan. You supply the drives -- 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch SATA II or SATA III HDD/SDD supported -- and Synology takes care of the rest with its powerful package of NAS software. While Synology markets a multitude of NAS units, this particular model boasts 512MB of DDR3 RAM feeding data to a 32-bit, dual-core 1.0 GHz Marvell Armada processor. The chipset can address a maximum of 16TB of storage, for example two 8TB HDDs, set up in any number of RAID configurations. Users can opt to pipe in data from a computer or an external hard drivevia one of two USB 3.0 ports positioned in the back of the DS216j, next to the unit's LAN port and DC power input. Those looking to connect wirelessly need to save a port for a WiFi dongle. The chassis itself is a solid half metal, half plastic design that splits in two for drive access. A Kensington lock slot is provided on the metal side for securing the NAS, though the feature does not secure the drives living inside from theft.
A bank of user-dimmable LEDs out front signal CPU status, LAN usage and the status of each disk. The front-facing power button sports an embedded blue LED to notify users that the system is operational.

Setup

Upon receipt of Synology's DiskStation, I was able to get the device up and running easily within twenty minutes. Setup is easy and straightforward. I installed two hard drives, powered up the unit and connected it to my local network with the supplied CAT5 cable. Following instructions in the box, I connected to the device over the local network and was asked to download Synology's DiskStation Manager 6.0 operating system. Download and installation took about ten minutes, after which a setup screen is presented for entering account information. Once setup is complete, DSM makes it easy to configure your NAS environment, from network security to personal cloud syncing.

Usage

Like most NAS products, users can choose to run the DS216j in a variety of RAID configurations, such as RAID 1 for redundancy or RAID 0 for largest storage and fastest access but no redundancy. Synology also offers Synology Hybrid RAID, a custom RAID configuration based on a Linux RAID system that offers beginners a good mix of volume data protection and speed.
After setting up the hard drives, I created a shared folder and chose to have that folder accessed by Mac computers. Doing so let me quickly and easily access this folder as a Time Machine backup from my Mac. One of the nice abilities of Synology's DSM software is the option to make part of the storage space available to Windows computers on the network. The virtual volume can be segmented to allocate 200GB to Windows, 500GB to simple file storage for the Mac and the rest to Time Machine, for example. Aside from Apple's own AirPort Time Capsule, DSM was by far the quickest and easiest I've ever been able to setup a Time Machine backup. There was no configuration to be done. I just created a folder, checked a box, and my Mac could then use it. DiskStation offers robust synchronization of files between computers with different operating systems or between multiple DiskStation units, and you can even synchronize files between the DiskStation and cloud storage services such as Google Drive, Box and OneDrive. Administrators can set user permissions for folders, as well as web access to certain folders.
Synology's software is a complete operating system offering advanced options for backups, permissions, scheduling and more, all accessed from a web interface that lets users monitor vital statistics such as temperature, network speed and CPU load. One of the unique features offered by DSM is access to dozens of free "plugins," or modules that allow further DiskStation customization. For example, the DS216j can act as an entertainment server, streaming multimedia to DLNA servers, Apple TV, Chromecast and Roku. Another plugin is designed to remotely monitor and record video feeds from IP cameras on your network. Synology also developed mobile apps for remote data access from iOS and Android. In March, Synology released DiskStation manager 6.0, one of their largest updates today according to Synology. Updates include a private cloud collaboration suite, multiple media apps now work with the new Apple TV, Apple Watch and Windows 10, 64-bit architecture, less essential applications are now modules letting you decide what to install, enhanced security, applications for private mail servers with load balancing, multi-site backups up to every five minutes, and numerous other improvements.

Conclusion

The design, not only of the hardware, but also the DSM software, makes the Synology DiskStation a valuable addition to any network. The availability of downloadable modules let you customize exactly how you want to use the DiskStation. DSM's easy setup options get you up and running in just a few minutes and then, over the course of days and weeks, allows small tweaks to perfect your backup and personal cloud solution. In short, the value added extras pushes DS216j well beyond its status as a budget NAS enclosure.

Score: 4 out of 5

Pros
  • Quick to set up for basic backups
  • Affordable
  • Web access to data and vital statistics
  • Whisper quiet and cool operation
Cons
  • Some settings hard to find
  • Advanced DSM configuration might be confusing

Where to buy

The Synology DiskStation DS216j is available now for $169.99 from Amazon.com or AppleInsider partner B&H Photo.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Am I the only one experiencing a lot of issues with smb3 and OS X/ macOS?

This only happens on Synology shares icw smb, finder exits and only a Finder restart solves the issue temporally.

edited July 2016
  • Reply 2 of 25
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    The chipset can address a maximum of 16TB of storage, for example two 8TB HDDs, set up in any number of RAID configurations.
    Considering that RAID 2, 3, 4 and 5 require 3 drives and RAID 6 requires 4 drives minimum, your "any number of RAID configurations" is limited to RAID 0 or RAID 1.

Considering that RAID 0 offers no fault tolerance or redundancy, we can discount it. So effectively, this is RAID 1 only.

I'll stick with my Drobo.
    lordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 3 of 25
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Was this 'review' done to get a free NAS?  Its incredibly basic, doesn't cover hardware specification CPU RAM etc and network performance, glances over features.  Y
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 4 of 25
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,167member
    I think I would prefer four bays to give you more raid options for better redundancy in a NAS. That is a big reason why you want a NAS, right? Otherwise for backup any cheap external drive would do.

Question, do people think this amount of RAM is sufficient for consumer level NAS? Transcribing and streaming video on the fly for example would be a typical use in the home for people likely to buy a consumer NAS.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 5 of 25
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    entropys said:
    I think I would prefer four bays to give you more raid options for better redundancy in a NAS. That is a big reason why you want a NAS, right? Otherwise for backup any cheap external drive would do.

Question, do people think this amount of RAM is sufficient for consumer level NAS? Transcribing and streaming video on the fly for example would be a typical use in the home for people likely to buy a consumer NAS.
    I have a previous gen version of this NAS and I bought it to store all my media and to act as my home media server, VPN, Dropbox style folder sync.. etc.. It is definitely more than just backup. I have no problem streaming to my AppleTV and other iOS devices. Sometimes we have multiples devices streaming at the same time without an issue. This model does't not offer transcoding on the fly meaning your video files need to be in the supported format. 
  • Reply 6 of 25
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

irnchriz said:
    Was this 'review' done to get a free NAS?  Its incredibly basic, doesn't cover hardware specification CPU RAM etc and network performance, glances over features.  Y
    This review is basic. This NAS is consumer grade but there are many options and you can install apps. Check their website.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    entropys said:

Why not allow the STB to do any required transcoding (or other "heavy lifting") so you don't then overpay for unnecessary memory and CPU in a normal household usage situation? I've had multiple AppleTVs and they all can play any videos thrown at them (save perhaps H.265 videos, I seem to remember my ATV2 failing to keep up properly, but that's an outlier case and probably not going to be better handled by any *affordable* NAS) in any format, I'd imagine most STBs today can transcode "on the fly" no problem, no?
  • Reply 8 of 25
    nasserae said:

irnchriz said:
    This review is basic. This NAS is consumer grade but there are many options and you can install apps. Check their website.
    Im perfectly aware of what synology offer, we have clients who use their larger offerings and like QNAP etc the firmware and feature set is fairly standard across the range.  My comment was with regards to what Ai calls a 'review', looks like he wrote it whilst on the bog for all that it was worth.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    joeydjoeyd Posts: 2member
    evilution said:
    The chipset can address a maximum of 16TB of storage, for example two 8TB HDDs, set up in any number of RAID configurations.
    Considering that RAID 2, 3, 4 and 5 require 3 drives and RAID 6 requires 4 drives minimum, your "any number of RAID configurations" is limited to RAID 0 or RAID 1.

Considering that RAID 0 offers no fault tolerance or redundancy, we can discount it. So effectively, this is RAID 1 only.

I'll stick with my Drobo.
    I'm sure it can do SHR too. And don't compare it to a Drobo. Drobo boxes can only do a fraction of what the Synology and Qnap can do.
    xixoargonaut
  • Reply 10 of 25
    joeydjoeyd Posts: 2member
    entropys said:
    I think I would prefer four bays to give you more raid options for better redundancy in a NAS.
    Do you even know what RAID 1 is?
  • Reply 11 of 25
    irnchriz said:
    As has been said, this is a 2-drive system. Far too small for pretty well any of those who post here (IMHO).
    I have a DS409 that is pretty old but took the latest software well. It has 2x1.5Tb and 2x 3TB drives in a Raid 5 config. Timemachine works perfectly on it.

The omission of performance is my biggest grip with this article. A feature comparison with say a QNAP device would have been nice as well.

In general these units do what it says on the Tin but the internal CPU is a big driver when it comes to overall performance.

Finally, there does seem to be an big price hike for a 4 or 5 drive device when compared to a 2 drive device. The same goes for Drobo's.

lordjohnwhorfinpscooter63argonaut
  • Reply 12 of 25
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    irnchriz said:
    Also, it doesn’t address is the USB ports can be used to add 2 more drives to the Raid or not? It covers the software more than the hardware which is silly considering software can be updated & hardware you are stuck with.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 13 of 25
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    nasserae said:

irnchriz said:
    If a review covers less important detail than you can get off the manufacturer’s (biased) site, then it’s not worth the bytes it takes up IMO. So, weak review—try updating it.
    irnchriz
  • Reply 14 of 25
    I have been absolutely thrilled by the HP G7 Proliant mini. You can find it for under $200, and it's a full fledged low power PC with 4 SATA bays, which can easily be configured to actually hold 5 SATA drives in a RAID configuration (if you sacrifice the optical drive) and boot off an extra internal USB drive. I installed the free OpenMediaVault, which is a fantastic Linux distribution with a very elaborate, well designed plug-in architecture supporting pre-built modules for file sharing, backup, multimedia... Been running it for years without the slightest problem, and while it requires a little more expertise to assemble and setup than the QNAP, it's not that hard. Once configured, the management screens are just as easy, and OpenMediaVault provides considerably more options and flexibility.
    If you're not afraid of Linux, it's a much better bang for your buck than anything dedicated NAS boxes can offer.
    irnchriz
  • Reply 15 of 25
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    irnchriz said:
    nasserae said:

Im perfectly aware of what synology offer, we have clients who use their larger offerings and like QNAP etc the firmware and feature set is fairly standard across the range.  My comment was with regards to what Ai calls a 'review', looks like he wrote it whilst on the bog for all that it was worth.
    Since this is a third party (non-apple) product, it seems entirely appropriate to review this in a less in-depth fashion than you might find on synologyinsider.com

Looks like the domain is available.

Instead of complaining, perhaps you could get to work and produce the kind of content you feel is missing?
  • Reply 16 of 25
    polymnia said:
    irnchriz said:
    Since this is a third party (non-apple) product, it seems entirely appropriate to review this in a less in-depth fashion than you might find on synologyinsider.com

Instead of complaining, perhaps you could get to work and produce the kind of content you feel is missing?
    Why are you sticking up for this piss poor excuse for a review?  If they want to review an item do a proper review not a gorified summary. If I was running a website and doing reviews then, Yes I would write a better review but that's not my job. It is however the job of the staff at Ai to perform this function.  Unless they are going to do a proper review they really shouldn't bother.  I still think this is a free advert to get a synology box for free though.  LOL. 
  • Reply 17 of 25
    irnchriz said:
    polymnia said:

Why are you sticking up for this piss poor excuse for a review?  If they want to review an item do a proper review not a gorified summary. If I was running a website and doing reviews then, Yes I would write a better review but that's not my job. It is however the job of the staff at Ai to perform this function.  Unless they are going to do a proper review they really shouldn't bother.  I still think this is a free advert to get a synology box for free though.  LOL. 
    Obviously they make revenue off this review. Everything AI does is in pursuit of profit. There are clearly obvious affiliate links to Amazon & B&H.

It gives a quick overview of the product from a Mac user's POV. It's light, but certainly not misleading.

I prefer AI saving their best editorial work for Mac, iOS & Apple products.

I don't mind some lighter coverage of 3rd party products that may of interest to some readers.
    Deelronargonaut
  • Reply 18 of 25
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Love my Synology.
    xixoargonaut
  • Reply 19 of 25
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Since the review is pretty useless, I will share my Synology experience, albeit with a DS1515+.  (Any small business considering anything lower than this is doing themselves a disservice.)

For about $2k with drives and eight hours of pain, we set up a DS1515 as a backup storage for our primary file servers.  It uses BRTFS, which is capable of nearly instant snapshots, and used this to do an rsnapshot backup of our Linux server.  The pain was mainly around dealing which old versions of Perl and other important utilities.  The box would be marginally useful without command line access, but with it the thing is golden.  I would get about 35MB/s transfer rates via rsync for the initial backup, and hourly updates with BTRFS/rsnapshot take about 2-3 minutes.  

I looked at a few of the other apps they had in their app center; tried asterisk and one other thing which escapes me.  Not especially reliable...

Only real gripe at the price point is that btrfs is on top of LVM for RAID, so you don't really have the ability to recover from bit rot.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    My Synology is a DS1812+

I've used it for years as my home studio's Time Machine backup target for several Macs, storage of large client asset files and hosting media for consumption in my home and remotely via my devices.

I'm not using it for anything terribly technical, but it fits my needs admirably.

Now that my personal media library and client asset libraries are much larger than they were, I'm planning for a rack station model someday, just for the density of drives. I built a small equipment rack under a staircase while remodeling my home a few years back that has an APS rack-mount battery backup that can power my whole graphic design setup for a few hours in a blackout (which happened last week for 2.5 days) and will condition power from a generator indefinitely. There is plenty of room left in there for a Synology RackStation.

The quality of technology now available at reasonable prices for home-based businesses days is incredible.
    argonaut