Apple donates $1M to China NGO to assist flood relief efforts

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2016
Apple recently became the first U.S. company to donate to the China Foundation for Poverty Alleviation (CFPA), a non-governmental organization helping with flood relief efforts after heavy rains impacted millions along the Yangtze river region.

The CFPA announced taking receipt of a 7 million yuan (approximately $1 million) donation from Apple on Monday, saying it plans to work with the company to allocate contributions where they are most needed, reports USA Today.

"Our thoughts are with all those devastated by the flooding along the Yangtze River," Apple CEO Tim Cook said in a post to popular Chinese social network Weibo.

The publication cites statistics from China's Ministry of Civil Affairs, saying torrential rains have affected 31 million people in over 500 towns across the region. Some one million people need emergency assistance as a result of the floods, which began in late June and continue through to today.

Apple has in the past assisted its second largest market during times of crisis. Most recently, the company contributed $1.6 million in financial aid to assist responders after a devastating earthquake hit China's Yunnan province in 2014. A year earlier, Apple donated $8 million for earthquake relief in Sichuan province.

Beyond its own corporate philanthropy, Apple routinely leverages iTunes to help customers donate to emergency efforts funded by the Red Cross. Other special promotions include events like World AIDS Day, when the company donates a portion of App Store and retail sales to the (RED) Foundation.
lolliver

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    The offering should come with numerous legal strings attached  :D .
    apple ][
  • Reply 2 of 11
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    The offering should come with numerous legal strings attached  :D .
    The support is being provided to CFPA. It has nothing to do with the Chinese government. The CFPA provides disaster relief in this case (which unfortunately in many cases is caused by the governments river control programs. Think Army Corps of Engineers but along a river five times longer than the Mississippi and a population along its banks equal to that of all Canada). 

The normal function of the CFPA is to provide micro financing to small businesses and individuals in China to start and maintain their business. Micro finance is becoming a means to fight poverty throughout the world. Interesting that it's not being tried here in the US. Maybe it has been blocked by the large banking lobby since it would cut into their high interest loans that are not growing small businesses but instead seem to be against them?
    lolliverjony0
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    Apple did the right thing but donate to a wrong organization. NGO really pisses Chinese government off. What Apple should do at least is donate at least same amount of money to the notorious China Red Cross which is the only official charity organization. Mang, I am worried about Apple's China effort if they cannot get even this kind of thing right. 
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    mubaili said:
    Apple did the right thing but donate to a wrong organization. NGO really pisses Chinese government off. What Apple should do at least is donate at least same amount of money to the notorious China Red Cross which is the only official charity organization. Mang, I am worried about Apple's China effort if they cannot get even this kind of thing right. 
    Maybe they wanted the money to actually do some good. 
    lolliverstourque
  • Reply 5 of 11
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

"A force for GOOD"

That's what Apple is.
    I understand that Steve Jobs wanted that.
    lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 11
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I'd rather not that Apple were "a force for good". What is "good" is open to debate, and often, what a liberal thinks is "good" is downright wrong and sometimes evil.

I know that this is a crazy idea, but I'd prefer that Apple just makes great computers and devices. :#
    lkruppSpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 11
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    apple ][ said:
    I'd rather not that Apple were "a force for good". What is "good" is open to debate, and often, what a liberal thinks is "good" is downright wrong and sometimes evil.

I know that this is a crazy idea, but I'd prefer that Apple just makes great computers and devices. :#
    I know this a crazy idea but I'd prefer Apple to carty on doing this evil "liberal" action as well as making computers and devices
  • Reply 8 of 11
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    apple ][ said:

Yes, this really distracts and takes away from Apple making devices and computers. Apple has always donated when people/countries are in need. Even the so called wonderful Steve Jobs did this in case you don't remember. 
  • Reply 9 of 11
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I think China has enough money to take care of themselves. I don't know why anyone would donate money to China when they are one of the most uncooperative and selfish nations on the planet. Let them take care of themselves. Did Apple donate anything to help the victims of the recent devastating floods here in the US? If so I certainly didn't hear about it.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    volcan said:
    I think China has enough money to take care of themselves. I don't know why anyone would donate money to China when they are one of the most uncooperative and selfish nations on the planet. Let them take care of themselves. Did Apple donate anything to help the victims of the recent devastating floods here in the US? If so I certainly didn't hear about it.

Just because China as a country has money, doesn't mean its using it on its citizens, even in a time of need. I'm sure there's a little PR involved with this as well. Kissing ass goes a long ways sometimes. 

While Apple may not have donated to victims of recent flooding here in the US, they have setup and donated funds from other US natural disasters in the past. 
  • Reply 11 of 11
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    apple ][ said:

Seems people helping people is a foreign concept to you. You would rather people do 'good' things like being selfish. I'm sure you're familiar with Ann Rand. She once said that the thing that brought her the most satisfaction in her life was when she helped Russian soldiers learn to read. Damn liberal.
    singularity