Pokemon Go launches in the UK, is now the biggest mobile game in US history

Posted:
in iPhone
The Pok?mon Go deployment rolls on with the game appearing in the U.K. App Store overnight on Thursday, one day after the title went live in Germany.

As with Wednesday's rollout, the official Pok?mon Go Twitter account heralded the release in the U.K. The continued rollout across Europe affirms a report from Monday that indicated the blockbuster title would expand internationally this week.

As with the initial demand in every other launch country, outage tracking data aggregator Downdetector.com is noting wide areas of the U.K. suffering from server outages. Yesterday's launch country, Germany, is still seeing massive outages as well.

Pok?mon Go appears to be the biggest mobile game in U.S. history, supplanting a peak set by Candy Crush Saga in 2013. Analytics firm Survey Monkey found that Pok?mon Go attracted nearly 21 million daily active users in the U.S. as of Wednesday, which was more than the peak audience of 20 million for Candy Crush Saga.

Nintendo and Google spin-off Niantic are only two of the companies involved in bringing the immensely successful Pok?mon Go to market, with The Pok?mon Company largely responsible for intellectual property management, and Google itself handling the map data. Thursday's launch makes the U.K. the fifth country where the game is available, joining the U.S., Australia, Germany, and New Zealand.

While launches in Japan and other countries in Asia are sill rumored to be "within a few days," the Japanese website for Pok?mon Go remains unchanged after last week's modification, and only gives a vague 2016 window.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    When it hits Japan, this game is going to go balistic. 
  • Reply 2 of 22
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Any reason why Nintendo didn't first release this product in it's home country?
    cali
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Think its crashed the server here in the UK, when it launches in Japan it will probably crash the planet
  • Reply 4 of 22
    The game probably can't handle stealing that many users' data at once.  I bet if Nintendo had paired with Apple instead of some turd that Google pooped out there wouldn't be server issues.  I hope Nintendo is learning their lesson about who they partner with.  They should have come to Apple.
    calibadmonk
  • Reply 5 of 22
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I think Pokemon Go needs to be updated to not play while the device goes more than 10 mph. Too many stupid people are crashing cars while playing. 
    calibadmonk
  • Reply 6 of 22
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Disappointed Nintendo couldn't release this exclusively or at least non exclusively on their own DS line. It seems they've lost hope.

The game probably can't handle stealing that many users' data at once.  I bet if Nintendo had paired with Apple instead of some turd that Google pooped out there wouldn't be server issues.  I hope Nintendo is learning their lesson about who they partner with.  They should have come to Apple.

Wish Apple would have acquired Nintendo long ago.

jungmark said:
    I think Pokemon Go needs to be updated to not play while the device goes more than 10 mph. Too many stupid people are crashing cars while playing. 

Yes it's ridiculous. Also the map should be in a corner while the rest of the screen is front camera+AR. Would solve a ton of problems and be more fun.

Im surprised Clash Royale is a top game. I play it a lot. Where the heck is Angry Birds in the chart?
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Grimzahn said:
    When became this site a Pokemon fansite?
    It hasn't. However, when something has more average active users per day than Twitter, it tends to get covered.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    I would really like a clear answer of how involved Nintendo was AT ALL in the development and launch of this game. I understand their stake in "The Pokemon Company" and general connection, but IMO, the Mii game a few months ago is a better example of the real Nintendo mobile strategy ... (meaning they are still clueless and have no immediate plans to do anything significant with their other titles (Metroid, Zelda, etc.)).

I'll bet a Lure Module that Nintendo is STUNNED at the success and is busy loading up the boardrooms with pizza trying to figure out what a smartphone is still.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 9 of 22
    noelosnoelos Posts: 127member
    I've been playing this for a couple of days in relative isolation in London. Now that it's officially available I know there's suddenly going to be random-seeming crowds around.

Instead of an alien invasion or a James Bond super-villain blowing up Tower Bridge like the movies told us, it will collapse under the weight of the Pokemon Go players gathered at the Gym in the middle of it.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

"smartphone" and "mobile" are not synonymous. How many copies did Tetris sell?
  • Reply 11 of 22
    I played this for about 10 minutes before I realized I was losing IQ points.
    icoco3
  • Reply 12 of 22
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    I went to the park last night with my girlfriend and it was packed solely because of this game. All kinds of people from every different social economic background was playing and having a great time. Every type of phone you could imagine all playing together. Guess what? Nobody cared if someone had a iPhone or Samsung or any other phone. They cared about catching a Pokémon and having fun all while being outside together. 

Niantic is a independent company that spent over 3 years developing Ingress which is exactly what Pokémon Go is just with a Pokémon theme slapped on top. Apple couldn't come up with that amount of information in such a short period of time to make Pokémon Go work the way it does. It took 1000s of users imputing information for all the portals that took many years.

In addition, for this game to be as popular as it is, it has to be on both platforms for it to be as successful as it is. EVERYONE is playing this and coming together outside meeting up and finding new friends regardless of platform they play on. They don't care about all the Apple/Android crap you and a few others seem to care about so much. They just want to have fun and enjoy being together.

The servers got impacted because the game blew up so quickly beyond anyone thought it would. It's being fixed and will/is improving everyday. Apple seems to have cloud issues a lot as well. Not everyone is perfect, not even Apple.
    edited July 2016 Rauthasingularitylolliver
  • Reply 13 of 22
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I play a few mobile games on my iPhone and iPad from time to time, but Pokemon is probably not for me.

Having said that, I do see this game as being something positive, because it will get rid of the dumbest millennials that we have.

There have already been numerous accidents and just plain stupidity caused by this game, with morons who have their faces buried in their phones. Players have already gotten hit by cars, robbed, walked into lakes, walked into traffic, discovered dead bodies and that's just for starters!

This game will get rid of the dumbest among us. So keep playing. 

Mobiles devices are great, but many people have no mobile etiquette and some of them will soon have to pay dearly for their rudeness, selfishness and complete stupidity.
    edited July 2016 badmonk
  • Reply 14 of 22
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    apple ][ said:
    I play a few mobile games on my iPhone and iPad from time to time, but Pokemon is probably not for me.

Having said that, I do see this game as being something positive, because it will get rid of the dumbest millennials that we have.

There have already been numerous accidents and just plain stupidity caused by this game, with morons who have their faces buried in their phones. Players have already gotten hit by cars, robbed, walked into lakes, walked into traffic, discovered dead bodies and that's just for starters!

This game will get rid of the dumbest among us. So keep playing. 

Mobiles devices are great, but many people have no mobile etiquette and some of them will soon have to pay dearly for their rudeness, selfishness and complete stupidity.
    I agree with you about the dumb people playing with no regard to the surrounding area but for every negative story you read you can find a positive one about people making new friends and stuff like that. There is always another side. 
  • Reply 15 of 22
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I agree with you about the dumb people playing with no regard to the surrounding area but for every negative story you read you can find a positive one about people making new friends and stuff like that. There is always another side. 
    Sure, I agree that there are also some positive aspects to it also. I'm actually not against the game at all, because I want to see more Nintendo stuff coming out for iOS, stuff that's not neccessarily Pokemon, but other franchises.

But you know me. I tend to focus on the negative side of things usually. :#
    sirlance99
  • Reply 16 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    satchmo said:
    Any reason why Nintendo didn't first release this product in it's home country?
    Nintendo didn't make the game.
    lolliver
  • Reply 17 of 22
    apple ][ said:
    "Sure, I agree that there are also some positive aspects to it also. ...
    But you know me. I tend to focus on the negative side of things usually."

Well at least you're upfront about your take on life, Sir (I assume you're male). This issue is so close to my real life it's scary. 
    You take pride in your attitude, while
    my old maid aunt relishes, at every opportunity, reminding all the family, at every gathering, how "things are going to hell in a hand basket"...including the holiday we're celebrating, yet wonders why she could never hook a man and still sees herself as the voice of what's right and wrong. Tells my little brother to "keep right on playing your silly games, you will flunk out of school soon". He's been in top 5% of his h.s. for 3 years, loves programming, out "pokès" his buds and gf.
    lolliver
  • Reply 18 of 22
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    crowley said:
    They are charting daily active users. Other games have way more downloads including Candy Crush and Angry Birds, which are over a billion downloads but this is the highest people have been measured using a game at the same time in the US. Steam has 125 million users but 12 million peak concurrent worldwide. Not all games have online connections though so Tetris could well have been played more concurrently. There wasn't any internet when it launched and every version is probably offline. The number of Tetris copies sold isn't clear, some sites quote one of the publishers saying 425 million on mobile but EA who is the publisher for mobile said it has 100 million:

http://www.ea.com/news/tetris-game-surpasses-100-million-mobile-downloads

Candy Crush has hit 93 million daily users worldwide so Pokemon would fall short of that so far. There's always going to be articles about currently popular products, if sites started posting articles about Tetris when everybody is talking about Pokemon, nobody is going to read the stories. Maybe they could dress it up:

Scandal: Pokemon not as popular as everyone thinks. Game from the 80s still has it beat.

But then a whole bunch of commenters would point out that there's no way to verify how many copies of Tetris were used at the same time and the headline was just trying to get people to click on it, not realising every headline tries to do this.

The point to take home is just that Pokemon Go is really popular. It's already top of the App Store's free and highest grossing chart after a single week and reportedly making $1.6m per day in the US:

http://qz.com/729935/pokemon-go-is-making-1-6-million-each-day-in-the-us-from-ios-users-paying-for-silly-virtual-goods/

Pokemon was already a huge franchise before this game:

http://www.polygon.com/pokemon/2014/8/18/6030089/Pokemon-sales-numbers

"The Pokémon video game franchise has sold more than 260 million games worldwide
    The Pokémon trading card game has shipped more than 21.5 billion cards to 74 countries in 10 languages"

There were over 150 million DS users and not all of them moved to a 3DS. Probably about 100 million Nintendo fans moved to smartphones and have been desperate to get games like this. For all the games that are on smartphones, the platform is still lacking in good quality games so any major games publisher can make a big impact. They just don't know how to make money consistently yet. Free-to-play works for some games but not all. When you look at big console titles, really successful titles sell in the low millions in the first week but because every game is about $60, the revenue is huge. GTA V made $1b in 3 days, >$3b overall. This really successful mobile title will have made ~$10m in a week because <5% of free-to-play users pay for things and they'll pay ~$10-20. If it had been $20 upfront like on a DS/3DS and had this sales volume, it would be ~$400m revenue but 20 million people won't pay $20 on mobile. Square Enix is trying this:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/final-fantasy-vi/id719401490?mt=8
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app-bundle/final-fantasy-iv-complete-pac/id918388546?mt=8

One strategy is to have subscriptions per company so you'd pay monthly to access a company's games library and lose access to the games when you stop paying. These Pokemon players would pay for example $0.99/month to use Pokemon Go and when Fire Emblems and Animal Crossing arrive, they get access to them. With 100 million users paying this, they'd make $840m per year recurring. That's still a fraction of the $4.5b Nintendo made last year but half is hardware revenue that isn't very profitable and additional IAPs can increase it, maybe they'd set the price at $1.99/month.

The other problem is how to attract the audience on mobile because there's a different way of interacting than consoles. Augmented reality has been an attraction here but only because it matches up so well with a game about collecting items. Nintendo probably couldn't apply this to any of their other games e.g rescue Princess Peach from the local supermarket.

It looks like people just want a DS console experience but without Nintendo's hardware and use the phone they already have. This will need a hardware add-on to be able to cover their full library of titles. Nintendo has given the impression they want to use smartphones to connect with players and not replace their own hardware. Having a few tens of millions of accounts gives them direct marketing for their products like the NX hardware next year and phones will just supplement this. Nintendo can't really do connected hardware everywhere as people won't get a cellular data contract for their Nintendo hardware so phones have to take that place.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Downloaded it, don't have a Google account and don't want one, unusable so deleted it.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Marvin said:
    crowley said:
    They are charting daily active users. Other games have way more downloads including Candy Crush and Angry Birds, which are over a billion downloads but this is the highest people have been measured using a game at the same time in the US. Steam has 125 million users but 12 million peak concurrent worldwide. Not all games have online connections though so Tetris could well have been played more concurrently. There wasn't any internet when it launched and every version is probably offline. The number of Tetris copies sold isn't clear, some sites quote one of the publishers saying 425 million on mobile but EA who is the publisher for mobile said it has 100 million:

http://www.ea.com/news/tetris-game-surpasses-100-million-mobile-downloads

Candy Crush has hit 93 million daily users worldwide so Pokemon would fall short of that so far. There's always going to be articles about currently popular products, if sites started posting articles about Tetris when everybody is talking about Pokemon, nobody is going to read the stories. Maybe they could dress it up:

Scandal: Pokemon not as popular as everyone thinks. Game from the 80s still has it beat.

But then a whole bunch of commenters would point out that there's no way to verify how many copies of Tetris were used at the same time and the headline was just trying to get people to click on it, not realising every headline tries to do this.

The point to take home is just that Pokemon Go is really popular. It's already top of the App Store's free and highest grossing chart after a single week and reportedly making $1.6m per day in the US:
    Obviously yes, and I'm not trying to take away from Pokemon Go, all the best to it.  That doesn't excuse clickbait headlines and inaccurate or ambiguous claims and statistics though.

"Biggest mobile game in US history"
    "Smartphone game with most active daily users ever"

Both effective, and one of them a lot more accurate.