DxO One Lightning camera for iPhone & iPad arrives at Best Buy's online & retail stores

Posted:
in iPhone
DxO's dedicated iPhone and iPad Lightning-connected camera, the DxO One, expanded its sales reach this week with a launch at Best Buy's U.S. online store, and a select number of retail locations.

Although the add-on normally costs $499, online Best Buy shoppers can currently get the DxO One for $479.99. Competing vendors Amazon and B&H are selling the device for 99 cents less, but don't have any real-world presence apart from the latter's store in New York City.

Apple was carrying the product in its own retail stores, but a spokesperson told AppleInsider that DxO is "currently on a hiatus from that."

The DxO One connects to a device's Lightning port, and improves photos and video though features like a dedidicated 20.2-megapixel CMOS sensor, ISO levels up to 51,200, and a 32mm-equivalent f/1.8 lens. A matching iOS app serves as both an interface and a live view.

The accessory runs on devices as far back as the iPhone 5 and fourth-generation iPad. Content can be saved to a microSD slot, though no card is included.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    Poor lighting connector. Imagine how easy it will break
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I thought about his a while back for a hot second and then I realized that even if it adds some features the advantage I was really looking for in this sort of device would really be a zoom lens. A fixed lens didn't seem that compelling to me compared to the 6s/ 6s plus lens. 
    magman1979lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 12
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Just get a DSLR that supports MiFi memory cards.  I picked up a Pentax K50 with an 18-55mm lens, along with a 32GB MiFi card, all for less than $500.  The memory card creates a Wifi hotspot, I connect to it from the iPhone and can download right in the field.  Even raw image formats can be downloaded, though I haven't bothered with that as I'm not doing any heavy image editing after the fact.  I'll shop for wide angle and zoom lenses before a trip to the Philippines later this year.  
    lolliverwelshdog
  • Reply 4 of 12
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Just get a DSLR that supports MiFi memory cards.  I picked up a Pentax K50 with an 18-55mm lens, along with a 32GB MiFi card, all for less than $500.  The memory card creates a Wifi hotspot, I connect to it from the iPhone and can download right in the field.  Even raw image formats can be downloaded, though I haven't bothered with that as I'm not doing any heavy image editing after the fact.  I'll shop for wide angle and zoom lenses before a trip to the Philippines later this year.  
    The DSLR is fine, I have been using SLR's and DSLR's for work (and other) for more than 45 years. Parts of that time I've been accused of carrying one everywhere I went, including the shower (a base canard).

But what about times when you're not planning on hauling your gear along, or maybe scouting out a new area for good sites, or just notice some targets of opportunity?

There are times for the Super Duty truck, there are times for the bicycle, or even just a pair of shoes and a handy pocket. Lots of tools for lots of different opportunities.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 5 of 12
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    viclauyyc said:
    fingers can break pretty easily, too. doesn't make having them less useful...
    lolliverroundaboutnowdementuschikan
  • Reply 6 of 12
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    viclauyyc said:
    Nah, the Lightning connector is super very robust. There are tons of accessories out there that use them and unless you are a fumble fingered moron with giant man-hands, they hold up just fine.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 7 of 12
    It has been a long time since I followed digital photography diligently. Is there now no appreciable difference between CCD and CMOS sensors?
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 8 of 12
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    For the same price, get the Sony RX100 II. You will get a  superior camera that will wirelessly send photos to your iPhone.  The DxO camera accessory is over priced junk in comparison. 
  • Reply 9 of 12
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    viclauyyc said:
    And how robust was the old 30-pin connector.

Or USB-mini and -micro connectors, for that matter.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    There are several different WiFi SD cards out there and they all get some really bad reviews. Mostly issues with the software, problematic connections, image corruption, required monthly subscription fees, poor documentation, camera incompatibility and a host of other problems. Do your research before buying.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 11 of 12
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    It has been a long time since I followed digital photography diligently. Is there now no appreciable difference between CCD and CMOS sensors?
    According to this article:
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cameras-photography/digital/question362.htm

CCD is still better quality, but uses a lot more power and is more expensive to manufacture.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I like my Olympus Air, which is essentially a mirrorless digital camera without the screen or flash. I have a f1.7 prime, a 180º fisheye and a zoom with a 600mm equivalent tele and OIS. Works with both my iPhone and iPad. Like your setup, I can leave the images on the Air's card or I can transfer them to my devices. Only bad thing about it is the wifi is a bit wonky, so the image sometimes freezes for a few seconds at a time.