Spark developer says some users locked out of Apple IDs, blames own servers

Posted:
in iCloud
A number of users of the popular email app Spark reported being locked out of their Apple IDs overnight, something developer Readdle later linked to server upgrades it was making.

There was "no breach or data leak," the company stated early on Friday via Twitter. Instead, server upgrades intended to prepare for the upcoming Spark for Mac are thought to have potentially triggered iCloud's security algorithms, although Readdle noted that it was "working with Apple to learn more details."

Not all Spark users have been affected, but some people may still be locked out. Others have allegedly had success using a recovery or password reset.

While Apple's online platforms are often considered fairly secure, the company has had some high-profile breaches. Perhaps the most famous was the "Celebgate" incident in 2014, in which phishing schemes were used to break into the iCloud accounts of numerous celebrities such as Scarlett Johansson and Jennifer Lawrence. Recently, a second hacker plead guilty to charges.
moontechnolabs

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,049member
    An iCloud account holder, who has his/her account hacked into because he/she fell for a Phishing scam is not a breach in security on Apple part. No matter how high-profile it was.
    icoco3netmage
  • Reply 2 of 10
    jahbladejahblade Posts: 159member
    I was affected. Had to reset my password.

teaearlegreyhot
  • Reply 3 of 10
    adhiradhir Posts: 50member
    davidw said:
    An iCloud account holder, who has his/her account hacked into because he/she fell for a Phishing scam is not a breach in security on Apple part. No matter how high-profile it was.
    This.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    davidw said:
    A Toyota driver, who has had a head-on collision because she was chasing pokemon while behind the wheel, is not a breach in safety on Toyota's part.  But Toyota still provides (and recalls defective) air-bags to protect her.  No matter how distracted the driver may be.

"While Toyota's automobiles are often considered fairly safe, the company has had some high-profile breaches. Perhaps the most famous are the airbag incidents of recent years, in which numerous individuals have been injured."
  • Reply 5 of 10
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 241member
    I have 4 iCloud accounts -- 2 personal, 2 work. They were all locked out and I had to reset my passwords. I was so concerned about it I called Apple Support ready to blame them. My accounts had 2-step verification turned on so I felt secure enough. At least I have some explanation of what happened yesterday. It took over an hour to get everything right again on all of my Macs and iOS devices; a big pain in the ass.
    jahblade
  • Reply 6 of 10
    tommikeletommikele Posts: 599member
    I didn't experience any lockout and I have three iCloud accounts running via Spark. Can't wait for Spark for my Mac. I've been using it on my iPhone and iPad for a few months and I think it is vastly superior to Apple mail and any other mail app.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    davidw said:
    And AppleInsider knows this; they're just fishing for clicks. 
    netmage
  • Reply 8 of 10
    caused by Readles server... that means their server are connection on user behalf. why go for such aproach? all Apple devices are capable of fetching mails on a secure way. why risk something vital like an Apple-ID by giving the credencials to a 3re party?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,049member
    davidw said:
    A Toyota driver, who has had a head-on collision because she was chasing pokemon while behind the wheel, is not a breach in safety on Toyota's part.  But Toyota still provides (and recalls defective) air-bags to protect her.  No matter how distracted the driver may be.

"While Toyota's automobiles are often considered fairly safe, the company has had some high-profile breaches. Perhaps the most famous are the airbag incidents of recent years, in which numerous individuals have been injured."

If a Toyota driver driver crashes while chasing Pokeman (while driving) and the air bag didn't deploy because of a design problem, then there was a breach in safety on Toyota part. However, if the Toyota driver crashes while chasing Pokeman (again while driving) and the airbag did not deploy because the driver got an e-mail saying that he could increase his MPG by disconnecting the air bag, so he did, that is not a breach in safety on Toyota part. Toyota can only be expected to fix any safety issues with their autos, they can't fix stupid. 
  • Reply 10 of 10
    UtkarshUtkarsh Posts: 1member
    I don't think all third-party apps are facing this issue. For example, I'm using CloudMagic for my iCloud account and it's working seamlessly.