Only two new iPhone models shipping this fall, not three, prominent leaker claims

Posted:
in iPhone
Despite some rumors to the contrary, Apple is planning to launch just two new iPhone models this fall, just as it has done for the last two years, a well-known leak source said on Tuesday.

The new iPhone models are codenamed "Sonora" and "Dos Palos," after two towns in California, according to a Twitter post by VentureBeat reporter Evan Blass. Blass's leaks about various consumer electronics are often accurate.

While he didn't offer any more details, in a June post he argued that it was "highly unlikely" Apple would use the "iPhone 7" name. That could tie in with reports that this year's iPhones will be another interim upgrade as Apple works on more advanced technology for 2017.

On Monday, a series of photos claimed to show three different iPhone models, labeled as the "iPhone 7," "7 Plus," and "7 Pro." While the 7 and 7 Plus units were largely identical apart from size, the alleged "Pro" featured a dual-lens camera and a Smart Connector, something more commonly expected to show up on the Plus.

The authenticity of the hardware was immediately questionable however, owing not just to the Weibo source but the presence of "S" markings. Apple has never used the "S" label across two subsquent iPhone generations.

Beyond better cameras and faster processors, this year's iPhones are expected to get upgrades such as a 32-gigabyte baseline, although they may lose 3.5-millimeter headphone jacks in favor of Bluetooth and Lightning audio.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    For obvious reasons, there is no iPhone Pro.

iPhone, and iPhone Plus, are already enough for Apple to fill up and differentiate. The Plus model already is Apple's higher-speced-higher-priced model. It's already as expensive as they could get away with.

jay-tbrucemc
  • Reply 2 of 20
    mjhnlmjhnl Posts: 27member
    Still the big bezels. I hardly see any difference with what they're offering the last two and half years. Except the ugly camera bulge. I'm wondering if it will draw lines convert newcomers  :/
  • Reply 3 of 20
    mjhnl said:
    I hardly see any difference 
    You may want to get your eyes checked then.
    Oh and, you know, wait for the official product description...which is something no one has 100% yet.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 20
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    TurboPGT said:

iPhone, and iPhone Plus, are already enough for Apple to fill up and differentiate. The Plus model already is Apple's higher-speced-higher-priced model. It's already as expensive as they could get away with.

Not saying it will happen, but to dismiss because it's as "expensive as they could get away with" is certainly not true. Even if only 10% of "Plus" customers choose to spend say $100 more for a Pro model, that could conceivably improve margins, average selling price and gross sales by a significant amount. Of course, they would run the numbers, but it is a possibility.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    iPhone 6gs? 
  • Reply 6 of 20
    mike1 said:
    TurboPGT said:

Not saying it will happen, but to dismiss because it's as "expensive as they could get away with" is certainly not true. Even if only 10% of "Plus" customers choose to spend say $100 more for a Pro model, that could conceivably improve margins, average selling price and gross sales by a significant amount. Of course, they would run the numbers, but it is a possibility.
    We're already there. The Plus model is Apple's high margin, higher average selling price iPhone. And I don't believe for a second that Apple could possibly come up with enough features to differentiate 3 models.

Remember, the Plus has hardware-specific features that further set it apart from the smaller model (beyond just size), and justify its higher price. Apple would have to do that, and come up with even more to justify another Plus model (no size increase) that costs yet another $100 more. It's just not feasible.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 20
    mjhnlmjhnl Posts: 27member
    TurboPGT said:
    mjhnl said:
    Oh and, you know, wait for the official product description...which is something no one has 100% yet.
    I said 'hardly' no 'no difference'. There's nothing wrong with my eyes. The only thing I am wrong is in my expectations. They were already downgraded after watching WWDC 2016, but still too high seeing the pictures above. I hope the beauty will be on the inside, but I'm afraid to expect these days...
  • Reply 8 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mjhnl said:
    TurboPGT said:
    I said 'hardly' no 'no difference'. There's nothing wrong with my eyes. The only thing I am wrong is in my expectations. They were already downgraded after watching WWDC 2016, but still too high seeing the pictures above. I hope the beauty will be on the inside, but I'm afraid to expect these days...
    No no difference?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Any clue as to what is shipping in September 2020?
    doozydozenchazbcn
  • Reply 10 of 20
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Well, if they don't use the "7" in the name, what can they use? 6S2? Very strange.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    mjhnl said:
    Still the big bezels. I hardly see any difference with what they're offering the last two and half years. Except the ugly camera bulge. I'm wondering if it will draw lines convert newcomers  :/

I wish people would stop talking about the bulge. This is really getting annoying. Virtually every flagship camera has a camera bulge. That's just the way it is today, and just get used to it.
    TurboPGTnolamacguydoozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 20
    lmagoolmagoo Posts: 49member
    My only complaint is my pocket is simple not large enough for a Plus sized phone PLUS I don't want a Phablet....why is the larger phone the only one to get certain upgrades as they ignore the sensibly sized configuration????
  • Reply 13 of 20
    lmagoo said:
    My only complaint is my pocket is simple not large enough for a Plus sized phone PLUS I don't want a Phablet....why is the larger phone the only one to get certain upgrades as they ignore the sensibly sized configuration????
    To me, the big model is the sensibly sized version. I don't put my phones in my pocket.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 20
    lmagoo said:
    why is the larger phone the only one to get certain upgrades as they ignore the sensibly sized configuration????
    First of all they don't "Ignore" the smaller size.
    Secondly, you answered your own question...because its larger. Every additional millimeter makes new hardware features possible. Since other features are possible, and because Apple intends to charge a premium, the larger model gets unique features.

It is not complicated, mysterious, or offensive to 4.7" devices.
    edited July 2016 nolamacguydoozydozenbrucemc
  • Reply 15 of 20
    DeelronDeelron Posts: 27member
    melgross said:
    Well, if they don't use the "7" in the name, what can they use? 6S2? Very strange.
    6 SE 6 EX (yes the 12 year old inside is giggling). 6 SX Really anything works, plus visually they're different enough, it's not like glancing at the chamfer to see the difference between the 5s and the SE.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    melgross said:
    iPhone 7.
    iPhone 7 Plus.

There shouldn't be any doubt about this. The only doubt being cast is by those that seek to criticize the product (of which they know nothing about) because the mockups of said products do not look dramatically, completely, 100% different from the 6 series.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    TurboPGT said:
    mjhnl said:

To be fair, they're talking about an artist's impression based more on the current model than any real information. So it's not that surprising that they don't see much difference.

I'd give a lot more credence to these speculative designs if they looked even remotely like they'd done something more than draw bits on the current model.

• Reply 18 of 20
    I'd too hope there's no "Pro" model. That moniker would diminish the prestige of the non-Pro iPhones. Warning: these next statements come off as elitist, and there's certainly truth in that, but... The millions of users who plop down large sums of money for the status of an iPhone would be alienated. For everyone else, their regular iPhone is all of sudden a second class model, in terms of capabilities. 
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 19 of 20
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    The success of the iPhone SE shows that it's a mistake to not keep the 4" iPhones up-to-date.  Not everyone wants a phablet-sized iPhone like the 6 or 6S.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 20 of 20
    chazbcnchazbcn Posts: 26member
    So, it won't be called iPhone 7... What can Apple come up with? - iPhone 6SE? - iPhone 6s 2016? - The new iPhone 6? - iPhone 6 4.7" (and 5.5")? Anything referencing the 6 series and not "7" sounds really confusing...