Apple's limited edition Olympic Apple Watch straps feature national flag motifs, only available in

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple has created a series of woven nylon Apple Watch straps for this year's Olympics, though the limited edition bands featuring motifs representing the flags of 14 countries competing in this year's games are only available at a single store in host city Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

As noted by GQ, the Olympic Apple Watch straps will only be available for purchase at Rio de Janeiro's VillageMall Apple Store in Barra da Tijuca, a 15-minute drive from the Barra Olympic Park.

According to the publication, flag straps representing Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Great Britain, Japan, Jamaica, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, South Africa and USA will be up for sale come next month. The report includes a photo gallery showing off each version, ranging from New Zealand's all-black strap and silver retainer design, to the red, white, green, yellow, black and blue striped South Africa model.

While the straps don't go on sale until early next month, American sprinter Trayvon Brommel managed to get his hands on an early version of the Team USA iteration and tweeted a picture of the product on Thursday. Despite the somewhat busy red, white and blue pinstripe design, the strap looks at home attached to Apple's smartwatch.

For those attending the games in Rio, Apple's Olympic flag straps are priced at $49.

Apple last issued a special edition nylon strap in June when the company handed out rainbow bands to employees taking part in LGBT Pride festivals.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    They should push out the SOS function early, they'll need it in Rio. 
    tallest skilnapoleon_phoneapartfreshmakerSpamSandwichd.j. adequate
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Hope they have been imbedded with mosquito repellent 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 3 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Hope they have been imbedded with mosquito repellent 
    Water filtration, too.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 4 of 30
    No Russia strap....
    slprescott
  • Reply 5 of 30
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Yeah but he's wearing it wrong. The sensors won't work except on the TOP of the wrist....
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Great!  New watch bands for a product few people own / use.  But still nothing for MacBook Pro users / Mac Pro users / Mac Mini users.
    larryatallest skil
  • Reply 7 of 30
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Great!  New watch bands for a product few people own / use.  But still nothing for MacBook Pro users / Mac Pro users / Mac Mini users.
    Now that just comes across as needy. Not a good look. 
    macky the mackylollivertrashman69SpamSandwichai46ration al
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Not all of them actually represent the national flag though... Instead of Red-White-Blue, The Netherlands is represented with a plain orange band, which happens to be our nation's favourite color, but not our flag.... Which makes it even more cool to get my hands on one actually
    edited July 2016 patchythepirated.j. adequate
  • Reply 9 of 30
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    The countries represented are those in which Apple has retail stores.  I'm guessing there is also an Italy, Sweden, and a couple others coming, as there are a few Apple retail frontiers not represented.  But the fact they have stayed within the list of countries where they have retail outlets tells me they will roll out to stores in all those countries during, or at the open of, the Olympic Games.  
    pscooter63patchythepirateai46
  • Reply 10 of 30
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    With this crucial development of an absolutely essential piece of equipment that will help make our lives infinitely more simple and productive, I can finally lay myself to rest.
    6Sgoldfishsingularity
  • Reply 11 of 30
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    Well, I am sure the Amazon market place will soon have them for sale for a nice profits. If I were to go to Brazil for the game, that is how I would pay for the airplane tickets, the game tickets, the hotel and meals. Nice.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Great. More watchbands. #smh 
    mjhnltallest skil
  • Reply 13 of 30
    jfc1138 said:
    Yeah but he's wearing it wrong. The sensors won't work except on the TOP of the wrist....
    I think he's trying to show off the Apple Watch, strap, and tattoo at the same time. Also, I'm not sure, but I don't think it matters except for the raise to wake functionality in which case you can just tap to turn it on. Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. 
  • Reply 14 of 30
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Yes, all of the hardware engineers are sitting there designing Apple Watch Bands. Jesus christ you'll get your god damn MacBook Pro update soon.
    SpamSandwichpacificfilmai46nolamacguy
  • Reply 15 of 30
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    cnocbui said:
    But think of the profit margin, that is all that matters.  Tim realised that user experience was an aberrant thought Jobs had, probably due to the ingestion of some psychedelic, and has since put Apple back on the right path,  expensive adapters and dongles to replace every conceivable port - ka-ching!
    Hey Deutsche Bank came out with a research note this morning saying their supply chain sources say iPhone 7 will be shipping with a headphone adapter rather than lightening headphones. Watch bands and adapters...Apple's most innovative year yet!
    cnocbui
  • Reply 16 of 30
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

macxpress said:
    Yes, all of the hardware engineers are sitting there designing Apple Watch Bands. Jesus christ you'll get your god damn MacBook Pro update soon.
    Why so angry? Mac Pro and Mac Mini are way out of date and rMBP isn't exactly current either. Not surprising people are wondering where the updates are. 
    6Sgoldfishtallest skil
  • Reply 17 of 30
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    cnocbui said:
    But think of the profit margin, that is all that matters.  Tim realised that user experience was an aberrant thought Jobs had, probably due to the ingestion of some psychedelic, and has since put Apple back on the right path,  expensive adapters and dongles to replace every conceivable port - ka-ching!
    Hey Deutsche Bank came out with a research note this morning saying their supply chain sources say iPhone 7 will be shipping with a headphone adapter rather than lightening headphones. Watch bands and adapters...Apple's most innovative year yet!
    2016 - Year of the Dongle.
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 18 of 30
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    would you like some cheese with that whine?
    patchythepirateai46nolamacguyration almac fan
  • Reply 19 of 30
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I have to admit, I'd like to see what product planning meetings look like. I sort of get the image of Cook sitting there being presented updates, waving them aside as his eyes glaze over until he gets to the watch bands. They gloss over Mac and iOS product development in 15 minutes, and spend the bulk of the hour agonizing over which color combinations to offer new watch bands in ...
  • Reply 20 of 30
    No Russia strap....
    Didn't Russia decide not to go because of the health risk?