This week on AI: 'Apple Car' delayed, new iOS 10 & macOS betas, 'iPhone 7' leaks & more

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2016
While much of the week was dominated by nearly identical "iPhone 7" leaks, we did learn a little bit more about the "Apple Car," and Apple itself released a bevy of software updates, while bringing Apple Pay to more markets.

To keep up on the latest in the Apple world, download the official AppleInsider app, and subscribe to our email newsletter.

Everything you need to know:

• The Apple Car won't peel out until 2021 > >
  • New public betas of iOS 10 and macOS Sierra were released > >
  • Apple also put out iOS 9.3.3, OS X 10.11.6, tvOS 9.2.2 & watchOS 2.2.2 > >
  • There probably isn't a third "iPhone 7" model > >
  • Many leaks showed off supposed "iPhone 7" shells > >
  • Apple Pay launched in France on Monday > >
  • ...followed by Hong Kong on Tuesday > >
  • Pok?mon Go set new download records on the App Store > >

For in-depth discussion of this week's hottest stories, listen to the AppleInsider podcast. Subscribe here, or stream the embed below:

A roundup of all of our hottest stories this week:

'Apple Car' rollout reportedly delayed until 2021, owing to obstacles in 'Project Titan'

Second public betas of iOS 10, macOS Sierra now available

Apple releases finished iOS 9.3.3, OS X 10.11.6, tvOS 9.2.2 & watchOS 2.2.2 updates

Only two new iPhone models shipping this fall, not three, prominent leaker claims

New video from China compares rose gold finish in alleged 'iPhone 7' to iPhone 6s

Apple Pay expands to France with support for Mastercard and Visa cards

Apple Pay debuts in Hong Kong with American Express, Mastercard and Visa support

Apple Music shifting to iTunes Match 'acoustic fingerprinting' method of song ID

Indian PM's cabinet intervening to allow local Apple Stores - report

Pokemon Go sets Apple App Store record for launch downloads, but US growth slowing

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Talking about cars and iPhones ...   I wonder why Apple don't allow CarPlay OS to be installed on an iPhone or iPad to use as a dedicated Carplay device?  I'm sure many of us have a previous iPhone on a shelf somewhere and a vehicle without CarPlay.  Why do we have to buy a Pioneer or whatever?  Jailbroken iPhones and iPads can do this now!  BTW I'm not suggesting anyone Jailbreaks, just saying that it can be done.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 2 of 8
    djkfisherdjkfisher Posts: 131member
    Talking about cars and iPhones ...   I wonder why Apple don't allow CarPlay OS to be installed on an iPhone or iPad to use as a dedicated Carplay device?  I'm sure many of us have a previous iPhone on a shelf somewhere and a vehicle without CarPlay.  Why do we have to buy a Pioneer or whatever?  Jailbroken iPhones and iPads can do this now!  BTW I'm not suggesting anyone Jailbreaks, just saying that it can be done.
    Not sure I understand what you are saying http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/
  • Reply 3 of 8
    The illustration has antenna bands for hood openings!  LoL. 
  • Reply 4 of 8
    djkfisher said:
    Not sure I understand what you are saying http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/
    OK I'll explain, sorry if I was not clear.  Your link is to a genuine Carplay device built into cars.  I am referring to the Carplay OS being made available to run on an existing (in my example unused iPhone or iPad).  If you want to add Carplay to a car that doesn't have it already in your only option is to buy a third party add on such as Pioneer make, they are expensive.  If you were to jailbreak an iPhone and use Cydia (which I do not want to do) you can download Carplay Activator for free.  This will give you exactly what I was asking, why Apple doesn't simply have an official equivelent on the App Store that does not require jailbreaking.  Let me know if this still isn't clear.

http://cydiaplanet.com/carplay-activator-ignition-available-cydia-free/ 
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 5 of 8
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Did someone go back to the fifties and dig up a "cars of the future" catalogue to come up with that rendering? Hideous.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    robogobo said:
    Did someone go back to the fifties and dig up a "cars of the future" catalogue to come up with that rendering? Hideous.
    Maybe Apple leaked it so Samsung will be hard at work copying it.  
    edited July 2016 palomine
  • Reply 7 of 8
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,336member
    Hilarious.  No one knows if Apple is even working on a car and now we hear the car is delayed.  Imagine that.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    pbrstreetgpbrstreetg Posts: 184member
    It might be good if Apple got their house in order first before building this Apple car, such as keeping their computer hardware updated.