No charges filed in alleged gun threat involving Apple's Dr. Dre

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
On Tuesday, the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department confirmed that rapper, producer, and key Apple employee Dr. Dre was temporarily detained without charges while police investigated an alleged gun threat.

Dre -- whose real name is Andre Young -- was "searched, handcuffed, and briefly detained in a patrol car," the Sheriff's Department told Billboard. Officers arrived at his Malibu home sometime before midday on Monday, after a man called saying he'd stopped in front of the house and had a handgun pulled on him when Dre ordered him to leave.

The musician has denied brandishing a gun, and police ultimately released him, noting that they couldn't find a weapon on the scene. Officers reportedly described him as cooperative, and said he consented to being searched.

Dre has a history of run-ins with the law, including multiple battery charges and a high-speed pursuit. Such incidents date back to the 1990s however, and in recent years he has tried to not only make a break from his past but establish himself as a businessman, for instance helping to co-found Beats, which Apple acquired for $3 billion in 2014.

He is now working with Apple, though his exact role at the company is unclear. The New York Times has referred to him as a "top consultant," but apart from his hosting a show on Beats 1 radio, the company has never specified his involvement.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    Interesting.. so if you want 15 min of fame.. just stop in front of a famous dudes house.. call cops saying they threatened you.. If this had been 5 years ago, I would have believed the guy, based on Dre's past.. but lately, not so much.
    jahbladexixowelshdoglatifbpcali
  • Reply 2 of 22
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    adrayven said:
    Interesting.. so if you want 15 min of fame.. just stop in front of a famous dudes house.. call cops saying they threatened you.. If this had been 5 years ago, I would have believed the guy, based on Dre's past.. but lately, not so much.
    Objectively, the plaintiff's story is very suspicious. I would like to see this video Dre apparently took with his phone.
    xixo
  • Reply 3 of 22
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    "...they couldn't find a weapon on the scene."

If this was Tim Cook or Eddy Cue, they would have never been handcuffed while the cops sorted things out.

So a gun was never found, but a (black) man is arrested and detained based on a potentially false story.
    edited July 2016 jay-tmacky the mackywelshdogjakeblatifbpcalironnxixo[Deleted User]dysamoria
  • Reply 4 of 22
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    mtbnut said:

If this was Tim Cook or Eddy Cue, they would have never been handcuffed while the cops sorted things out.

So a gun was never found, but a (black) man is arrested and detained based on a potentially false story.
    apparently there's a history of people provoking 'incidents' with Dre so that they can initiate civil suits and extract money.

i do have to wonder, if someone called the cops and said that I threatened them with a gun on the sidewalk outside my house, what would happen?

would the police cuff me upon arrival?

would they ask to search my house?

good thing I have security cameras recording 24 hours a day all around the property. I wonder if Dre does as well...?
    jakebcali
  • Reply 5 of 22
    mtbnut said:

Are you certain? I assume there are procedures to be followed, and would imagine that someone as wealthy and high-profile as Andre would get treated by-the-books outside his own home.

It's been a very long time, but I seem to recall on the long-running series Cops people detained in cuffs of all "races" and then let go once the police determine they are not a threat to themselves or someone else.

If temporarily detaining someone while you look for an alleged weapon isn't procedure in Malibu unless you're "black," I'd be curious to know what the proper procedure is.
    gatorguyjackansi
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Replacing a turd with a turd. Classic.
    mtbnut said:

Oh, so it's because he's black... and not because he has, well you know... a history of violence and lawlessness? smh
    tallest skiljackansi
  • Reply 7 of 22
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    mtbnut said:

Tim Cook probably doesn't even own a firearm so no one would ever claim he brandished a hand gun. Who doesn't believe that Dre not only has a hand gun but probably used some arrogant language when confronted by police. The cops don't put people in handcuffs and detained in a patrol car without some suspicion. Doesn't matter what color you are, if you look like a gangster you should probably be on your best behavior when dealing with the police.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 8 of 22
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    volcan said:
    mtbnut said:

Doesn't matter what color you are, if you look like a gangster you should probably be on your best behavior when dealing with the police.
    Does Dre look like a gangster?
    edited July 2016 ronnxixodysamoria
  • Reply 9 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    welshdog said:
    If he didn't, wouldn't that hurt his brand's image?
    latifbp
  • Reply 10 of 22
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    welshdog said:
    I dunno, but all the pics I've ever seen of him he just looks like some guy. I never really noticed any particular thrust on his part to look gansgster. But I'm prolly not the target audience.
    calixixodysamoria
  • Reply 11 of 22
    welshdog said:
    Be careful, your racism is showing
    ronnxixo
  • Reply 12 of 22
    jackeebleu said:
    Be very careful, you don’t know what the words you’re using mean.
    latifbp
  • Reply 13 of 22
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    You gotta be kidding. You don't think Dr. Dre built his fame on gang life in Compton? It's just what it is. It's his brand. Good for him for transforming his hardships growing up in Compton into an empowerment movement that helps people persevere.
    edited July 2016 tallest skilxixolongpath
  • Reply 14 of 22
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    volcan said:
    mtbnut said:

Tim Cook probably doesn't even own a firearm so no one would ever claim he brandished a hand gun. Who doesn't believe that Dre not only has a hand gun but probably used some arrogant language when confronted by police. The cops don't put people in handcuffs and detained in a patrol car without some suspicion. Doesn't matter what color you are, if you look like a gangster you should probably be on your best behavior when dealing with the police.
    tim cook pays a security force to carry guns so that he never needs to handle one himself.

he likely pays someone to carry his wallet, except he probably only uses ApplePay, so then I guess he pays someone to carry his iThing, and then they pay for his stuff.

at this point, Dre can probably afford to pay someone to carry a gun etc as tim cook does, except maybe dre doesn't do that...

the rich are different, unless they started out in the 'hood

/s

(edited for clarity and sarcasm)

I think cali called it best... see below

cali said:
    Reading these comments remind me how so many people live in a box. One guy posted about the show Cops being his source of reality. Smh.

edited July 2016 tallest skildysamoria
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Creepin' down the back street on Deez
    I got my glock cocked cuz niggaz want these
    Now soon as I said it, seems I got sweated
    By some nigga with a tech 9 tryin' to take mine
    ya wanna make noise, make noise
    I make a phone call my niggaz comin' like the Gotti boys
    bodies bein' found on Greenleaf
    with their fuckin heads cut off, motherfucker i'm Dre
    Let's jump in off in Compton so I gots ta get my loot on
    and come up on me some furniture or sometin
    Got a VCR
    in the back of my car
    that I ganked from the Slauson Swap Meet
    And motherfuckers better not try to stop me
    Cuz they will see that I can't be stopped
    Cuz I'ma cock my Glock and pop til they all drop 
    And if your bitches talk shit, I have ta' put the smack down
    I guess that's what I get (for what)
    For trying to jack them little homies for they bread 
    You want a stairway to heaven?
    Just put my finger on the trigger and pull back
    And lay a punk motherfucker flat.
    As he wonder what popped before he got popped,
    I told you I was Dre and you know it don't stop.
    Yeah, I break some off. I break some off.
    Yeah, I break some off.
    But I ain't speakin' about between the thighs.
    I'm talkin' about cockin' a guage in between your eyes.
    That'll make you drop to your knees, 'cause you realise
    That a gat will make any nigga civilised.
    And if motherfuckers come at me wrong
    I straight put my 44 Desert Eagle to his motherfucking dome.
    And show him why they call me the notorious one.
    The name is Dre, Eastwood when I'm packin' a gun.
    You don't believe me, wanna step up and give it a try.
    And if you die you's a buster 'cause real niggas don't die.

There may very well be more examples than this, but I’ve just spent time reading over some nigh incomprehensible “lyrics” and I wasn’t exactly raised in the hood, so forgive me if I missed any references to crime that were hidden in the wiggidy-wizzack. I’m not sure what “floss you like a motherfucker” would mean, for example.

Now… a kid writes this for a poetry assignment in school and who gets called on him? Probably not the parents, since the school system wants to remove them from the equation entirely (“it takes a village”, you see), so… ah, yes, the police. Because such content is indicative of the potential for a threat.

Then again, who knows these days. The police might not be called unless the kid is of a certain color, because it would be “racist” to try to “stifle” expression of “culture”…

Oh, and this is just his first album. I’m not going to bother with more; the point is made. Though I will quote the beginning of his newest work.

…the problems of crime and growing welfare which is slowing turning suburban Compton into an extension of the black intercity  Crime is now as high as the ghetto. 47 homicides last year gave Compton one of the highest per capital rates in the country. Juvenile gang activity, muggings, small robberies make some blacks want to leave.
    Gee, I can’t imagine why. Almost as though the last 50 or so years has been built around making “culture” into anything that “whitey” isn’t doing or something.
    latifbp
  • Reply 16 of 22
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Reading these comments remind me how so many people live in a box. One guy posted about the show Cops being his source of reality. Smh.
    ronnxixo[Deleted User]dysamoria
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Replacing a turd with a turd. Classic.
    mtbnut said:

Oh, so it's because he's black... and not because he has, well you know... a history of violence and lawlessness? smh
    Aren't you supposed to be innocent until proven guilty? The article even states most of his previous were in the 90s, 20+ years ago!

Surely the police could assume someone of his status would have CCTV and they could request to view this calmly without having to detain anyone in handcuffs. Then again, what I see on the news of american police from this side of the pond is that there is a complete lack of common sense sometimes.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    adm1 said:
    Replacing a turd with a turd. Classic. Oh, so it's because he's black... and not because he has, well you know... a history of violence and lawlessness? smh
    Aren't you supposed to be innocent until proven guilty?
    That phrase get overused and used in a variety of incorrect ways. Cops are not a court of law. Are you really suggesting that police never detain anyone or do a search until there is a trial that finds an individual guilty? That would make absolutely no sense.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Yeah so people disliked my post, whatever. I'm fed up with the media and their coverage of BLM.  The facts are that 90% of homicides are committed by blacks against blacks. Blacks make up about 20% of the population and commit more than 75% of violent crimes. Give us break! Blacks need to change their own culture not blame the police. Police are justifiably suspious of black males because they are statically more liklely to be criminals. If you are a law abiding black citizen you unfortunately are paying a black tax because your cultural reputation is less than favorable. That is a black community issue not a police bias problem.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 20 of 22
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    volcan said:
    Yeah so people disliked my post, whatever. I'm fed up with the media and their coverage of BLM.  The facts are that 90% of homicides are committed by blacks against blacks. Blacks make up about 20% of the population and commit more than 75% of violent crimes. Give us break! Blacks need to change their own culture not blame the police. Police are justifiably suspious of black males because they are statically more liklely to be criminals. If you are a law abiding black citizen you unfortunately are paying a black tax because your cultural reputation is less than favorable. That is a black community issue not a police bias problem.
    "Black culture" is not the cause of crime. Being ghettoized by economic racism ("American culture") is. 

http://m.motherjones.com/environment/2016/02/flint-lead-poisoning-america-toxic-crisis
    edited July 2016 latifbp