Rumor: Apple to adopt USB Type-C in another upcoming MacBook, whether it's Pro or Air

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited July 2016
A new supply chain rumor suggests that Apple will bring USB Type-C ports from its 12-inch MacBook to another notebook in the lineup. The most likely candidate: the MacBook Pro. Here's why.

Hit-or-miss publication DigiTimes reported on Wednesday that Apple will adopt USB Type-C ports for "its MacBook Air." The publication frequently has inside information on upcoming supply chain maneuverings, but gets elements like timing --?and, likely in this case, product names -- incorrect on a frequent basis.

While the report suggests Apple will revamp its low-end MacBook Air, it's instead more likely that USB Type-C ports will be coming to the company's long-in-tooth MacBook Pro, which is due for both an update and a redesign.

In Apple's seemingly never-ending quest for thinness, it's expected that the next-generation MacBook Pro will be both thinner and lighter than current models. In seeing bits and pieces of a more portable MacBook Pro, it's possible that supply chain insiders simply assume the new ultraportable notebook will instead be branded as a next-generation MacBook Air.

However, the MacBook Air hasn't seen a significant update in years, it continues to feature a low-resolution non-Retina display, and its role in Apple's lineup has been severely diminished by the 12-inch MacBook.

It's expected that rather than updating the MacBook Air, Apple will simply let it fade out of the lineup. Keeping it around with outdated specifications allows Apple to hit lower-than-ever notebook price points --?the entry-level 11-inch model retails for $899, but can be bought for as low as $770 new from some resellers.

Apple's 2016 MacBook Pro, meanwhile, is rumored to see a complete redesign, featuring USB Type-C ports with speedy Thunderbolt 3 support. It's also rumored to feature an OLED touch bar to replace the row of function keys, and Touch ID integration for secure login --?claims that have been supported by leaked parts.

A chassis that surfaced in May showed a thinner-than-ever MacBook Pro design with four USB Type-C ports and no MagSafe, suggesting that the device could offer both power and data through USB much like the 12-inch MacBook.

Of course, it's inevitable that the MacBook Pro will adopt the new USB standard already featured by Apple in its smallest MacBook, but it's believed that the transition for the flagship notebook will take place soon -- this fall.

Rumors have pegged the new MacBook Pro for a fourth-quarter launch, which would indicate the notebooks are likely to be available no later than November. Anytime after that and Apple would miss out on the start of the lucrative holiday shopping season.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Wouldn't this only be a story if Apple wasn't adding USB-C to future Macs?
    ration altallest skil
  • Reply 2 of 61
    At this point it could have RJ-11 jacks for all I care, just release a pro ASAP. Some of us have kids to send to college, and I am not buying a 500 day old machine for my daughters first day of astrophysics and programming. Come on Apple.
    schlacknewtonrjEric_WVGGelijahgtallguytallest skil
  • Reply 3 of 61
    Stop this quest for thinness Apple. There are more important things that we consider as USP's for our next purchase of PRO laptops.

Magsafe is a great differenciator from the Bog Standard Windows Laptops.
    Give me back an RJ45 port.
    Ok, give me USB-C but keep at least one USB3 port and at least one Thundebolt 2 port.

Why all this?

We hate having to carry around frigging adapters everywhere we go.

A 4K screen sould be nice as would 32Gb RAM and 2TB of storage.
    Not all of us are in places that are connected to the internet all the time.
    Four nights in the Nevada desert with only the stars for company and a Sat Phone brought that home with a bang.

baconstangmdriftmeyerelijahgtallguy
  • Reply 4 of 61
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    I don't see them propping up the bottom before addressing the top. Far more likely this refers to a MacBook Pro.

baconstangtallguy
  • Reply 5 of 61
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member

Loss of MagSafe is a huge loss and surprising. Couldn't they have created a magnetic USB-C nub that would fit into a USB-C port and allow a magnetic cable to connect to it?
    baconstangtallguyration al
  • Reply 6 of 61
    newtonrjnewtonrj Posts: 25member
    At this point it could have RJ-11 jacks for all I care, just release a pro ASAP. Some of us have kids to send to college, and I am not buying a 500 day old machine for my daughters first day of astrophysics and programming. Come on Apple.
    Yeah, same thing here. But in this case, we did buy the 13" 3.1Ghz/0.5Tb/16Gb MacPro. She is delighted at the speed over her old 11" MacAir so until there is a difference, she is using it. BTW, she didn't like the shorter key-travel of the Macbook and the dongle to get USB. And she really liked the MagSafe over USB-C power. So for now, she is happy toting a brick-weight around. We'll see in a few months. . . -RJ
    baconstangtallguy
  • Reply 7 of 61
    Apple does not have a quest for thinness, they have a quest for weight reduction. Thinness is a side effect, not the goal. 
    nolamacguyRayz2016williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 61
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    Apple does not have a quest for thinness, they have a quest for weight reduction. Thinness is a side effect, not the goal. 
    Another way to put it is thinness is the best way to control weight. If the internal volume of the device is required to be no more than 12 mm, it limits how much stuff can be put in it and therefore limits mass. If the design team designs around a set of features without that thickness requirement, it can rapidly make the device thicker and heavier as it is natural to try to grant everyone's desires.
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 9 of 61
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    schlack said:

Loss of MagSafe is a huge loss and surprising. Couldn't they have created a magnetic USB-C nub that would fit into a USB-C port and allow a magnetic cable to connect to it?
    How would that work? Have you looked at MagSafe? How many pins does it contain? What do those pins do? How many pins are used in USB-C? What affects would a magnet have on the data transfer? What kind of shielded would be needed? How would this affect the design of the USB-C cable? Would it still be a standard, universal cable?

Let's keep in mind that when MagSafe was first introduced the standard power connector went deep into your device for a plug and the usage time on battery was rated at less than 50% what is possible on today's MacBook, which has a considerably more rigorous testing methodology than what Apple used a decade prior. Would be nice? Sure, but it's not the deal-breaker you make it out to be, especially when you're trying to mash it up into a data+power cable, instead of just a power cable.

Also keep in mind that Apple has been thinking about this a lot longer than you and I have. They even have a patent that would use the reversible MagSafe connector with its 4 pins (do you know there are 4 instead of 2?) with the very center being a fiber optic cable.

edited July 2016 nolamacguyai46pscooter63
  • Reply 10 of 61
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    You can't run power and ethernet on the 12 inch Macbook AT THE SAME TIME -- and Apple doesn't even make an adaptor that allows one to do this -- , so it is pretty useless machine if you want your computer connected, say in the kitchen, or on your desk.  One is better off with the 13inch Macbook Air which allows for Ethernet and power at the same time ... these are the basics of computing ... especially if you don't want to needlessly radiate your brain with wi-fi radiation.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Soli said:
    Yeah that is what I've been thinking.    Read the headline and said no fooling.  

As as for the Mac Book Air/Pro discussion I don't get it really.   Apple needs the Air due to the crippled nature of the Mac Book and its high costs.   If there is any sense left with the management team at Apple they will come out with a new Mac Book Air and do so at a lower price point.  
    Soli
  • Reply 12 of 61
    TurboPGT said:
    I don't see them propping up the bottom before addressing the top. Far more likely this refers to a MacBook Pro.

I would expect all of Apples machines to transition to USB-C. The only real question is do we have legacy port support or not.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    i really don't understand all the MBP hate. I'm a professional dev, running a Windows virtual machine running SQL Server and Visual Studio on my 2014 rMBP -- works great. flies. I don't experience any slowdowns or build problems or anything. even do some 3D renders for box shots. 

your kid won't have any problems coding on whatever rMBP you get her. 
    baconstangfastasleepration alpscooter63williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 61
    wozwoz said:
    You can't run power and ethernet on the 12 inch Macbook AT THE SAME TIME -- and Apple doesn't even make an adaptor that allows one to do this -- , so it is pretty useless machine if you want your computer connected, say in the kitchen, or on your desk.  One is better off with the 13inch Macbook Air which allows for Ethernet and power at the same time ... these are the basics of computing ... especially if you don't want to needlessly radiate your brain with wi-fi radiation.
    I've seen companies spend several $100,000 on WiFi and still not have a reliable system in place. People that think wired Ethernet is outdated just haven't been out in the real world very long.
    wozwoz
  • Reply 15 of 61

Stop this quest for thinness Apple. There are more important things that we consider as USP's for our next purchase of PRO laptops.

Give me back an RJ45 port.
    Ok, give me USB-C but keep at least one USB3 port and at least one Thundebolt 2 port.

Why all this?

We hate having to carry around frigging adapters everywhere we go.

A 4K screen sould be nice as would 32Gb RAM and 2TB of storage.
    Not all of us are in places that are connected to the internet all the time.
    Four nights in the Nevada desert with only the stars for company and a Sat Phone brought that home with a bang.

I have no desire for an Ethernet port and prefer the lightness. you carry an adapter. 
    patchythepiratewilliamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 61

wozwoz said:
    1) sounds like an ultra portable isn't the appropriate choice for your desktop use case. 

2) wifi brain radiation? you're grasping at straws now, buddy. 
    tmaychiaration alpscooter63williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 61
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    wizard69 said:
    Soli said:
    Yeah that is what I've been thinking.    Read the headline and said no fooling.  

As as for the Mac Book Air/Pro discussion I don't get it really.   Apple needs the Air due to the crippled nature of the Mac Book and its high costs.   If there is any sense left with the management team at Apple they will come out with a new Mac Book Air and do so at a lower price point.  
    This makes no sense. Updating the Air line is stupid. The only reason for the Air right now is to meet an entry level price point. If anything needs updating its the Retina MacBook Pro and the Mac mini.
    tallguy
  • Reply 18 of 61
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Just about time tht Apple releases devices with all latest ports (Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1 Type-C, reversible, generation 2 and SDXC with extra pins to support maximum read/write speed (300 MB/s). All these delays are blocking third-party manufacturers of external SSD hard disks, for instance.
    tallguyration al
  • Reply 19 of 61
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    schlack said:

Griffin makes one. It leaves an obnoxious "stump" sticking out of the computer, but I imagine one could put the breakaway side on the charger instead. https://griffintechnology.com/us/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable

How would that work? Have you looked at MagSafe? How many pins does it contain? What do those pins do? How many pins are used in USB-C? What affects would a magnet have on the data transfer? What kind of shielded would be needed? How would this affect the design of the USB-C cable? Would it still be a standard, universal cable?

Since the connector would be strictly for power and not carry data, it only needs three leads for positive, negative, and ground, 5 to make it reversible (like Magsafe)
    edited July 2016 ration al
  • Reply 20 of 61
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    … these guys are already shipping similar devices with a much smaller "stub" for Micro-USB and Lightning, a USB-C looks inevitable

https://www.znaps.net
    ration al