Hyundai adds Apple CarPlay to 2017 Sonata & Tucson

Posted:
in iPhone
Two more 2017-model vehicles -- the Sonata sedan and Tucson SUV -- will be Hyundai's latest to gain support for Apple CarPlay, as well as Google's Android Auto.

The 2017 Tucson interior.
The 2017 Tucson interior.

Drivers of either vehicle should be able to use those platforms on displays up to 8 inches, but only as an upgrade option, Hyundai indicated. The Tucson comes with a 5-inch display by default, but it's not clear if CarPlay will connect to it without an upgrade. Regardless, only the SUV's Limited editions will offer support.

The Tucson is now available for prices starting at $22,700, though the Limited line costs a minimum of $29,775. The Sonata doesn't yet have a release date but will begin at $21,600.

While it has sometimes lagged behind, Hyundai has ultimately become one of the more aggressive backers of CarPlay. In May it announced software updates for various 2015 and 2016 models, whereas some carmakers have chosen to ignore retroactive support.

Apple is planning significant enhancements to CarPlay with this fall's iOS 10, such as the ability to hide or rearrange homescreen icons, and an automatic parking marker when an iPhone disconnects from a car.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Come on, Subaru! Get CarPlay on the damn Forester. And make retro to 2016 at least. 
  • Reply 2 of 8
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    It seems if you like a vehicles from A auto manufacturer such as Toyota, send your complains directly to their marketing or whoever top public relations contacts. Tell them I was about to by your so and so model but it still does not support CarPlay, So, decided to go with your competitor. Sorry, will consider you in future when such feature is available on your models.
    edited July 2016 badmonk
  • Reply 3 of 8
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    wood1208 said:
    It seems if you like a vehicles from A auto manufacturer such as Toyota, send your complains directly to their marketing or whoever top public relations contacts. Tell them I was about to by your so and so model but it still does not support CarPlay, So, decided to go with your competitor. Sorry, will consider you in future when such feature is available on your models.
    I don't think the general public is even aware of CarPlay or Android Auto so a couple tech savvy users complaining is not going to create some marketing meltdown at Toyota. Everyone expects their phone to connect to the car's media system for phone calls and perhaps their playlist but that is about it and most people don't want to pay several thousand dollars more to get the high end package, especially if they are in the market for an economy car.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 4 of 8
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    volcan said:
    wood1208 said:
    I don't think the general public is even aware of CarPlay or Android Auto so a couple tech savvy users complaining is not going to create some marketing meltdown at Toyota. Everyone expects their phone to connect to the car's media system for phone calls and perhaps their playlist but that is about it and most people don't want to pay several thousand dollars more to get the high end package, especially if they are in the market for an economy car.
    I agree with your comment about common people typically way behind future. But, honestly, no car manufacturers can escape to provide(sooner or later) phone connectivity to car/infotainment system. That is the future for car and those who realize sooner will benefit over those who don't. I rather have Apple or Google map from my iPhone(constantly being updated) than provided with Car infotainment system.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    wood1208 said:
    I rather have Apple or Google map from my iPhone(constantly being updated) than provided with Car infotainment system.
    Depends on your data plan. You can eat up a lot of data very quickly. I have a nav-system in both of my autos and I always insist on having nav in my rental cars when traveling, but you are right about the updates. I have to pay to update and you need it almost every year in LA because they are moving the off ramps all the time to accommodate increased traffic. That said, maps on mobile devices are not always up to date either. 
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 6 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    It seems like only yesterday that Microsoft's in car entertainment system was gong to wipe the floor with Apple's.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I can't imagine it was Apple's intention for the carmakers to charge extra for CarPlay.
    Also, the carmakers tend to make no mention of CarPlay being supported or not.
    Each one of them may indicate that it is, using its own vague terminology, so as to keep the confusion alive.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 8 of 8
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    Though it is not perfect, i love the aftermarket Alpine ILX-007 that i installed in my 1998 Outback.  I would absolutely decide not to buy a certain model of a car if it lacked this option.  With the low margins of the big automakers, they will come around once they know that this is happening.

on the otherhand, the longer they delay the more $2000 navigation and entertainment systems they can sell.