Questionable parts leak revives claims of space black 'iPhone 7'

Posted:
in iPhone
A pair of photos released over the weekend show an alleged mute button for Apple's upcoming "iPhone 7," possibly reinforcing claims that Apple will offer the device in Space Black, or at least a darker shade of Space Gray.

The source of the images didn't offer more information, except to say that the part comes from the same company supplying SIM slots for the new iPhone. Various reports have hinted that Apple might change up its colors this year, although others have suggested Apple will keep its range intact.

A Space Black iPhone would further mirror the color options available to Apple Watch buyers, following the addition of Rose Gold with the iPhone 6s. Apple's colors are increasingly consistent across its product lines, with equivalents on 12-inch MacBooks and Beats headphones.

Apple, however, hasn't sold a black iPhone since the iPhone 5. Indeed the company is thought to have transitioned to Space Gray for the iPhone 5s because of the difficulty in applying black coating.

A new color could add slightly more appeal to the "iPhone 7," expected this September. Although the "7 Plus" may have a dual-lens camera and a Smart Connector, the regular model is predicted to be a modest upgrade with a faster processor, a better single-lens camera, and some other design tweaks, along with a higher 32 gigabytes of default storage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    super-black carbon-nanotube coating would be cool, like NASA uses :)
    doozydozenDeelrongoodbyeranch
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Yes Please! MacBooks too! Space black everything!
    TurboPGTDeelronredgeminipa
  • Reply 3 of 15
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Yesssss!!!!!!!

I'd like a Space Black DLC-coated iPhone "7 Plus" please.
    (I know.  Probably too much to ask.)
    edited August 2016 TurboPGTDeelron
  • Reply 4 of 15
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,010member
    Apparently the spy snuck the part out in their undershorts, as evidenced by the adjacent pubic hair...
    doozydozengoodbyeranchredgeminipa
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I'd too would like this color option, BUT I'm skeptical because the iPhone 5 scratched too easily, exposing the raw metal beneath the black finish. After 6 months of protective ownership my iP5 looked as if it traveled across the Arabian desert dragged behind a migrating gazelle. Since Apple switched to Space Gray, my iPhones never again experienced such heavy wear. Hopefully Apple has adopted a new method for a more rugged black finish.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 6 of 15
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    A lot of people are interested in a black iPhone. Apple has been adding a new color or finish of some kind every year. This is the first part leak to corroborate the black color rumor.
    I'd say likelihood is high. It will go a long way to offset the lack of other dramatic physical changes that are apparently necessary to keep dopamine levels up.
    doozydozengoodbyeranch
  • Reply 7 of 15
    TurboPGT said:
    ...I'd say likelihood is high...
    Would you postulate that Space Black will replace Space Grey entirely, or will Space Black be added to the existing line of color options? 
  • Reply 8 of 15
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member

I hope it will be Dark/Pitch gloss or semi gloss black.. To make the front and back look almost the same..
    Pure Monolithic look.
    I called for this when iphone 6 first came out.. Actually i was surprized that was not an available option.. Wrote Apple… etc,..

I want one yesterday Apple !

• Reply 9 of 15
    oooooh aaaaah
  • Reply 10 of 15
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

I hope it will be Dark/Pitch gloss or semi gloss black.. To make the front and back look almost the same..
    Pure Monolithic look.

Yeah, but they can't really make a useable phone with dimensions in a 1:4:9 ratio.

Still want a phone case that says "I'm only carrying a Space Grey iPhone until they make a darker colour."

• Reply 11 of 15
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    A super-black carbon-nanotube coating would be cool, like NASA uses :)
    Nanomaterials can't be used like that...yet. 
    Some of them are cancerogenic due to fine structures (nanotubes) presence. 
    goodbyeranch
  • Reply 12 of 15
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    A super-black carbon-nanotube coating would be cool, like NASA uses :)
    Nanomaterials can't be used like that...yet. 
    Some of them are cancerogenic due to fine structures (nanotubes) presence. 
    I know, but it would definitely be cool. I would love to own a phone with near 100% absorption.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    All Apple needs to do is release the damn phone with different colors to differentiate from 6/6S, and I bet it'll be a hit again. Let's say cobalt blue or space black on Black screen, Gold on Black, Rose Gold and Silver on White.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Wow!  Satin black would do it for me to upgrade again!  Never happen, dull black would be too cool for Apple to release!  The light blue is enticing but not as appealing as a satin dull black metal iPhone 7!
  • Reply 15 of 15
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    TurboPGT said:
    ...I'd say likelihood is high...
    Would you postulate that Space Black will replace Space Grey entirely, or will Space Black be added to the existing line of color options? 
    I certainly hope it adds to the lineup, not replaces, or launch inventory is going to be tricky.