Apple adds 100 emoji to latest iOS 10 beta, promotes diversity and gender equality

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple's latest iOS 10 developer beta includes more than 100 new emoji for inclusion in chats and messages, with a number of characters having both male and female options available for the first time.

The latest developer preview of iOS 10 includes Unicode modifications that were decided in June and introduced in July. The additions include both male and female options for previously gender-limited activities like the haircut and massage emoji.

Also added to the list are female athletes, a rainbow flag, a replacement for the controversial gun icon for a colorful water pistol, and more family options. Apple notes that it is working with the Unicode Consortium to "reflect the diversity of people everywhere."

The shift to the full set of icons approved by the Unicode Committee is not yet complete, as some emoji implemented have yet to be included.

The new emoji are for Apple's Messages, which is in the midst of an overhaul for the iOS 10 update. Expected changes include emoji-related enhancements, links with images embedded into chats, and dynamic text bubbles. Changes to emoji presentation including predictive recommendations, and presentation up to three times larger than in previous version of iOS.

doozydozen

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    So they promote a thing that doesn’t exist. Got it.

You knew exactly what you were doing when you wrote this; don’t be surprised at any comments.
    edited August 2016 Sweden is dead thanx to "diversity"elijahg
  • Reply 2 of 81
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Bout time they had more female emojis. 
    nolamacguyafrodridoozydozencrowleyiosenthusiastbyronl
  • Reply 3 of 81
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Way too much. Remove the least used emojis.
    thewhitefalcondoozydozenelijahgbeef
  • Reply 4 of 81
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    What a waste of time. Some people's priorities are so screwed up and so deranged, that this is what they choose to waste their time on.

Also, for the sake of diversity, they need to add various pieces of feces floating around in the water with that swimmer, and a dead body too, because that's what's happening in the Olympics.
    thewhitefalconmonstrosityelijahgbeefgtrjeffharris
  • Reply 5 of 81
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member
    Well, I can hardly say I'm surprised at the comments on here already. Diversity exists, get over it. Women can ride bicycles, they can swim, surf and run. Why is this such an issue for you?!

Oh, is it because there's a rainbow flag in there? I see. You're annoyed that a chunk of the population who relate to that flag are now being included in your small world. Well, tough.
    nolamacguyai46minicoffeeafrodricrowleydoozydozencnocbuifastasleepstourquesingularity
  • Reply 6 of 81
    joogabahjoogabah Posts: 139member
    Notice the diversity in the featured shots is about female athleticism.  This was restricted to males in the past because the social gain is the production of soldier material which is antithetical to what is needed for mothers.  Gender exists to maximize the production of soldiers and mothers who, when married, combine in a paradoxical relationship in order to produce more of the same.  That some people come out "wrong" is what transgender tries to correct with surgery and what classical gay liberation and radical feminism try to correct by abolishing the unfreedoms of marriage and the military (something the counter-revolution got "gay" people to actually fight for).  

It's your labor power, people.  That's what they want, in order to grow capital.  Everything else is some sort of derivative off of that purpose.  Capitalism oversupplies and then negates what is necessary.  Looking at social trends, we are filled to capacity with socially necessary mothers and soldiers, and so now we can be gay.  But homosexual desire was universal at all times anyway.  The real divide was only where you ended up after growing up in a propaganda machine trying to extract value from your activity.
    baconstang
  • Reply 7 of 81
    It'll be fun when people in 100 years or so look back at our time. They'll probably be furious to see how we squandered our freedom. 
    oirudleahcimtechprod1gymonstrositySpamSandwichelijahgtallest skil
  • Reply 8 of 81
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    It'll be fun when people in 100 years or so look back at our time. They'll probably be furious to see how we squandered our freedom. 
    no, they'll just laugh at all the dead white guys who were so frightened about...well, everything. 
    edited August 2016 oirudleahcimminicoffeelarryacrowleydoozydozenfastasleepstourquemattinozsingularitywilliamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 81
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    darkpaw said:
    Well, I can hardly say I'm surprised at the comments on here already. Diversity exists, get over it. Women can ride bicycles, they can swim, surf and run. Why is this such an issue for you?!

Oh, is it because there's a rainbow flag in there? I see. You're annoyed that a chunk of the population who relate to that flag are now being included in your small world. Well, tough.
    exactly... steve jobs would be ashamed to have them as apple customers. they dont represent apple's values whatsoever.

me, i think its great we see occupational emoji in both genders. why not have female cops and weightlifters? i know them in real life, why not in emoji?

insecure men are such a gas.
    edited August 2016 crowleydoozydozenfastasleepRayz2016singularitywaverboybaconstangtopper24hoursiosenthusiastbyronl
  • Reply 10 of 81
    ncil49ncil49 Posts: 30member
    no, they'll just laugh at all the dead white guys who were so frightened about...well, everything. 
    More trashing white men.  How very tolerant and enlightened.  If,for example, it weren't for the 99 percent of dead white men on the Allied side in WW 2 this topic wouldn't exist and we would all be enslaved by really bad white men.  

As long as apple is still engaged in serious computing and design I really don't care if they produce a rainbow colored IPhone (which they will) and everything PC thing under the sun.  Good for the advancement of the ecosystem.  You see most white men tolerate this PC stuff quite well.....for various reasons.

monstrosityelijahgmacseekerjeffharris
  • Reply 11 of 81
    I'm furious knowing that in 100 years time people will still believe they are free. The majority of "people" are captives of socioeconomic manipulation which is designed to encourage squandering.
    doozydozenbaconstangbyronl
  • Reply 12 of 81

ncil49 said:
    More trashing white men.  How very tolerant and enlightened.  If, for example, it weren't for the 99 percent of dead white men on the Allied side in WW 2 this topic wouldn't exist...

ncil49 said:
    More trashing white men.  How very tolerant and enlightened.  If,for example, it weren't for the 99 percent of dead white men on the Allied side in WW 2 this topic wouldn't exist and we would all be enslaved by really bad white men.  

If all those dead white men had not had legions of oppressed black men pressed into labouring the supply of endless tons of ordnance rather than fighting (don't give them guns!) then what do you suppose the majority skin colour of the beached corpses would have been? The USA had learned by Vietnam that sending greater numbers of 19 year old black's and hispanic's into combat was more socially acceptable than the loss of white teenagers.

White men have earned their trashing.
    edited August 2016 doozydozencnocbuifastasleepmessagepad2100baconstangiosenthusiast
  • Reply 13 of 81
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Aren't you "white" (whatever "white" means)?
    edited August 2016 elijahg
  • Reply 14 of 81
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I'm furious knowing that in 100 years time people will still believe they are free. The majority of "people" are captives of socioeconomic manipulation which is designed to encourage squandering.
    The so-called Founding Fathers would be shocked at what has happened to their experiment. The US is besieged with a majority holding collectivists beliefs which are antithetical to individualism and liberty.
    edited August 2016 macseekertallest skilmike1redraider11
  • Reply 15 of 81
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Well that's a lovely news story turned into an absolute crudhole in the space of one reply.  Congratulations AI.
    doozydozenfastasleepbestkeptsecretsingularityiosenthusiast
  • Reply 16 of 81
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    apple ][ said:
    What a waste of time. Some people's priorities are so screwed up and so deranged, that this is what they choose to waste their time on.

I'm amazed you think this was a waste of time. I'm guessing it didn't involve much effort at all, and builds a lot of goodwill in the community. It's a relatively small investment of resources. It's not like they had to take programmers or engineers away from making the next version of iOS or the new MacBook Pros to do it.
    doozydozenfastasleepwilliamlondonmessagepad2100iosenthusiast
  • Reply 17 of 81
    It's wild how much hatred is espoused whenever Apple updates the emoji set. And before commenters scream about the perceived trivialness of emojis, just take a moment for the facts to seep through your thick skulls: Emoji are now used in around half of every sentence across social media. Emoji are an emerging language that could soon compete with English in global usage. Emojis are the fastest growing language, in terms of usage, in all of recorded history. 

Pausing for a moment...
    Ok, with that said, does it not make sense to make this global, emerging language as useable as possible? This means to strive for inclusion of all people whom have access to the language. Also, it's reasonable to include ethical standards for the Unicode Consortium to correct the language when certain characters, like the gun emoji, have been used widespread as an emoji of hate. Changing it to a water pistol will hopefully curb its popular, prior usage as a means to threaten people.

Some of you here on AI get way too mad over the simplest things.
    edited August 2016 fastasleepRayz2016dementuschikaniosenthusiast
  • Reply 18 of 81
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    It's wild how much hatred is espoused whenever Apple updates the emoji set. And before commenters scream about the perceived trivialness of emojis, just take a moment for the facts to seep through your thick skulls: Emoji are now used in around half of every sentence across social media. Emoji are an emerging language that could soon compete with English in global usage. Emojis are the fastest growing language, in terms of usage, in all of recorded history. 

Pausing for a moment...
    Ok, with that said, does it not make sense to make this global, emerging language as usual as possible? This means to strive to have inclusion of all people whom have access to the language. Also, it's reasonable to include ethical standards for the Unicode Consortium to correct the language when certain characters, like the gun emoji, have been used widespread as an emoji of hate. Changing it to a water pistol will hopefully curb its popular, prior usage as a means to threaten people.

Some of you here on AI get way too mad over the simplest to understand things.
    Emojis will be competing head to head with English just after Kanye West receives a Nobel Prize for.... well, anything.
    singularitymike1
  • Reply 19 of 81
    beefbeef Posts: 4member
    darkpaw said:

Apple needs to stop pandering to SJWs and get make to making great products.   People with sexual and gender disabilities will get along just fine without emojis.   Oh, and nice faux indignation. 
    thewhitefalcontallest skilphibo
  • Reply 20 of 81
    ncil49ncil49 Posts: 30member

ncil49 said:
    More trashing white men.  How very tolerant and enlightened.  If, for example, it weren't for the 99 percent of dead white men on the Allied side in WW 2 this topic wouldn't exist...

If all those dead white men had not had legions of oppressed black men pressed into labouring the supply of endless tons of ordnance rather than fighting (don't give them guns!) then what do you suppose the majority skin colour of the beached corpses would have been? The USA had learned by Vietnam that sending greater numbers of 19 year old black's and hispanic's into combat was more socially acceptable than the loss of white teenagers.

White men have earned their trashing.
    Let's see. The facts are 2/3 of Vietnam soldiers were volunteers and 86 percent killed were white.  I don't think your generation has the intelligence to parse truth and fantasy.  And everyone was pressed into labor during ww2.

for the past 10 thousand years every race deserves trashing. Nothing like African blacks with their machetes killing about a million of their neighbors in the 90s.  Japanese, Chinese, Central America and let's not forget about the current trash in the Middle East.  It never ends. Everybody has earned their trashing.  

Again. It's cool and acceptable to bash whites.  I understand.  

And its its a class thing and intelligence thing now. Race is incidental.  I could go on from Jews at 125 to African blacks at 75 but that is certainly out of bounds.  Love the minority racists and apologetic whites with 1000 excuses.

Now long live Apple and the serfdom it creates among many.

thewhitefalcontallest skilmike1gtr