Former Apple PR executive Natalie Kerris leaves Twitter after six months

Posted:
in General Discussion
Ex-Apple public relations maven Natalie Kerris is departing her position as the vice president of communications of microblogging service Twitter after only six months in the role, for unknown reasons.

"During her time leading communications at Twitter, Natalie helped us share the Twitter story with the world," the social networking service said in a statement, confirming Kerris' departure. "We are grateful for her energy and enthusiasm and the impact she's had, even in this short time."

Twitter has come under fire for how it handles harassment on the platform. A general hands-off corporate approach to handling abusive users appears to be just now tightening up, with the permanent ban handed out to frequent terms of service violator Milo Yiannopoulos.

The service has only recently loosened requirements on how users can create a verified account, which adds extra safeguards against account theft by assailants.

Shortly after Steve Dowling was named as Apple's head of public relations, Kerris retired from Apple in April 2015, after 14 years of service. She had overseen PR efforts for iPhones, iPods, iPads, iTunes, and the MacBook Air, and assisted on Apple Pay and Apple Watch efforts.

Kerris was hired in February by Twitter, after founder Jack Dorsey's return to the company. Dorsey re-staffed the company after an exodus of key management positions in engineering, human resources, and media.

In the wake of Kerris' departure, Twitter's chief marketing officer Leslie Berland will lead both communications and marketing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Interesting and I know it's supposed to be about her, but I just couldn't take my eyes off Steve in the background. Such a simple genuine smile and a casual pose. 
    macxpressDeelron
  • Reply 2 of 30
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    that is because she realize that ship is sinking and she can not put a pretty PR wrapper on a pile of stink.
    jbdragonh2plordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 3 of 30
    sricesrice Posts: 120member
    I'll bet she wishes she could Ctrl-Z...
    nolamacguylordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 4 of 30
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    sog35 said:
    Apple needs to buy twitter.  Apple's social game sucks. 

Buy twitter and then expand their social services off of the twitter platform. 

Twitter will only cost about $15 billion to purchase. Much better than wasting money on the stupid buyback. In fact Apple could pay with Apple stock instead of cash. 

I'm really getting sick of Tim Cook not being aggressive in buying BIG companies.  Apple has extreme weaknesses in Social platforms and Cloud services.  Apple does not have time or the expertise to develop these in house (they have been trying for years).  Just buy Twitter and Dropbox/Box and get on with it.  You need to take risks to get rewards.
    It looks like sog35 you would be a great CEO why aren't you not one haha right.
    jbdragonsingularitymike1nolamacguypacificfilm
  • Reply 5 of 30
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    Interesting and I know it's supposed to be about her, but I just couldn't take my eyes off Steve in the background. Such a simple genuine smile and a casual pose. 
    Had the same, what a genuine expression. Almost an innocent curious look how other people can be so enthusiastic...
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Why? Why would apple be so stupid as to buy twitter?
    It is a declining platform (IMHO). Its best days are more than likely over.

It would also piss off Google quite a bit. That might be a good thing but while that app is neutral then everyone can use it without issue.
    If apple were to buy Twitter then would Samsung let you install it on their devices?
    Maybe yes, maybe no.

IF Apple were so silly to make an offer, the premium (price over and above the stock price) would make Wall St sell APPLE in a flash.
    How does the purchase of Twitter fit in with Apple's goals? That is the unknown.  IMHO, it does not.
    latifbplordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 7 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Looks like that old multiple posts bug has crept back into the forums.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Look at the timestamps for the posts. That seems more deliberate DP'ing than accidental.

• Reply 9 of 30
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sog35 said:
    maestro64 said:
    that is because she realize that ship is sinking and she can not put a pretty PR wrapper on a pile of stink.

Twitter will only cost about $15 billion to purchase. Much better than wasting money on the stupid buyback. In fact Apple could pay with Apple stock instead of cash. 

I'm really getting sick of Tim Cook not being aggressive in buying BIG companies.  Apple has extreme weaknesses in Social platforms and Cloud services.  Apple does not have time or the expertise to develop these in house (they have been trying for years).  Just buy Twitter and Dropbox/Box and get on with it.  You need to take risks to get rewards.

Y'know that's really odd, because in every single interview he does, he always speaks so highly of you. 
    JanNLsingularitypscooter63roundaboutnowpacificfilmbrometheus
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Well-observed and so very true. 
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Twitter only bans people guilty of Badthink. Indeed, two people can post the same thing, and the leftist will get a pass while the person on the right will get a ban. 
    JanNLlatifbp
  • Reply 12 of 30
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    sog35 said:
    maestro64 said:

Dump idea, the company does not have a viable business model, Apple buying it is not going to fix that. The twitter product does not have a really good way to monetize it advertising model.

Ask MS about Nokia how well buying big companies work or ask HP how well the Compaq purchase went. Ask Google about their Nest or Motorola deals. If you did your research, you will see most large acquisition fail, very few companies have been successful making. Apple ROI on their purchase have done far better than most companies. $15B for Twitter is be a waste money. Wall Street likes these kinds of deal since it burns capital and they can drive the stock in the direction they want.

Apple risk taking is done internally not buying something which they do not know. You just do not understand risk mitigate and balancing it against the reward.

mike1pacificfilm
  • Reply 13 of 30
    sog35 said:
    maestro64 said:

Dump idea, the company does not have a viable business model, Apple buying it is not going to fix that. The twitter product does not have a really good way to monetize it advertising model.

Ask MS about Nokia how well buying big companies work or ask HP how well the Compaq purchase went. Ask Google about their Nest or Motorola deals. If you did your research, you will see most large acquisition fail, very few companies have been successful making. Apple ROI on their purchase have done far better than most companies. $15B for Twitter is be a waste money. Wall Street likes these kinds of deal since it burns capital and they can drive the stock in the direction they want.

Apple risk taking is done internally not buying something which they do not know. You just do not understand risk mitigate and balancing it against the reward.

Give me a break. Apple has been trying to getting into social media platforms for a decade and has failed miserably.

Twitter is a big deal. Over 300 million daily users. Its a platform. Apple does not need to monitize it right away.  Its a social platform that Apple can build other features on. You bring up all the failed acquisitions. But most of those acqusitions were for OLD tech and HARDWARE companies. Look how well Facebook did buying Instagram for $1 billion. Or acquistions by Microsoft and Amazon with cloud companies. 

Instagram was purchased by Facebook for about $1 billion. Now its worth over $35 billion. 

Twitter is dying, it's just a slow death. They're irrelevant. This would be like the AOL-TimeWarner merger. 
  • Reply 14 of 30
    sog35 said:
    Instead he wastes $120 billion on buybacks to please Wall STreet.
    I am not sure what you mean by 'waste'. That's nonsense. It's just a more efficient form of returning money to shareholders. Those who don't want to sell don't have to sell. And if they do, they can pay taxes (at) the capital gains tax rate.
    mike1pacificfilm
  • Reply 15 of 30
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    sog35 said:
    I want Apple to buy:

Twitter $15 billion
    Dropbox $3 billion
    Valve $1 billion

That's less than $20 billion. Pay half cash and half stock. Do that and Apple will be a leader in Cloud, Gaming, and Social. 

If Apple was more agressive in the past they could have bought Facebook, Telsa, ect.

You sound like a typical Apple shareholder. Those have got to be 3 of the worst companies for Apple to buy. Social media doesn't make any money (except FaceBook who doesn't actually make their money off the social media part). Apple doesn't need Dropbox...it already have iCloud Drive which works perfectly fine. Valve...I don't see any advantage of Apple buying any kind of gaming company. They've never been interested in gaming and most likely never will be. There are already lots of successful games in Steam for the Mac and Apple doesn't need yet another store front for iOS games. 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 16 of 30
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    sog35 said:
    I want Apple to buy:

Twitter $15 billion
    Dropbox $3 billion
    Valve $1 billion

That's less than $20 billion. Pay half cash and half stock. Do that and Apple will be a leader in Cloud, Gaming, and Social. 

If Apple was more agressive in the past they could have bought Facebook, Telsa, ect.
    Why buy valve? They are primarily a game distribution service and would offer very little to Apple? The share of OSX is only 3.4% compared to Windows of 95.7%. It would drive nothing towards Apples side and running a service that offers little to its ecosystem seems odd to me?
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Why? Why would apple be so stupid as to buy twitter?
    It is a declining platform (IMHO). Its best days are more than likely over.

First, Twitter is not quite the declining has-been that you think it is. For example, Trump's campaign may not be where it is if weren't for for Twitter. It is still a powerful force for professional social media communication. Second, the question is not really whether Twitter may or may not be declining. It is whether Apple can get synergies out of it for itself, and can reverse Twitter's fortunes using its resources and capabilities.
    latifbp
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Twitter only bans people guilty of Badthink. Indeed, two people can post the same thing, and the leftist will get a pass while the person on the right will get a ban. 
    What does it smell like down there in your Right Wing Foxhole?
    singularitynolamacguyroundaboutnow
  • Reply 19 of 30
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mwhite said:
    sog35 said:

It looks like sog35 you would be a great CEO why aren't you not one haha right.
    because he has absolutely no idea what he's talking about, ever. buying BIG companies itself is a stupid strategy fraught with risk and integration problems. you buy what adds value. 
  • Reply 20 of 30
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

Look at the timestamps for the posts. That seems more deliberate DP'ing than accidental.

no, its the lousy forum software AI choses to use. it stalls on ajax calls such as voting or posting; worse, theres no UI method employed to show it's in progress or block the user from clicking a second or third time...dupe posts. simple to fix if they actually had a web developer working for them.
    JanNLpatchythepiratepscooter63