OvRcharge claims to wirelessly charge and 'levitate' an iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone
A new crowdfunding campaign for a product dubbed OvRcharge claims to use electromagnetism to wirelessly charge an iPhone with a special case, as well as "levitate" and rotate it in the air to signify completion of charge.

The charging and rotation gimmick requires a special case that is available for a wide variety of smartphones, including the iPhone 5s and newer. The case does have a protrusion on the back, that measures 4 centimeters wide by 0.7 centimeters deep, adding a depth similar to that of the iPhone itself to the back of the device. It is not clear from the details provided in the campaign if this protrusion is removable from the case.

A pair of different sizes for the OvRcharge wood base will be available if the project is successfully funded. The standard base is 140mm square, with a depth of 33 millimeters, and provides about 500mAh for charging. The larger OvRcharge Ultra is 170mm square, with a depth of 35 millimeters, and supplies around 700mAh.

In the case of a power outage, the phone will not immediately plummet to the base. The company claims that phones charging will continue to remain in the air for up to four to five hours, depending on base model as "there is a built in battery in the unit."

Extra magnets to "levitate" other objects are available. Additionally, for phones not supported, the company notes that a third party attachment containing a coil and magnet is also for sale, suitable for connection to any device's existing case.

The company does not claim that the OvRcharge adheres to any existing wireless charging standard. Apple is said to be working on its own wireless charging protocol for inclusion in a 2017 iPhone, which might pose compatibility problems with the OvRcharge.

The company is seeking $239 CAD ($185 U.S.) on Kickstarter for a complete kit with the standard OvRcharge base and one phone case of the pledger's choice. Extra smartphone cases are available for $29.

As with any crowdfunded project, the product is not guaranteed to come to market, even if successfully funded.

OvRcharge: Levitating Wireless Charger -- Kicktraq Mini

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I like the idea, just not a fan of the Quasimodo feature on the back. too bad they have not figure out how to incorporate that it to the case and still make it float.
    calibaconstang
  • Reply 2 of 17
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    Why?
    baconstangdysamoria
  • Reply 3 of 17
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    Samsung is already salivating. 
    cali
  • Reply 4 of 17
    I do miss having the Touchstone charger like my Pre 2 had. 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 5 of 17
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Seriously, how silly can you get?
    baconstang
  • Reply 6 of 17
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    sog35 said:
    This is BS.

They will run away with the money 

99% of kickstarters are scams or the product does not live up to the promise.
    I wouldn't say 99%. But it's high enough, possibly around a third. I've given to 7, and 4 have come through. Not sure I'm going to do it again though.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Toss another goofy idea on the pile.  Why not?  Rube Goldberg would be proud.  

edited August 2016 baconstang
  • Reply 8 of 17
    For $185 USD, yeah, they're worthy of the name "OvRcharge"
    dysamoria
  • Reply 9 of 17
    What impresses me? In the title shot of their promo video they manage to spell their own company's name wrong. You've got to know there'll be awesome QA for this product. ;)
    chiaicoco3
  • Reply 10 of 17
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    thrang said:
    Why?
    There are plenty of strange things in this world one may ask "why" of, but really it just comes down to whether a market exists that x may satisfy, regardless how odd that x may be. IOW, there will always be people around to buy pointless $hit.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    I wonder how much power is wasted in the transmission and levitation.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 12 of 17
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    melgross said:
    sog35 said:
    This is BS.

I wouldn't say 99%. But it's high enough, possibly around a third. I've given to 7, and 4 have come through. Not sure I'm going to do it again though.
    I've backed 87 projects that have successfully funded. One has outright failed, 27 others have not delivered yet. Of those 27 that have not yet delivered, 20 were funded in 2016. All 27 are still providing active updates. Among the ones that have not yet delivered, 13 are from repeat creators who have delivered all of their previous projects (Reaper Miniatures, for example). Most of the others are inexpensive bets on things I would like to exist. There are also a few projects in there from people I know and can go hassle if they don't deliver.

In general, as long as you do some research on the thing you're backing to make sure it's possible to do, it's not terribly risky. In this case, I believe it is possible. In the last three months, I have seen two other projects pitching something similar, but for growing plants. That makes me suspect that some company has started selling a part for magnetic levitation and controlled rotation of an object. I haven't spent much time looking into the creators and whether they have been involved in any other projects, though.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 13 of 17
    sog35 said:
    This is BS.

99% of your comments are dumb and useless. 

I just pulled that number out of my ass, but that's ok. People won't fact check me and by making up those numbers I discredit you for no purpose... no purpose at all.
    dysamoriawaverboystevenoz
  • Reply 14 of 17
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I thought it was bad to subject electronics to strong magnetic fields...
    unbeliever2
  • Reply 15 of 17
    sog35 said:
    This is BS.

99% of your comments are dumb and useless. 

I just pulled that number out of my ass, but that's ok. People won't fact check me and by making up those numbers I discredit you for no purpose... no purpose at all.
    83% of statistics are made up.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    Would you want this in your house? Like anywhere near you?