Supply chain sources again point to Apple's 'iPhone 7 Plus' having 3GB of RAM

Posted:
in iPhone
The DRAM industry is expecting to see growth in the third quarter of 2016, buoyed by supply chain sources predicting a boost in application RAM to 3 gigabytes in the forthcoming "iPhone 7," though it's still unclear whether the additional memory will only be found in the larger "Plus" model.

Unspecified supply chain sources cited by DigiTimes are expecting an increase to 3 gigabytes of RAM in the iPhone 7, versus 2 gigabytes currently. The move, if it happens, will assist the overall industry as production cuts forced by an industry-wide slowdown have resulted in a tight supply of DRAM chips, which has increased pricing across the board.

The report points to chip manufacturers Macronix International and Powertech Technology (PTI) having both increased earnings estimates based on increasing demand from unspecified smartphone manufacturers. The increases are unusual and notable in a stagnant overall RAM and mobile market.

The report echoes a similar prediction made from KGI Securities analyst Ming Cho Kuo in November 2015, though he said the 3-gigabyte boost would only be found in the larger 5.5-inch "iPhone 7 Plus" version. Wednesday's report simply mentioned the "iPhone 7."

It is not known if DigiTimes is parroting the earlier report, or has an independent source with specific details beyond just increases in earnings estimates. However, the publication has a poor track record in predicting Apple's specific future product plans, meaning the possibility of a 4.7-inch "iPhone 7" sporting 3 gigabytes of RAM should be viewed with skepticism.

Recent reports suggest that the fall 2016 iPhone 7 won't have a major exterior redesign, as there is "new technology in the pipeline" that is taking time to fully exploit. Parts and details leaked from manufacturing suggest that the design is nearly identical to that of the iPhone 6s, minus the headphone jack.

The 2015 iPad Pro 12.7-inch model is the only iOS device to exceed 2 gigabytes of RAM -- it doubles that, with 4 gigabytes. The iPhone 6s, 6s plus, and the 9.7-inch iPad Pro all have 2 gigabytes of RAM.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Sounds like an iPhone "PRO" to me ...

Seems like Apple is trying to position the Plus as a must have phone for those wanting everything but the kitchen sink, with a price tag to go with it, thereby increasing Apple's bottom line whether sale pick up substantially or not ...
    doozydozenbaconstang
  • Reply 2 of 40
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    mac_128 said:

Seems like Apple is trying to position the Plus as a must have phone for those wanting everything but the kitchen sink, with a price tag to go with it, thereby increasing Apple's bottom line whether sale pick up substantially or not ...
    I agree.

It is pretty much fact at least one 5.5" iPhone will have 3GB of RAM at this point.

Still think I am waiting for 2017.
    edited August 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 40
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    But but but...I thought 1GB was just fine and any more was bad because it would allow developers to built inefficient apps. :wink: 
    doozydozencnocbuithewhitefalcontallest skil
  • Reply 4 of 40
    If the added DRAM equates to big benchmark scores that dominant the competition, translating to real-world usability improvements, I'm all for the added expense. Apple typically does not engage rivals, like Samsung, in the specs game, but in this case, if it shows the world that Apple knows how to effectively harness the added power, unlike its rivals, bring it!
  • Reply 5 of 40
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    I have the feeling that iphone 8 will no longer have the RAM as the flash storage will be 3D XPoint.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    mac_128 said:

Any way Phil Schiller can get people to spend $100 more he will. But I think the time will come when Apple has to be more competitive on price. It's no longer the case that all competitor phones are crap. A lot of competitors flagship devices are actually quite good. I would even argue there are Android OEM phones that have as good if not better camera than the iPhone. Galaxy Note 7 starts at 64GB RAM and includes 15GB free cloud storage. Will Apple trying to compete with that or will they once again try and find a way to get more money out of customers, like charging $29 for a headphone jack adapter or putting lightning headphones in the box and offering for a premium nicer wireless earbuds?
    doozydozencnocbuigatorguy
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Plus, either the duel-lens camera or some undisclosed feature may need the added DRAM. Or possibly, Apple's 2017 model year iPhone might premier the following Fall with a planned feature that will require the soon-to-be-released iPhone to have the added horsepower to utilize said feature. So, in this case, the extra DRAM would be for future-proofing, instead of meeting current needs.
    Food for thought.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 8 of 40
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    But but but...I thought 1GB was just fine and any more was bad because it would allow developers to built inefficient apps. wink 
    The only people that believed that where ignorant about what RAM is in a computer system. IOS devices suffered for years because of Apples stingy allotment of RAM in its devices. The move to two GB was a hug step forward as all of that extra RAM went to apps. On the 1GB devices a good portion of the RAM was allocated to the system. When it comes right down to it Apple hindered application development due to the lack of RAM on its devices.
    doozydozenicoco3
  • Reply 9 of 40
    If the added DRAM equates to big benchmark scores that dominant the competition, translating to real-world usability improvements, I'm all for the added expense. Apple typically does not engage rivals, like Samsung, in the specs game, but in this case, if it shows the world that Apple knows how to effectively harness the added power, unlike its rivals, bring it!
    For the most part RAM isn't there to support benchmarks, it is there to support an Applications need for code and data space.  More RAM means more reliable apps and apps that can handle more demanding tasks.  In some cases the impact on performance would mean nothing.   

Beyond that hat the demand for RAM has absolutely nothing to do with Samsung or any imagined spec game you might believe is being played.  The desire for more RAM comes from the developer community that actually understands how a computer works!!!!   More RAM has had a very positive impact on Apples systems allowing developers to offer a wider array of software and perhaps more importantly off software that doesn't crash every time you turn around due to the lack of RAM.  For many developers getting their software to work properly on the 1 GB devices was a big chore.  
    rogifan_newgatorguy
  • Reply 10 of 40

netrox said:
    I have the feeling that iphone 8 will no longer have the RAM as the flash storage will be 3D XPoint.
    I'm not seeing this happening myself.    Who knows though the storage market is seeing a lot of advancements of late.  

What at I would love to see thoughts for Apple to adopt Memory Cube type technologies or something similar to AMDs HBM.   The reality here is that these APU type chips suffer due to memory bandwidth issues.   Much faster RAM would remove some bottle necks impacting certain performance profiles.  
  • Reply 11 of 40
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mac_128 said:

Any way Phil Schiller can get people to spend $100 more he will. But I think the time will come when Apple has to be more competitive on price. It's no longer the case that all competitor phones are crap. A lot of competitors flagship devices are actually quite good. I would even argue there are Android OEM phones that have as good if not better camera than the iPhone. Galaxy Note 7 starts at 64GB RAM and includes 15GB free cloud storage. Will Apple trying to compete with that or will they once again try and find a way to get more money out of customers, like charging $29 for a headphone jack adapter or putting lightning headphones in the box and offering for a premium nicer wireless earbuds?
    you're asking whether Apple is going to charge for added features like doing so was anything other than the way our entire economy works. 

if they put lightning headphones in the box, why in god's name wouldn't they charge for a wireless pair? does Samsung give out free wireless headphones in addition to wired?

most people don't need the various adapters Apple supplies. that's why they're optional adapters, why they don't hand them out to everyone, and why they cost money. 

or...it's all an evil conspiracy by a mustache-twirling Schiller designed to personally screw you. yeah. 
    edited August 2016 fastasleepdoozydozenai46Deelronintrepidfosterbaconstang
  • Reply 12 of 40
    The photo shows no jack for an audio mini-plug, which I know is not new news. But I have to say I'm really annoyed about the lack of a standard mini-plug for audio. What exactly is Apple accomplishing here? Saving $0.02 on parts and manufacturing? Diminishing the thickness of the iPhone by 0.5mm? Extending the battery life by 10 mins? Do they think it will be so cool and modern and advanced? Or are they just trying to line the pockets of themselves and the iPhone ecosystem by forcing people to yet again buy more cable adapters.

I feel like Apple is making this change just for the sake of making changes. So that the "new" iPhone can add one more feature to the reportedly short list of new features (although I would debate the change being called a "feature").

I'm really glad Apple doesn't run our nation's electrical grid. Otherwise we be buying all new appliances ever few years because Apple would keep changing the size of our electrical outlets.

By the way, I love Apple, I always have. I just question how this is a benefit to their customers.
    baconstang
  • Reply 13 of 40
    wizard69 said:
    But but but...I thought 1GB was just fine and any more was bad because it would allow developers to built inefficient apps. wink 
    The only people that believed that where ignorant about what RAM is in a computer system. IOS devices suffered for years because of Apples stingy allotment of RAM in its devices. The move to two GB was a hug step forward as all of that extra RAM went to apps. On the 1GB devices a good portion of the RAM was allocated to the system. When it comes right down to it Apple hindered application development due to the lack of RAM on its devices.
    except not really. 

when end we had this debat in years past, everyone agree iPad could use the added ram since it was often refreshing tabs. was not a big problem on iPhone which is why it came later. 

and Apple hindered app dev? yes, hindered it so badly iOS was and still is the first mobile platform to develop for. 
    anomedoozydozennetmageintrepidfoster
  • Reply 14 of 40
    The plus needs a built in pen
  • Reply 15 of 40
    mackymoto said:
    The photo shows no jack for an audio mini-plug, which I know is not new news. But I have to say I'm really annoyed about the lack of a standard mini-plug for audio. What exactly is Apple accomplishing here? Saving $0.02 on parts and manufacturing? Diminishing the thickness of the iPhone by 0.5mm? Extending the battery life by 10 mins? Do they think it will be so cool and modern and advanced? Or are they just trying to line the pockets of themselves and the iPhone ecosystem by forcing people to yet again buy more cable adapters.

I feel like Apple is making this change just for the sake of making changes. So that the "new" iPhone can add one more feature to the reportedly short list of new features (although I would debate the change being called a "feature").

I'm really glad Apple doesn't run our nation's electrical grid. Otherwise we be buying all new appliances ever few years because Apple would keep changing the size of our electrical outlets.

By the way, I love Apple, I always have. I just question how this is a benefit to their customers.
    so much nonsense...where do I begin. 

- please catch up, it's not about making the phone thinner, since the touch is already thinner and has the jack. 

- Apple doesn't make changes for the sake of making changes. that's one reason haters are wetting their pants over the case design not changing much. 

- Apple devices are used longer than other devices, their useful lifespans are longer, not shorter. 

- the 30-pin port was used for a dozen years 

- you can question it and feel you know why they're doing it all you want, but until we hear it from them what the benefits and reasons are, you're just making things up. no one knows until Apple says 1) that it's happening, 2) why it's happening, 3) the benefits of it. 
    drewys808fastasleepdoozydozenai46Deelronnetmageintrepidfoster
  • Reply 16 of 40
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Ok, so we are talking about a 2.14 Gig and 1.074 Gig DRAM memory block riding piggyback; all addressed by a standard 32 bit bus, giving ~3.2Gig total DRAM that is addressed within the 4 Gig addressable block window provided by the 32 bit bus. So, we are seeing similar speeds (to the best of my knowledge) just 50% more available DRAM space to hold and buffer the iOS, apps and data - which should translate to faster performance
    doozydozen
  • Reply 17 of 40
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member
    mackymoto said:
    Or are they just trying to line the pockets of themselves and the iPhone ecosystem by forcing people to yet again buy more cable adapters.
    Yes, Einstein. You nailed it. Mulder and Scully can just go home.
    ...said every troll that every graced our presence.
    intrepidfosternolamacguy
  • Reply 18 of 40
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    wizard69 said:

Apple usually tries to keep things in balance. The 1 GB in older phones was mostly about battery life. When you light up more RAM, you run the battery down faster. After they started making their own A chips, better batteries and more efficient code base, they were able to increase the RAM without impacting the battery life. One GB could be really frustrating when you were working with multiple windows such as copying and pasting from one window to another. Sometimes you'd be half way done with a form submission, but when you return with your clipboard text, the form page would refresh for lack of RAM, causing you to lose your work. But as time goes on, technology improves, and as it does, Apple is able to increase the RAM, but with everything they do, they always try to keep things in balance - technology, performance, materials, price, profit margin, and user experience.
    edited August 2016 netmageintrepidfosterwaverboybaconstang
  • Reply 19 of 40
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    mackymoto said:

When they came out with Lightning on the iPhone 5, my (not so bright) friend immediately exclaimed, "See, that's how they get you!" To which I pointed at his iPhone and said, "No, that's how they get you. Do you like your iPhone?" "Yeah." "Do you want them to keep making it better?" "Yeah."
    ai46Deelronnetmagewaverboy
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    wizard69 said:
    The thing is, RAM is cheap. The profit margin difference between 1gb and 2gb is negligible, certainly not worth the trade-off of unhappy customers.

There's a better reason why Apple is stingy with RAM in mobile devices — for as long as the phone is awake, every bit of RAM is using power, whether that RAM is being actively used by an app or not. The memory power consumption of a 2gb iPhone is double that of a 1gb model. 

The choices Apple has…
    1. Include lots of RAM and accept worse battery life
    2. Include lots of RAM and use bigger batteries
    3. Include what they consider the minimum amount of RAM practical and put the burden on app developers to deliver power-efficient apps

#3 has been their strategy since the very beginning, and the success of the platform bears it out.

The "plus" series of phones, thanks to their larger batteries, can afford a ding on battery life, so it makes plenty of sense that they'd "plus up" the performance at the expense of some battery life that nobody will notice.
    Deelronbaconstangnolamacguy