Apple releases iOS 9.3.4 for iPhone and iPad, calls it an 'important' security fix

Posted:
in iPhone
In what could be the last update to the iOS 9 software cycle, Apple on Thursday released iOS 9.3.4 to the public, calling it an "important security update" that all users should install.

"iOS 9.3.4 provides an important security update for your iPhone or iPad and is recommended for all users," the release notes read. It's available through Software Update in the iOS Settings app, or by connecting via USB to iTunes on a Mac or PC.

The new release comes just a few weeks after iOS 9.3.3 was issued publicly. Unlike with that update, there were no betas of iOS 9.3.4 before it launched.

Apple is set to release its next major platform update, iOS 10, this fall, likely in September. It includes major notification improvements, third-party app support for Siri voice prompts, and upgrades to native apps including Messages, Maps and Photos.

For more on iOS 10, see AppleInsider's ongoing Inside iOS 10 series.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    I wonder what exactly Apple patched with this security update?
    1983albegarc
  • Reply 2 of 20
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207026

iOS 9.3.4

Released August 4, 2016

IOMobileFrameBuffer
    Available for: iPhone 4s and later, iPad 2 and later, iPod touch (5th generation) and later
    Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges
    Description: A memory corruption issue was addressed through improved memory handling.
    CVE-2016-4654: Team Pangu
    noivadjbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 20
    I've tried to update both my iPad Mini and iPhone 6+, and with both I get this error message: The iPad (or iPhone) "XXX" could not be updated. This device isn't eligible for the requested build. My Mac is running the current (10.11.6) OS, and everything else seems to be running smoothly. But this update doesn't play nice with either of my iOS devices.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    Hi woodworks; Yeah, tried updating my iPod Touch and received the same message as you. I think Apple is having a problem with it's iOS deployment software server.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Looks like the Apple servers are back in operation. I'm going through the update mode now.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Kills the Pangu Jailbreak
    lkrupp
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Okay, my iPod Touch has been successfully updated to iOS 9.3.4. All is fine, no problems.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Ive
    macseeker said:
    Hi woodworks; Yeah, tried updating my iPod Touch and received the same message as you. I think Apple is having a problem with it's iOS deployment software server.
    OTA update worked fine for both devices. But thanks for the info.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    linkman said:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207026

iOS 9.3.4

Released August 4, 2016

IOMobileFrameBuffer
    Available for: iPhone 4s and later, iPad 2 and later, iPod touch (5th generation) and later
    Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges
    Description: A memory corruption issue was addressed through improved memory handling.
    CVE-2016-4654: Team Pangu
    Must be a big enough issue, something Apple is worried enough about to release this security patch so soon after the last one and so soon before iOS10 is released making this update pointless, well I guess except those that have a old device that won't get iOS10.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Did you notice who was credited with the flaw? CVE-2016-4654: Team Pangu

More like Apple took a look at the Pangu jailbreak and said "Well lookie here. This is how they got in." Of course this patch broke the jailbreak. Duh! I still think jailbreakers are morons but the jailbreak developers, ah, they are actually helping Apple by finding the holes. Someday they will develop themselves right out of business.
    edited August 2016 fastasleepjbishop1039macseekerdementuschikanjbdragonjony0
  • Reply 11 of 20
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Good.
    dementuschikanbaconstanggtr
  • Reply 12 of 20
    I dont know but it should be big enough to release and update just weeks before releasing iOS 10

• Reply 13 of 20
    Rushed out a jailbreak patch, the wait to iOS 10 begins.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    That is unfortunate that this update may have negated the effects of that software you installed from the group from that country that the world is preparing for war against and that you know nothing about.

If you wish, you are more than welcome to post all your personal and private information here (including banking details, passwords, etc...) and we can arrange for somebody to rip you off at some point in the near future.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    lkrupp said:
    I still think jailbreakers are morons
    Seems like a sweeping statement.
    I jailbreak for 3G unrestriction as Apple want to limit the size of apps that I download.
    Tethering.
    MovieBox so I can watch a few US TV shows that aren't shown over here (I buy the DVDs when they are available).

I don't see how that would make me a moron as the only other option is using an Android device which would make me a moron.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Persistent and unabating software update prompts are going to drive me away from the Apple ecosystem. 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 17 of 20
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    gtr said:
    If you wish, you are more than welcome to post all your personal and private information here (including banking details, passwords, etc...) and we can arrange for somebody to rip you off at some point in the near future.
    Here's mine. Have fun.

Name: Robert F. Mofo
    Bank: Antarctic Polar Chill Trust
    Account #: 92347348-343434-6643343-4343434
    Password: 5x"M<h]=zHca`R.dv8)7uG\w*RxsAeL<C-ft+YE+q;%#FL^}%x~vd-btqYfQ>qwHE*&>x%K[656~nL?dpQ/uMc.tqeqec-+*xz$2d%dpSbT9Q7;Dk_qQR[&C{rG,#A$P
    National ID: 9834349839487377243219-23434395439783495834
    Address: 10 Downings St., Mumbai, New Zealand 5532U2
    Phone: 1-33-55-77-99-11-5555-0000-2
    Date of birth: 1/1/1920
  • Reply 18 of 20
    What's with all these ignorant anti-jailbreak comments? Were you all afraid that everybody reading this page might not know how clueless you are? Did it ever occur to any of you to learn at all about what you're talking about before you start talking about it? Sounds like no. And yet here you are, talking about it anyway. Stupid.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 19 of 20
    lkrupp said:
    Did you notice who was credited with the flaw? CVE-2016-4654: Team Pangu

II still think jailbreakers are morons
    You sound really ignorant.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    gtr said:

That is unfortunate that this update may have negated the effects of that software you installed from the group from that country that the world is preparing for war against and that you know nothing about.

And you are more than welcome to post more completely uninformed, juvenile comments that anyone who actually knows about the subject just finds pitiful.