Apple CEO Tim Cook says future products will be 'in every part of your life that we can'

Posted:
in General Discussion
Although it may only expand into new categories when the time is right, Apple intends to weave its products into virtually every aspect of a person's life, Apple executives Tim Cook and Eddy Cue revealed in an interview published on Monday.

"We want to be there from when you wake up till when you decide to go to sleep," Cue told Fast Company.

"Our strategy is to help you in every part of your life that we can," Cook added, "whether you're sitting in the living room, on your desktop, on your phone, or in your car."

Apple products already cover all of those areas to an extent, through the iPhone, Mac, Apple TV, and CarPlay. The company is also believed to be developing its own electric car however, along with things like an Amazon Echo competitor.

Cook once again hinted that the company is planning to dive deeper into the health world, beyond HealthKit, CareKit, ResearchKit, and the Apple Watch.

"We've gotten into the health arena and we started looking at wellness, that took us to pulling a string to thinking about research, pulling that string a little further took us to some patient-care stuff, and that pulled a string that's taking us into some other stuff," he said.

Separately, Cue noted that the company's botched relaunch of Apple Maps in 2012 -- sans Google content -- is the reason it now does public beta testing of iOS and macOS, hoping to catch more problems early on.

"To all of us living in Cupertino, the maps for here were pretty darn good. Right? So [the problem] wasn't obvious to us. We were never able to take it out to a large number of users to get that feedback. Now we do," he said. "The reason you as a customer are going to be able to test iOS is because of Maps."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Bit creepy. Sounds like something Eric Schmidt would say. 
    dasanman69schlacklamboaudi4
  • Reply 2 of 44
    Hmmm. Well I, for one, find most of Apple's recent releases to be seriously "meh". While the ATV and iWatch have some obviously useful use-cases, they're certainly not universally useful devices, and they have definite flaws that make them less than useful in their intended roles (battery life in the watch, lack of live TV and usable in-home streaming for the ATV). So I, for one, am not really looking forward to Apple' take on the clock radio or refrigerator.
    cali
  • Reply 3 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Apple Bed confirmed!  /s
    schlackcwingravmelodyof1974drewys808jony0pscooter63
  • Reply 4 of 44
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Hmmm. Well I, for one, find most of Apple's recent releases to be seriously "meh". While the ATV and iWatch have some obviously useful use-cases, they're certainly not universally useful devices, and they have definite flaws that make them less than useful in their intended roles (battery life in the watch, lack of live TV and usable in-home streaming for the ATV). So I, for one, am not really looking forward to Apple' take on the clock radio or refrigerator.
    Care to elaborate by giving examples of what products you think would not be "seriously meh?" What's the next big thing in your opinion? VR is already passé, autonomous vehicles are ten years away. Don't mention curved screens and other such nonsense. Specifications like faster processors, more memory, etc. are not innovations. Batteries and waterproofing aren't either. I don't see any other company on the planet with a better crystal ball at this time.
    albegarctmayspice-boyradarthekatcalimike1williamlondonnolamacguyjony0bonobob
  • Reply 5 of 44
    Concerning CarPlay: I am really upset that car brands charge additionally for CarPlay-capable electronics in their new cars, if they carry it at all (notwithstanding the extensive list of automakers which claim they have joined CarPlay). And Apple should be upset as well.
    After all they have given the carmakers a proper standard, instead of leaving the car manufacturers creating a cacophony of system specs.
     (Similarly, Google should be upset as well, for similar reasons. Still 2 standards is better than every car maker inventing its own.)

Interestingly, it is Samsung who makes the GPS systems that support Apple's CarPlay and Android's whatever.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    "will be 'in every part of your life that we can?"

Now that just sounds dirty!
    edited August 2016 cwingrav
  • Reply 7 of 44
    crowley said:
    Maybe but the objectives (IMHO) are entirely different.  Google wants to monetise your data so that they can flog it to any man and their dogs. Once these mongrels have your data, they have you, your life and everything for ever.
    As I see it, with Apple they get your money when you buy their kit. It is in their interests to keep you happy so that you will buy some more.
    See the difference?

caliwilliamlondonpscooter63boopthesnootlamboaudi4badmonk
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Why the heck are DECT phones still in the stone age? Shouldn't they sync with Apple's ecosystem and integrate in all possible ways?
    I know, most people don't need landlines any longer, but it will be some time till these have disappeared, especially in business settings.
    cali
  • Reply 9 of 44
    I haven't heard anyone complaining about Watch battery life in months. Perhaps you're arguing from out of date information. 
    kevin kee
  • Reply 10 of 44
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    crowley said:
    He said help you in your life, not know everything about your life which is what Eric would want.
    caliwilliamlondonjony0pscooter63boopthesnootlamboaudi4
  • Reply 11 of 44
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    crowley said:
    Yep! Not something you really want to hear from a computer company.
    dasanman69tallest skil
  • Reply 12 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    wizard69 said:
    crowley said:
    Yep! Not something you really want to hear from a computer company.
    They've been "Apple Inc." for many years now. Remember when they dropped "Computer" from their name?
    anantksundaramnolamacguyboopthesnoot
  • Reply 13 of 44
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    My concern going forward is that Apple designers, engineers, officers, etc... are living in an extremely well paid and highly privileged world that few of their customers may be able to identify with. Do they understand the masses any longer? I recently spent a month in a very rural place with little to no cell phone service. All my Apple devices were somewhat useless. My point being I would love to see Apple make an effort to expand service and connectivity to the millions of people which live without access to the internet. However they choose to do this, donations, creating a foundation, or government lobbying, it would be a more important thing than introducing new colors for the upcoming iPhone. I know most of you will think that is not Apple's responsibility but I believe it is time for Apple to give back to the world and make a difference outside of new products and services for those that can afford them. 
    Paralysis
  • Reply 14 of 44
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,834moderator
    crowley said:
    Except it's not what he said.  The headline misrepresents Cook.  Here's his quote, "Our strategy is to help you in every part of your life that we can,"
    caliwilliamlondonnolamacguySpamSandwichfastasleeppscooter63boopthesnoot
  • Reply 15 of 44
    crowley said:
    The actual quote is very different from the somewhat clickbait AI headline. What's wrong with a company saying "we want to help you in every part of your life that we can"? I think that's wonderful.
    edited August 2016 caliwilliamlondonSpamSandwichfastasleeppscooter63
  • Reply 16 of 44
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,834moderator
    spice-boy said:
    My concern going forward is that Apple designers, engineers, officers, etc... are living in an extremely well paid and highly privileged world that few of their customers may be able to identify with. Do they understand the masses any longer? I recently spent a month in a very rural place with little to no cell phone service. All my Apple devices were somewhat useless. My point being I would love to see Apple make an effort to expand service and connectivity to the millions of people which live without access to the internet. However they choose to do this, donations, creating a foundation, or government lobbying, it would be a more important thing than introducing new colors for the upcoming iPhone. I know most of you will think that is not Apple's responsibility but I believe it is time for Apple to give back to the world and make a difference outside of new products and services for those that can afford them. 
    Really?  You think it's time for the company that has arguably done more good for the world than any other, to start giving back?  And you say this in the same comment where you totally miss the point that Apple is the company that democratized luxury.  You don't seem to realize that the same iPhone that can be had by a person of modest means is the iPhone carried by the wealthiest and most powerful people on earth.  No matter how much wealth or influence you have, you can't get a better iPhone than is available to the masses.  And that's no small thing, as the iPhone, apart from just about every product on the planet, stands out as a tool that enriches our lives.  Just think of how many stand-alone products we no longer have to pay separately for because of the iPhone.  

And even those who can't afford an iPhone benefit from Apple's work, as all those other phone manufacturers, rather than continuing along the many-button, single tough (if touch at all) display phones they were making before Apple showed the way with the introduction of the iPhone, immediately copied the iPhone with its intuitive multi-touch interaction model.  So now pretty much everyone on the planet is using smartphone's modeled on Apple's work on the iPhone.  

How's that for giving back to the world?  Not to mention the other good works Apple is engaged in under its corporate philosophy to leave the world a better place.
    edited August 2016 mike1calilkruppSpamSandwichRayz2016pscooter63kevin keebadmonk
  • Reply 17 of 44

lmac said:

Where did you get the "will be"? Read what was actually said.
    cali
  • Reply 18 of 44
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,117member

lmac said:

Where did you get the "will be"? Read what was actually said.
    I think people are still thinking of the Apple watch being their most intimate product ever and turning back into 12 year olds.
    badmonk
  • Reply 19 of 44
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Ha even cook is agreeing with the importance of sleep. Everyone says Watch doesn't need to be on at night but my argument has always been longer battery life for sleep monitoring.
    I have sleeping probables and would like to know if I'm uneasy at night or something.

"Amazon Echo competitor"

This rumor is still a thing??
  • Reply 20 of 44
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    crowley said:
    Except it's not what he said.  The headline misrepresents Cook.  Here's his quote, "Our strategy is to help you in every part of your life that we can,"
    There's a HUGE difference between Tim Cook saying something like this and Eric "the creep" Shchmidt flat out saying he wants Goog recording your life.
    williamlondonboopthesnoot