New Google Photos ad riffs on struggles of 16GB iPhone users

Posted:
in iPhone
A new advertisement for Google Photos presents a solution for storage woes on low-capacity iPhones. But the pitch could have less relevancy if rumors prove true and Apple gives up on 16-gigabyte base configurations with the 'iPhone 7.'

The advertisement preys on fears of missing out, and demonstrates Google Photos' "free up space" feature where pictures and videos taken on an iPhone are offloaded to the cloud and not retained on the phone. Apple's iCloud has similar features with paid storage, but Google's photo storage is unlimited for users that select "high quality" in Google Photos.

Despite aiming at 16-gigabyte iPhone users and showing iOS interface shots, the tail-end of the advertisement depicts a Google Nexus 6P.

Released in May 2015, Google Photos will allow images up to 16 megapixels to be stored at full resolution. Photos taken in higher resolutions by a DSLR and uploaded from a computer will be compressed, but Google claims that the image quality will not be affected. Videos up to 1080p are stored for free. Users with paid Google Drive accounts can store full resolution pictures and videos, up to the limit of storage.

Rumors have circulated throughout most of 2016, claiming that the "iPhone 7" expected in September will include 32 gigabytes of storage for the entry level model. Apple has eschewed a 32-gigabyte capacity for the mid-range offering in lieu of 64 gigabytes for a $100 price premium over the entry level model.

A number of vendors' flagship phones have shipped with 32 gigabytes of storage as the default in recent years. Recent releases, such as the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, come stock with 64 gigabytes of flash media.

Google Photos is available on the App Store, requires iOS 8,1 or above, and occupies 133 megabytes of storage space.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    Google is a lot more generous with cloud storage, too. :s I'm just going to bite the bullet and upgrade my iCloud storage.
    edited August 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 69
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    it's ridiculously cheap to have a ton of iCloud storage nowadays. 
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201238

Seriously, get a phone that has the storage you need to do what you want, or realize that you're going to have to manage your storage more. That's really the tradeoff.  All you have to do is plug your phone into a computer and take the pictures off every now and then.  It's really not that hard to do and doesn't take a ton of time.  Or sign up for more iCloud storage and put your pictures on iCloud. 1 TB for about the same price to upgrade your phone to 32 GB.  It's a no-brainer.

There are always people that want to go cheap and then complain that something doesn't meet their needs.
    mwhitecalinolamacguymejsricDeelronjony0doozydozen[Deleted User]jbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 69
    The reality is Apple needs to boost the base storage. End of story. 
    SpamSandwichcnocbuilostkiwirogifan_newdoozydozenAirunJae
  • Reply 4 of 69
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    jkichline said:

Seriously, get a phone that has the storage you need to do what you want, or realize that you're going to have to manage your storage more. That's really the tradeoff.  All you have to do is plug your phone into a computer and take the pictures off every now and then.  It's really not that hard to do and doesn't take a ton of time.  Or sign up for more iCloud storage and put your pictures on iCloud. 1 TB for about the same price to upgrade your phone to 32 GB.  It's a no-brainer.

There are always people that want to go cheap and then complain that something doesn't meet their needs.

There is also always someone to take up for Apple too. 16GB is ridiculous for 2015 $650 phone. This coming from a 64GB iPhone 6+ user. This may shock you but Apple as a company can mess up and make wrong choices, this is one of those inspired by being cheap on a phone with margins in excess of 40%. Luckily I don't know the pains of a 16GB phone; I always bought the 32GB iPhone anyway. This commercial is spot on, regarding Apple's cheapness in this particular case.

Cloud storage will never beat having it on board the device.

I like their products and often the company makes the right moves but sometimes they are pretty set on extracting every dollar possible from consumers. 
    edited August 2016 thewhitefalconlmagoocnocbuizimmermannAirunJae
  • Reply 5 of 69
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    yet another freebie from Google so they can collect information about you, they will use their machine learning algorithm to analyses pictures you take and understand who your friend are and the things you like to take photo of and use the embedded GPS information to know exactly where you took the photo. People are so stupid to allow Google to invade ever aspect of their lives just to they can get something free.  
    chrisrenaldimwhitecalichiaradarthekatlostkiwimejsricDeelron[Deleted User]jbdragon
  • Reply 6 of 69
    Google is a lot more generous with cloud storage, too. I'm just going to bite the bullet and upgrade my iCloud storage.
    50 GIGS for .99 per month - HOW COULD THIS BE AN ISSUE AT ALL!

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/16/9341083/apple-icloud-storage-plans-cheaper
    edited August 2016 mwhitecaliicoco3nolamacguyradarthekatDeelrondoozydozen[Deleted User]jbdragon
  • Reply 7 of 69
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    Yes, why keep 10,000 pictures on your phone, just unload it to your desktop every once a a while. 
    mwhiteradarthekaturaharaDeelronjony0doozydozenjbdragon
  • Reply 8 of 69
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    50 GIGS for .99 per month - HOW COULD THIS BE AN ISSUE AT ALL! http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/16/9341083/apple-icloud-storage-plans-cheaper
    Because there will always be people that believe "free" is the best option regardless of what those companies do with their information.

Lemmings.
    mwhitecalinolamacguymejsricDeelronjony0jbdragon
  • Reply 9 of 69
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 403member
    Love having access to all my photos all of the time via iCloud. Don't want anything to do with the snooping of google.
    lmagoocalinolamacguylostkiwiDeelronjony0
  • Reply 10 of 69
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    seankill said:
    jkichline said:

There is also always someone to take up for Apple too. 16GB is ridiculous for 2015 $650 phone. This coming from a 64GB iPhone 6+ user. This may shock you but Apple as a company can mess up and make wrong choices, this is one of those inspired by being cheap on a phone with margins in excess of 40%. Luckily I don't know the pains of a 16GB phone; I always bought the 32GB iPhone anyway. This commercial is spot on, regarding Apple's cheapness in this particular case.

Cloud storage will never beat having it on board the device.

No doubt a few blind Apple worshipers will have issues with this post. I like their products and often the company makes the right moves but sometimes they are pretty set on extracting every dollar possible from consumers. 

That is also why Apple makes profits and their competitors loose money since they give away things. If companies are not profitable they will not be around long or their product are not quality. Ask your company you work for to give away their product or reduce their profit margins and see how long you have your job. Yes I like apple product however, price is the last thing I have to complain about with Apple, because I know when I buy Apple I will have the product for a long time so I tend to spend a lot less on Apple products over the life of the product.
    mwhitecaliradarthekatjbdragon
  • Reply 11 of 69
    Dropbox, 1TB =$99

Auto photo/video upload. Delete your photos and videos every once and awhile to keep max storage on your iPhone. 

Saves each individual version of a file as you either click save or it auto saves. This feature alone is worth the price. 

Share folders very easily with anyone. 
  • Reply 12 of 69
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    I bought a 16 gig iPhone 6s just before Christmas last year paid $1.00 for it but I don't take many pictures or have very many apps on it and still have 7 gigs left on it, not every one needs more storage than 16 gigs and would rather pay less for their phone, if you need more buy more when you purchase your phone...
    jkichline said:

nolamacguyDeelron[Deleted User]
  • Reply 13 of 69
    The whole TV spot is moot....if your device has no free space and no internet connection there is no way to save for upload later!
  • Reply 14 of 69
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    maestro64 said:
    yet another freebie from Google so they can collect information about you, they will use their machine learning algorithm to analyses pictures you take and understand who your friend are...
    Nope. You would benefit from reading before posting incorrect information. I started to say FUD but perhaps you truly are ignorant of the facts and it was unintentional. Unless you requested Google to tag "mom" in your photos it won't. You don't need to tell Google who "mom" really is either. The tag is used for easing your own searches thru your own photos.

Google+ is another matter altogether and there Google may try to connect a photo of a person to a user profile but I don't really know for certain. On the other hand Facebook does in fact attempt to connect a face to an identifiable and trackable real person. 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 15 of 69
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    What a terrible ad.

They use iOS as an example because it's the standard and more people can relate but then hit a bump in the road when it's time to show the actual phone so they replace it with a droid iPhone knockoff.

No way in hell I'd share my photos with Eric "the creep" Shchmidt!
    lostkiwimejsric
  • Reply 16 of 69
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I know there are trade offs using Google's services, but thanks to both a catastrophic hard drive failure in the past and a previous hugely damaging problem with Apple's iPhoto software on desktop, I'm glad to use Google Photo as a (so far) very reliable backup for all of my photos.
    edited August 2016 rogifan_newAirunJae
  • Reply 17 of 69
    The reality is Apple needs to boost the base storage. End of story. 
    For YOUR use case that might be true.
    My iPhone 6 (16Gb) currently has 4.2Gb of space free. All the apps I want to use are loaded.
    Plesae tell me why I'd want to pay for storage I'm never going to use.

I do have a 64Gb iPod with 36Gb+ of Music on it. Bought it years ago. Phones may come and phones may go but the iPod seemingly goes on forever. And it has a conventional headphone socket!
    nolamacguycaliuraharaDeelron
  • Reply 18 of 69
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:
    yet another freebie from Google so they can collect information about you, they will use their machine learning algorithm to analyses pictures you take and understand who your friend are...
    Nope. You would benefit from reading before posting incorrect information. I started to say FUD but perhaps you truly are ignorant of the facts and it was unintentional. Unless you requested Google to tag "mom" in your photos it won't. You don't need to tell Google who "mom" really is either. The tag is used for easing your own searches thru your own photos.

Google+ is another matter altogether and there Google may try to connect a photo of a person to a user profile but I don't really know for certain. On the other hand Facebook does in fact attempt to connect a face to an identifiable and trackable real person. 
    is Google+ still using friends' profiles attached to ads to make it seem like you endorsed stuff? no idea, since i wouldnt go near it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-ads-personal-info-starts-today-2014-1
    cali
  • Reply 19 of 69
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    I know there are trade offs using Google's services, but thanks to both a catastrophic hard drive failure in the past and a previous hugely damaging problem with Apple's iPhoto software on desktop, I'm glad to use Google Photo as a (so far) very reliable backup for all of my photos.
    i use iCloud for Photos, then have my local system backed up off site w/ Backblaze. dont have to worry about anything.
    caliDeelron
  • Reply 20 of 69
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:

is Google+ still using friends' profiles attached to ads to make it seem like you endorsed stuff? no idea, since i wouldnt go near it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-ads-personal-info-starts-today-2014-1
    No idea as I don't use'em either. In fact I don't think I know anyone who does. Facebook already won the social sharing/tracking war. AFAIK Facebook does tho so Google may too since they appear to hate seeing Facebook "winning".
    edited August 2016