Latest 'Pokemon Go' update brings safety warnings, returns battery saver mode

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2016
Wildly popular augmented reality game Pok?mon Go received a major update on Monday, bringing back a useful battery saver mode and introducing a safety feature that dissuades users from playing while driving.

Much to the delight of law enforcement agencies coping with the gaming phenomenon that spawned a new breed of reckless driver, Pok?mon Go version 1.3 adds an in-app dialogue reminding users not to play while traveling above a certain speed.

Using iOS geolocation services, the app monitors device speed and, if it is determined that a user is traveling at a high rate of speed (in a car), prompts said user to confirm they are in the passenger's seat to continue playing. The safeguard is designed to minimize reckless driving, a serious concern government officials have bee dealing with since Pok?mon Go launched last month.

In addition, battery saver mode is back after being pulled in a previous update for technical reasons. Also reintroduced in version 1.3 is a tweaked "Nearby Pok?mon" feature that alerts users to view characters recently spotted in their vicinity. Instead of "Nearby," the updated section displays recent Pok?mon "Sightings." The proximity based feature is being tested with a subset of gamers, developer Niantic says.

Other improvements include the accuracy of a curveball throw, an option for Trainers to change their nickname (one-time only) and fixes related to correct experience awards when achieving "Nice," "Great" and "Excellent" Pok? Ball throws. A separate issue that shows incorrect medal icons was also rectified.

Pok?mon Go version 1.3 is available for free from the iOS App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,242member
    This game is a phenomenon.

I was on a 16 hour bus ride yesterday and a guy in the seat next to me literally kept Pokemon Go on his screen the whole time, and jumped out of the bus every time we had a layover. He'd come back smiling having achieved more goals, whatever players do (I'm not a player).
  • Reply 2 of 5
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    This game is a phenomenon.

I was on a 16 hour bus ride yesterday and a guy in the seat next to me literally kept Pokemon Go on his screen the whole time, and jumped out of the bus every time we had a layover. He'd come back smiling having achieved more goals, whatever players do (I'm not a player).
    I've seen a whole street play it. It was surreal.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    What I really want to see in a update is for them to simply use the iOS HealthKit API for hatching eggs...

I can't tell you how many eggs I would have hatched if I didn't have to have the app running while walking...
    radiospace
  • Reply 4 of 5
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    What I really want to see in a update is for them to simply use the iOS HealthKit API for hatching eggs...

I can't tell you how many eggs I would have hatched if I didn't have to have the app running while walking...
    Yeah, the fact that you have to keep the app open is ludicrous. Not a single other app handles motion data that way. I'm walking an average of 10 km a day, but I have no intention to keep the damn game open and destroy my battery, so I get 1% of that recorded.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    If you have an Android phone and want even more battery savings you should try this. I am using "Battery Extender GO"