Foxconn rumored to be examining glass phone enclosures for 2017 iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn is reportedly looking into all-glass enclosures for future mobile devices, reiterating previous rumors slating a new design and enclosure for an iPhone to be released in 2017.

While no specifics of the process were revealed to the Nikkei Asian review, sources familiar with the matter confirmed that there were developments, saying that "Foxconn has been trying glass chassis since last year."

An additional source said that a successful development of an all-glass case would lead to future orders placed with Foxconn from other vendors. While Foxconn is the main aluminum casing manufacturer for Apple, it is not currently a glass supplier.

The 2017 model of the iPhone has been rumored to incorporate a new all-glass enclosure to differentiate it from competitors, possibly in a 10-year anniversary model of the iPhone. While a glass casing would be heavier than an aluminum one, the weight difference is expected to be offset by the addition of an AMOLED display.

The iPhone 4 family was the first iPhone to feature front and back glass panels. Apple was criticized about the glass in the 2010 iPhone model, but with normal care and handling would collect only "incredibly minor" scratches. While the company was hit by lawsuits over the durability of the glass, they were ultimately tossed out.

The glass in the iPhone 4 and 4s was the second revision of Corning's Gorilla Glass, with the iPhone 6 family using Gorilla Glass 4. Subsequent changes to the formula of the glass has added both more scratch resistance, and further impact protection.

The fifth iteration of Gorilla Glass was recently announced, and is present on the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, with Corning expecting wider release later in the year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    "The 2017 model of the iPhone has been rumored to incorporate a new all-glass enclosure to differentiate it from competitors" Right differentiate it self from competitors who will have their devices months in advance to beat apple to the punch why because apple can't keep a secret. They seriously need a VP of corporate secrets to crackdown on the rumoremill. I mean it's tough enough when Sammy and gang blatantly "flatter" apple's designs and legaly getaway with it but now they do it months ahead of apple's official keynotes diluting the forthought and hard work that goes into apple products. Take the "rumored" dual lanse camera it's unlikely that apple thought of it last year or even the year befor that but by the time they release it many iknockoffs will be spotting a poorly implemented version degrading customer's association with the promising tec, case and point VR.
    calitopper24hours
  • Reply 2 of 25
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    holyone said:
    "The 2017 model of the iPhone has been rumored to incorporate a new all-glass enclosure to differentiate it from competitors" Right differentiate it self from competitors who will have their devices months in advance to beat apple to the punch why because apple can't keep a secret. They seriously need a VP of corporate secrets to crackdown on the rumoremill. I mean it's tough enough when Sammy and gang blatantly "flatter" apple's designs and legaly getaway with it but now they do it months ahead of apple's official keynotes diluting the forthought and hard work that goes into apple products. Take the "rumored" dual lanse camera it's unlikely that apple thought of it last year or even the year befor that but by the time they release it many iknockoffs will be spotting a poorly implemented version degrading customer's association with the promising tec, case and point VR.
    And like ApplePay, TouchID etc. many morons will say "it's the same thing!!!!"
    nolamacguylatifbpfastasleeptopper24hourswilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Thus ushering in the Diamond Age as described by Neal Stephenson.
    sricelevi
  • Reply 4 of 25
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    So iPhone 4 2.0 or Galaxy S7?
  • Reply 5 of 25
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    I find myself a bit excited about the 2017 iPhone, and I know nothing about it, really.  Everything points to this year being more of a super iterative upgrade, and next year being a monster upgrade with tons of new technology.

williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 25
    cali said:
    holyone said:
    And like ApplePay, TouchID etc. many morons will say "it's the same thing!!!!"
    Exactly
    doozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 25
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    Thus ushering in the solar age, as described by Apple patents from a few years ago.

I believe they hoped to do it with iPhone 4 or 4S and the technology just didn't pan out. They've had the time to work it out, and they will once again leap 5 years ahead of everyone else with an glass front/back phone that has solar receptors under the glass, as part of solar supplementation system that extends normal battery life by unimaginable lengths.

I firmly believe this to be not just a patent, but a goal..and the primary reason for returning to the Glass device.
    edited August 2016 patchythepiratefastasleeptopper24hours
  • Reply 8 of 25
    sricesrice Posts: 120member
    Such a good book, and where I see the iPhone going too. :thumbsup:
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 9 of 25
    srice said:
    Such a good book, and where I see the iPhone going too. :thumbsup:
    Haven't read it what is everything made of diamonds in this future
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Why is Tim not wearing a matching hat or cap in side a high tech fabrication plant
  • Reply 11 of 25
    TurboPGT said:
    Thus ushering in the solar age, as described by Apple patents from a few years ago.

I believe they hoped to do it with iPhone 4 or 4S and the technology just didn't pan out. They've had the time to work it out, and they will once again leap 5 years ahead of everyone else with an glass front/back phone that has solar receptors under the glass, as part of solar supplementation system that extends normal battery life by unimaginable lengths.

I firmly believe this to be not just a patent, but a goal..and the primary reason for returning to the Glass device.
    But a completely glass device will be placed in a protective or decorative case by the majority of people, negating any alleged solar panel efficiencies. I don't see solar working for an iPhone, even though I could imagine a diamond-like tough enclosure replacing the current milled metal designs.
    edited August 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 25
    All-glass chassis would be a first. That would imply all of the components to be anchored to the glass either directedly (bolted straight into glass) or indirectly (metal subframe adhered to the glass, which components mount to). One clear benefit: an all-glass iPhone should be extremely radio transparent. I would have thought Apple to engineer an all-ceramic iPhone, instead of glass...
  • Reply 13 of 25
    sricesrice Posts: 120member
    But a completely glass device will be placed in a protective or decorative case by the majority of people, negating any alleged solar panel efficiencies. I don't see solar working for an iPhone, even though I could imagine a diamond-like tough enclosure replacing the current milled metal designs.
    I bet you're the life of a party. :-p
  • Reply 14 of 25
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    TurboPGT said:

eh... doesnt sound plausible in my pocket or under a case.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 15 of 25
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Glass is to diamond as lava is to granite. Or, to stay within carbon, as peat is to anthracite coal.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 16 of 25
    TurboPGT said:

eh... doesnt sound plausible in my pocket or under a case.
    Didn't you read the latest rumor? Apple will include a lanyard inside the box to wear your new solar iPhone around your neck. Apple is all out fashion these days.  /s

In all seriousness, @TurboPGT has a novel and interesting idea, tho Apple would have to change its user's habits, as you mentioned above, which is too tall of an order, IMO.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    TurboPGT said:

I'm guessing OEMs will be making transparent protective cases, too.

I don't really like glass design - didn't like iPhone 4 and 4s either, and don't like new Samsungs just as much. Sure it is all matter of taste, but as far as my taste goes. I do like idea of solar panel/battery topping up, though... even better if panel is efficient enough to fully charge battery, not just slow down discharge.

But... how is that going to work, really? Majority of time, phone is:

In pocket - no light
    In hand, covering rear - no or very little light reaching rear side
    On table - again, no light reaching rear, unless phone is screen down. Which wouldn't make much sense in everyday use, but can be handy if one needs some battery top-up and hasn't got any other charging option available.

I can think of very few scenarios - like car windshield holders (or bicycle holders), designed to cover as little of phone's rear side as possible... though in car, I can plug phone to charger anyway. I guess charging from sun through windshield is more hassle-free, and cool. Still, most of the time rear side of the phone will be hidden.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    At this point in time nobody knows what Apple is going to do for 2017 iPhone. Rumors are flying. Blogs are full of statements but nothing is in cement.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    TurboPGT said:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/solar-energy/

Well, the patent describes a solar cell beneath the touchscreen, NOT on the back of the device- so I imagine it would work fine with a case.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 25
    srice said:
    I bet you're the life of a party. :-p
    What kind of response is that?

Blocked for idiocy.