Apple issues fifth developer betas of iOS 10, watchOS 3, tvOS 10, macOS Sierra [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2016
Just over a week after providing developers with the fourth beta pre-release builds of its major upcoming platforms, Apple followed up with the fifth developer betas of iOS 10, watchOS 3, tvOS 10 and macOS Sierra, as well as a new public beta of iOS 10. [Updated]

The updates can be installed through Software Update on their respective, registered devices. macOS updates are available on the Mac App Store.

Apple's release notes simply state that the updates contain bug fixes and improvements. A fifth beta of Xcode 8 is also available.

The new betas are identified with the following build numbers:

• macOS Sierra beta 5 (16A286a)
  • iOS 10 beta 5 (14A5335b)
  • watchOS 3 beta 5 (14S5315a)
  • tvOS 10 beta 5 (14T5321a)
  • Xcode 8 beta 5 (8S193k)

The release pattern for betas is increasing as Apple approaches a final public launch of its next-generation software. Fourth betas of the software arrived just last Monday, making this turnaround faster than the two week gap that came after the third betas.

As usual, Apple has advised that its beta builds should only be deployed on secondary devices or ones dedicated to software development.

All of Apple's four major platforms were announced at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference in June.

iOS 10, macOS Sierra, tvOS 10 and watchOS 3 are all scheduled to be released to the general public this fall, likely in late September when new iPhones are expected to launch. Members of the public can opt in to test the pre-release versions of iOS 10 and macOS Sierra through Apple's public beta program.

The biggest changes found in iOS 10 beta 4 included more than 100 new emoji focusing on diversity and equality, as well as a new introductory screen explaining changes to Control Center.

Update: Apple has also released a new public beta of iOS 10, which should be available as an over-the-air update for people in the company's Beta Software Program.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13

Downloading now -- Xcode first then macOS -- will AppleTV and iDevices from the device.

• Reply 2 of 13
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    Getting very stable now. Beta 4 was already really good. Beta 5 fixes a few of the glaring issues with Beta 4 according to the release notes. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the second to last beta before GM.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    TurboPGT said:
    Getting very stable now. Beta 4 was already really good. Beta 5 fixes a few of the glaring issues with Beta 4 according to the release notes. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the second to last beta before GM.

You're prolly right -- they need to get ready for a mid-Sept release for the next iPhone.

iOS has been pretty solid, but macOS betas, so far, has problems running out of application memory on a 32 Gig iMac 27 5K.

• Reply 4 of 13
    TurboPGT said:

You're prolly right -- they need to get ready for a mid-Sept release for the next iPhone.

iOS has been pretty solid, but macOS betas, so far, has problems running out of application memory on a 32 Gig iMac 27 5K.

I've mainly had sleep/wake issues with my MacBook. Oftentimes it's taking over a full minute to drop into sleep. I haven't seen any memory issues though (I have 9GB).
  • Reply 5 of 13
    TurboPGT said:

I must say, beta 4 has been a major update vs Beta 3 on my 2010 iMac with SSHD. Have not run out of memory , with 16GB, on beta 4.
    Preparing the beta 5 now, so might edit my post after ;)
    If the improvement is just as great as beta 3 to beta 4, I'm a happy camper. Indeed apple is ramping up for mid september release, since all the new shiny hardware has to be pre-configured with the new OS-es.
    Although I love the summer, can't wait for end september.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Hmmm... I don't seem to be able to update to iOS 10 Beta 5 yet.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 7 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    TurboPGT said:

Beta 4 seems to have had a few more issues than 3 for me to be honest, nothing drastic but I've had to relaunch the Finder a few times on my black Mac Pro.  My 2010 MBP on the other hand hasn't had single issue but then it doesn't have half a dozen  TB and USB3 peripherals hanging of it!

It may well be coincidence or unique to me, but on the last few OS X (and now macOS) developer versions the ability to drag an image from Photos onto the dock icon of Photoshop CC and have it launch PS and open the image was lacking.  Every time an update fixes that it's the GM. So I'll be interested to see if beta 5 does. 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I'm in the public beta problem but my biggest issue with running beta software is compatibility issues. 
    Its always so frustrating to find out that one of my essential apps doesn't work. 

Is is anyone keeping track of these issues?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Where's my watchOS 3 Public beta :( I want it, need it, must have it. 
  • Reply 10 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    johnbmtl said:
    I'm in the public beta problem but my biggest issue with running beta software is compatibility issues. 
    Its always so frustrating to find out that one of my essential apps doesn't work. 

Is is anyone keeping track of these issues?
    I've yet to have anything that didn't run to be honest.  What software did you have issues with? (I'm assuming you mean macOS?)
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 11 of 13
    iOS10 Public Beta 4 just dropped.  Downloading it now.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Not sure if this is common knowledge, but more evidence that "Dark Mode" is on it's way.  If you ask Siri "What is the status of Dark Mode",  her reply is "I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that question.  But you can find out in Settings".
    ios 10 beta 5
  • Reply 13 of 13
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    For some reason, my IOS update available is 10 beta 4, not 5. Actually, the dev. version is 5, and consumer version is 4.
    edited August 2016