Logitech debuts Pop Home Switch for simplified smarthome control

Posted:
in iPhone
Logitech on Thursday announced the Pop Home Switch, a deliberately simple control for multiple home automation platforms, albeit with the exception of Apple's HomeKit.

The Pop is a battery-powered, wall-mounted button that connects to a dedicated bridge hub via Bluetooth. Through companion iOS and Android apps, users can configure the button to take one of three actions depending on whether people use a single tap, double-tap, or long press.

While missing HomeKit support, the Pop is compatible with a number of smarthome devices, including ones from the likes of Philips, LIFX, August, Sonos, Lutron, Insteon, and Belkin. It can also be used to control activities associated with Logitech's own Harmony platform.

The apps, not yet released, sport a drag-and-drop interface for creating control recipes, which can link multiple devices. The software can also quickly scan for new hardware to add to the hub.

The accessory is due to ship later this month. A Starter Pack, with a hub and two white-colored Pops, will cost $99.99. Individual switches will be $39.99 apiece and available in additional green, orange, and gray colors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The Philips Hue astroturfers should arrive soon.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 2 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    "That was...

• Reply 3 of 13
    Does its use of Bluetooth rather than WiFi mean the switches will have to be used no more than about 30 feet from the hub?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 4 of 13
    HomeKit, HomeKit  HomeKit  HomeKit. If it doesn't have it I will not purchase it.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 5 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Yet "another" Bridge?   No HomeKit?   

I see zero reason here to spend more money when Lutron, Philips and others have or will have cheaper Zigbee based switches. 

Lutron

Philips Dimmer 

These products are really impeding the progress of IoT.   Trying to get people to spend $100 for a button is ridiculous.  HomeKit and Scenes have already 
    solved the issue to a large extent and in iOS 10 HomeKit gets even smarter.

I'm ready for IoT to move beyond the PT Barnum "Sucker born every minute"  approach and start providing some real solutions (Beacons, smarter HVAC etc) 

• Reply 6 of 13
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Yet "another" Bridge?   No HomeKit?   

I see zero reason here to spend more money when Lutron, Philips and others have or will have cheaper Zigbee based switches. 

Lutron

Philips Dimmer 

These products are really impeding the progress of IoT.   Trying to get people to spend $100 for a button is ridiculous.  HomeKit and Scenes have already 
    solved the issue to a large extent and in iOS 10 HomeKit gets even smarter.

I'm ready for IoT to move beyond the PT Barnum "Sucker born every minute"  approach and start providing some real solutions (Beacons, smarter HVAC etc) 

The problem with the switches you mention is that they ONLY control their own brand. At least right now. Perhaps upgrades to HomeKit and Bridge software will allow more sophisticated programming of these switches in the future, but they do not permit cross-brand control now.

A generic HomeKit switch should be able to control a scene consisting of both Lutron & Hue devices (which is how my home is setup)

Maybe a nitpick: The Hue Dimmer won't fit into a regular Decora-style wall plate. I'm only going to use solutions that aren't an aesthetic step backward. A weird-shaped separate wall plate (for the Hue Dimmer) next to my nice brushed metal switch plates (which my Lutron switches fit into neatly) is a non starter.

edited August 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 7 of 13
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    People don’t care who’s logo is on the box, only marketers care, and making devices incompatible for no reason other than financial (adding nothing) is stupid. Yet another home automation protocol we don’t need to muddy the waters. People just want something they can get working quick and easy. & if they have to check a bunch of FAQs to use it with other products that do the same thing, it slows market growth for everyone. If light bulb manufacturers all designed their own sockets at the turn of last century, 1/3 of us would be without indoor lighting today. Adding another protocol that does nothing spectacularly new that others don’t is a waste of resources. Hue tried this BS & backpedalled—not soon enough as far as I’m concerned.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    noivad said:
    People don’t care who’s logo is on the box, only marketers care, and making devices incompatible for no reason other than financial (adding nothing) is stupid. Yet another home automation protocol we don’t need to muddy the waters. People just want something they can get working quick and easy. & if they have to check a bunch of FAQs to use it with other products that do the same thing, it slows market growth for everyone. If light bulb manufacturers all designed their own sockets at the turn of last century, 1/3 of us would be without indoor lighting today. Adding another protocol that does nothing spectacularly new that others don’t is a waste of resources. Hue tried this BS & backpedalled—not soon enough as far as I’m concerned.

Competing standards is exactly how light bulb manufacturers operated in the early days: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edison_screw#History

Other protocols are opportunities to demonstrate competing ideas. I like that there is competition. As soon as competition is eliminated, you will see ideas and innovation dry up. See MP3, Landline Phone Service, Government Services, etc.

So what protocol should win? HomeKit?

HomeKit is pretty close to the last one to the party. It is incompatible with others for no better reason than 1) Apple thinks they can do a better job and 2) would like control of the market (financial motivation).

If we had decided to stick with the very first home automation protocol to prevent incompatibility, we'd all be using X10 or something even more primitive.

What is the advantage to modern LED lighting still using the Edison screw socket? No advantage at all and it limits the design of all light fixtures.

I'd argue the thing that slows adoption is NOT FAQs and compatibility issues. If you think about the trouble involved in retrofitting a pre-electrical-wiring home back in the day, it was a MUCH bigger job than figuring out HomeKit, FAQs, compatibility, etc.

I'm a big advocate for HomeKit, but other manufactures aren't the problem.

What slows (or accelerates) adoption is a CLEAR benefit that is obvious and broadly desirable.

Electric light, vacuum cleaners, radio, etc were the killers apps (benefit) for electricity.

It is less clear to many what the clear and obvious benefit is to IoT right now. I'm a nerd, so it's clear and obvious to me, but I can easily understand why the appeal isn't obvious to many others.

Proving itself to the masses is the best thing the IoT industry can do to drive itself forward. That rising tide will lift all boats.
    edited August 2016 kitatit
  • Reply 9 of 13

Does anybody besides Belken make a hubless light switch? I tried their WeMo and was never able to get it to function. 

I only need one, for a specific application, so I'm not going HomeKit + hub for awhile, and probably won't ever do any IoT stuff.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    No homekit, no purchase. That simple...
    Elmo1
  • Reply 11 of 13
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    polymnia said:
    noivad said:

HomeKit is pretty close to the last one to the party. It is incompatible with others for no better reason than 1) Apple thinks they can do a better job and 2) would like control of the market (financial motivation).
    uh no. Apple released HK because they saw the future of competing protocols and bridges, not to obtain "financial control" of the home automation market. they don't even make devices in that market, and even if they did anyone could compete since it's a standard that they can choose to implement.  
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 12 of 13
    To borrow you enlightened rhetoric:

Uh, no.

How does one Implement HomeKit? It wouldn't involve getting certified and incorporating a HK hardware component into the product, would it? I suppose that is free? And there is no money made by Apple?

They obviously aren't trying to me Nest or Lutron, but don't kid yourself, they wouldn't be in the market unless they saw money to be made, even though it may mainly be by way of making the Apple ecosystem more enticing. I suspect licensing and HK hardware chips will be a nice little business for Apple once (if?) HK takes off and dominates like iTunes or iPhone have.

Your argument is similar to someone claiming Apple isn't controlling (and making lots of money) the paid download music market because they haven't started a band.

And since when is the idea of Apple making money on a business some kind of thing to defend them from? I';m all for Apple making money. The more, the better!
  • Reply 13 of 13
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    oh jesus you can't be serious -- if you think licensing MFI protocols and component requirements to vendor is a profit driver for Apple, you're really grasping at straws.

apple isn't in the home automation business. thats one of their "No's". if they were, they would have bought Nest or built their own hardware to sell. you know, where they make their money -- selling hardware. thus they implemented HK to sell more iPhones and iPads. again, thats where they make their money.

iTunes music sales is an entirely different business model -- theyre retailing music for the labels, and the margins on that are a legit business line. licensing MFI is not. your analogy is bunk.
    edited August 2016