Alleged 'iPhone 7' schematics hint at mic instead of second speaker

Posted:
in iPhone
Although Apple's 4.7-inch "iPhone 7" may replace a 3.5mm headphone jack with a second speaker grill, that grill may not actually have a speaker behind it, according to leaked schematics posted on Friday.

Instead it may contain a microphone, NWE said, cautioning that its automatic translation may be inaccurate. The schematics are in Chinese, purportedly from one of Apple's assembly partners -- implying Foxconn or Pegatron.

Some rumors have suggested that the "iPhone 7" could have twin speakers, like other flagship smartphones, offering a bit of compensation for losing a native 3.5mm jack.

If there is no second speaker, the grill would simply be a cosmetic touch to improve symmetry, since iPhones already use bottom-mounted microphones. Indeed the iPhone SE uses a similar false-speaker arrangement.

The schematics otherwise match recent leaks, indicating relocated antenna bands and a larger opening for the camera.

Apple is expected to ship two new iPhones next month, the other being the 5.5-inch "iPhone 7 Plus." That model should have a dual-lens camera, and/or a Smart Connector on the back.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
     Any chance that with another mic, the iPhone might become a little bit more like Amazon's echo? I would love to talk to Siri from across the room, but she's not quite a Goodnuf listener. 
    levicali
  • Reply 2 of 22
     Any chance that with another mic, the iPhone might become a little bit more like Amazon's echo? I would love to talk to Siri from across the room, but she's not quite a Goodnuf listener. 
    Siri doesn't use the bottom mic as much as the top two. 
  • Reply 3 of 22
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Yes, but a bottom mic would be used for something. If they are redesigning or expanding this it would indicate new or improved functionality. Some of the most frequent complaints about Siri is accuracy and range - things that Amazon may have partly addressed through a robust microphone array. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss iphoneloca's comments.
    cali
  • Reply 4 of 22
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    levi said:
    Yes, but a bottom mic would be used for something. If they are redesigning or expanding this it would indicate new or improved functionality. Some of the most frequent complaints about Siri is accuracy and range - things that Amazon may have partly addressed through a robust microphone array. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss iphoneloca's comments.
    There's, of course, already a mic at the bottom.  If Siri doesn't use it now, there might be a reason for that.
    TurboPGTbaconstang
  • Reply 5 of 22
    xmhillxxmhillx Posts: 112member
    Ah crap. Leaks and rumors and reports are conflicting and all over the place. That's why they're called rumors I guess hahah. 

Fuck I can't wait till September. 
  • Reply 6 of 22
    I excited by a possible 2nd speaker for louder Speakerphone use case.
    zoetmb
  • Reply 7 of 22
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Not likely to be the case. Take a look at iFixit teardown to get a sense of the size of the current speaker assembly. They will have to remove quite a lot more than the headphone jack to make even an insignificant difference in the volume.
    baconstang
  • Reply 8 of 22
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    xmhillx said:
    Ah crap. Leaks and rumors and reports are conflicting and all over the place. That's why they're called rumors I guess hahah. 

I don't think this is a "conflict" There were earlier leaks that indicated that only one of the holes was drilled (mic) and rest were not (aesthetic). Anything outside of that is people assuming its a second speaker because of the existence of holes.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    TurboPGT said:
    xmhillx said:

I don't think this is a "conflict" There were earlier leaks that indicated that only one of the holes was drilled (mic) and rest were not (aesthetic). Anything outside of that is people assuming its a second speaker because of the existence of holes.
    Well, exactly, there are conflicting rumors.

This rumor shows a photograph alleging to be an iPhone in production, with a second speaker grill. Hence, you assume it's a speaker grill for a speaker because the images show all holes of the second grill drilled all the way through. Making you assume it's not purely cosmetic; reason being is why have entry ways to the internals of the iPhone if there's no function? It's safe to assume a second grill with all holes drilled all the way through are for a second speaker; but you seem to think that's a silly assumption, which is beyond me.

That rumor shows a schematic/render alleging to details the production iPhone, with a "speaker" grill where only one hole is drilled all the way and is used for the microphone. The rest of the holes are cosmetic and not actually drilled the all the way. It's safe to assume there is no second speaker.

Both rumors assume to be real. Hence they're conflicting; that's what I meant. You can't accuse one alleged leak of assuming, while using another alleged leak as justification. We won't know until September. 
  • Reply 10 of 22
    smarkysmarky Posts: 75member
    They desperately need to improve the mics, "Hey Siri" is almost a pointless feature because you need to have the phone up to your mouth anyway or else it doesn't hear anything at all.

Its stupid. You can activate hey siri from most locations but it won't hear you unless you have it held up in your hand or very close to it, making hey siri pointless.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    xmhillx said:
    TurboPGT said:

This rumor shows a photograph alleging to be an iPhone in production, with a second speaker grill. Hence, you assume it's a speaker grill for a speaker because the images show all holes of the second grill drilled all the way through. Making you assume it's not purely cosmetic; reason being is why have entry ways to the internals of the iPhone if there's no function? It's safe to assume a second grill with all holes drilled all the way through are for a second speaker; but you seem to think that's a silly assumption, which is beyond me.

That rumor shows a schematic/render alleging to details the production iPhone, with a "speaker" grill where only one hole is drilled all the way and is used for the microphone. The rest of the holes are cosmetic and not actually drilled the all the way. It's safe to assume there is no second speaker.

Both rumors assume to be real. Hence they're conflicting; that's what I meant. You can't accuse one alleged leak of assuming, while using another alleged leak as justification. We won't know until September. 
    What? Assumptions are not rumors or leaks.

A previous leak indicated that the holes where the headphone jack used to be were NOT drilled, save for one (the microphone hole). This schematic corroborates that.

It is understandable that, barring that knowledge, from distance you'd assume a second speaker. But that doesn't mean a second speaker has been "rumored" and thus conflicts with these data.
  • Reply 12 of 22

smarky said:
    They desperately need to improve the mics, "Hey Siri" is almost a pointless feature because you need to have the phone up to your mouth anyway or else it doesn't hear anything at all.

Its stupid. You can activate hey siri from most locations but it won't hear you unless you have it held up in your hand or very close to it, making hey siri pointless.
    That's not been my experience at all...it works for me, while speaking at a normal volume, up to 10 or so feet away. Typically, if the device in the same room, Hey Siri works just fine.
    xmhillxnolamacguy
  • Reply 13 of 22
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    If true that's a shame. I was hoping for a bass driver alongside the mic under that grill. 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 14 of 22
    TurboPGT said:
    xmhillx said:

What? Assumptions are not rumors or leaks.

A previous leak indicated that the holes where the headphone jack used to be were NOT drilled, save for one (the microphone hole). This schematic corroborates that.

It is understandable that, barring that knowledge, from distance you'd assume a second speaker. But that doesn't mean a second speaker has been "rumored" and thus conflicts with these data.
    It's true, assumptions aren't leaks or rumors. 

There have been leaks, with included photos, of the chassis with a second grill with holes drilled all the way through, clearly shown in the picture.

That "leak" doesn't corroborate with this one, for example. So there are the conflicting reports.

Leaks with holes all the way through. Leaks with holes not all the way through. Conflicting.

Am I missing something? Is that crazy? 
  • Reply 15 of 22
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    levi said:
    There's, of course, already a mic at the bottom.  If Siri doesn't use it now, there might be a reason for that.
    Yes, likely for calling. Though it would seem it is being changed or upgraded. An improved mic for Siri is a plausible theory, regardless of what the current one does or does not do.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    smarky said:

I just tested - my iPhone 6s is about 7' away on a standing desk, and I'm on a sofa. Hey Siri works. 

your phone broken?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Not just louder - it needs to have better quality.   There were non-smartphones 10 years ago that had better sound than the iPhone does now using the built-in speakers.  I know it's a tough engineering assignment considering just how little space there is - you can't have decent sound if you can't push a reasonable amount of air, but other phones have found ways of accomplishing it. 
  • Reply 18 of 22
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    zoetmb said:
    Not just louder - it needs to have better quality.   There were non-smartphones 10 years ago that had better sound than the iPhone does now using the built-in speakers.  I know it's a tough engineering assignment considering just how little space there is - you can't have decent sound if you can't push a reasonable amount of air, but other phones have found ways of accomplishing it. 
    Sorry. No. You're waxing nostalgic, or something. Cell phones have always had dreadful built-in low-quality speakers. I find it hard to believe that any other smartphone currently packs as many features into the phone as the iPhone does, in as compact a space, and has quantifiably better sound than the iPhone.

the reality is that's not really the direction they need to take the phone. The phone is personal. You want better sound, stream to an external speaker, or wear a set of wireless headphones. Sharing a call with a group of people would be better handled by all involved joining a call with their wireless headphones. So let's improve that technology instead.

Changing the laws of physics is not likely the best approach.
    patchythepiratebaconstangdrunkzombie
  • Reply 19 of 22
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    levi said:
    Because when it's docked, it can't work well if you nedd to "Hey Siri"!
  • Reply 20 of 22
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    smarky said:

Is your experience from a sample size of one device? Or have you had the same problem with every iOS device that you've used? This is an important question to ask, because maybe there's something faulty with your device, and it's not a design problem. Worth checking other devices.
    edited August 2016