Apple CEO Tim Cook touring China, pledges Asia-Pacific R&D center

Posted:
in General Discussion
In the midst of a visit to China, Apple CEO Tim Cook has promised to open up an Asia-Pacific research and development center in the country by the end of 2016.

According to Reuters, Cook made the comment confirming the research center in a meeting with Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli. Also reportedly present at the meeting was chief Apple manufacturer Foxconn's CEO Terry Gou. No specific location in the country for the center's construction has been announced.

Cook is doing more in China than visiting governmental officials -- among his stops, he's also met with a high-profile Chinese fashion designer.

"Nihao, Beijing! It's great to be back. Started my trip today by visiting with the incomparable Guo Pei," Cook posted on social media venue Sina Weibo. "Thrilled to see how her team is using iPad Pro as Guo Pei designs her new collection."

Other stops so far have included a gym using the Apple Watch as a fitness tracker, as well as a home showroom utilizing Apple's HomeKit.

Last quarter, Apple's revenue from Greater China came in at $8.85 billion for the quarter, down 33 percent from the same time last year.

Apple's media sales are still restricted in the country. In April, the Apple movie and e-book stores were shut down, with the Chinese government demanding more oversight. In the most recent quarterly earnings report question and answer session, Cook said that the two stores were not a source of significant revenue.

In June, youthful protestors took issue with a UN decision over territories in the South and East China Seas. Videos circulating on social media depicted protesters wearing patriotic apparel and smashing iPhones in protest.

Apple's iPhone install base has grown 34 percent over the last year, despite declining revenue in the country. The most populous wireless carrier in china, China Mobile, claims more iPhones operating on its network than any other brand.

This visit to China marks Cook's ninth visit since he assumed the mantle of Apple CEO in August 2011.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    I'm sure Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli will welcome reading regular reports on the progress of research at the center, before Tim does, and that Chinese phone manufacturers will welcome not having to pay for their own research, thanks to friends in high places.

Have you thought of Australia, New Zealand or India, Tim?
    asdasddamonf
  • Reply 2 of 23
    cnocbui said:
    Australia & New Zealand: much smaller markets
    India: Yes. See news over the past six months.

Separate comment:
    I assume there's a fairly tight connection between "R&D" and "Market Research".  That is, Apple wants to develop products that appeal to the large Chinese market, so the R&D organization's responsibilities may include prototyping future products/features in order to get feedback from Chinese focus groups.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 3 of 23
    A research center that focuses on technology doesn't have to be in or near a market.  IBM had/have a major research laboratory in Switzerland, which wouldn't be one of their major markets, I would imagine.

I am aware of the proposal regarding India.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Wasn't Cook just in China (and India)? Is he going there every month now? I can't wait to see the fruits of all these R&D centers Apple is putting up. Galaxy Note 7 reviews are dropping today and from the ones I've seen so far it's getting really good reviews, probably the best reviewed phone of the year so far. Joanna Stern at the WSJ says it's the best Android phone she's ever used (and she did a video review with the phone completely underwater). Maybe a few years ago Android phones were mostly garbage but not anymore. I want Apple to start kicking ass again like we all know they can.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 5 of 23
    My current iPhone 6s is kicking ass.
    ration alai46jony0fastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Just make everything bigger and cover it in gold and you'll win the Chinese market. /s..?
    macxpress
  • Reply 7 of 23
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    cnocbui said:
    I'm sure Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli will welcome reading regular reports on the progress of research at the center, before Tim does, and that Chinese phone manufacturers will welcome not having to pay for their own research, thanks to friends in high places.

The stupidity of Cooks move here is astounding. It is pretty obvious that China is preparing for war in the Pacific, what they don't realize Is that such a war will make a mess of China itself. For Apple though the real problem is that they put themselves in a position to loose a lot when that war comes. I've repeatedly have said that Apple has too much exposure in China already. They could easily find themselves without any production capacity at all. Even if a shooting war doesn't happen initially a rational response to a China attack on a neighbor would be a trade embargo.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    Wasn't Cook just in China (and India)? Is he going there every month now? I can't wait to see the fruits of all these R&D centers Apple is putting up. Galaxy Note 7 reviews are dropping today and from the ones I've seen so far it's getting really good reviews, probably the best reviewed phone of the year so far. Joanna Stern at the WSJ says it's the best Android phone she's ever used (and she did a video review with the phone completely underwater). Maybe a few years ago Android phones were mostly garbage but not anymore. I want Apple to start kicking ass again like we all know they can.
    But....its still running Android. Trying to fix the woes of Android is like polishing a giant turd. The software is where its at, not the hardware. I've used both and I think iOS still runs circles around Android at many things.
    edited August 2016 SpamSandwichnolamacguyai46jony0
  • Reply 9 of 23
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    Just make everything bigger and cover it in gold and you'll win the Chinese market. /s..?
    Hahaha! Good one! :)
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 10 of 23
    wizard69 said:
    The stupidity of Cooks move here is astounding. It is pretty obvious that China is preparing for war in the Pacific, what they don't realize Is that such a war will make a mess of China itself. For Apple though the real problem is that they put themselves in a position to loose a lot when that war comes. I've repeatedly have said that Apple has too much exposure in China already. They could easily find themselves without any production capacity at all. Even if a shooting war doesn't happen initially a rational response to a China attack on a neighbor would be a trade embargo.

Wow, that's a pretty long grievance list thrown in there with heavy, prophetic elements. Unfortunately, I am unsure of what you have "repeatedly said" so perhaps you can point us to your business blog where we can read your particular insights -- no doubt stemming from years in the field -- so as to know that you have repeatedly said something that we should all take stock of.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 11 of 23
    macxpress said:
    But....its still running Android. Trying to fix the woes of Android is like polishing a giant turd. The software is where its at, not the hardware. I've used both and I think iOS still runs circles around Android at many things.
    Again I'm just reporting what I'm reading. All reviews of the Note 7 so far have been very positive. So clearly not everyone thinks Android is a giant turd. It's been 6 years since I've used an Android device so I couldn't comment on that.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    macxpress said:
    Again I'm just reporting what I'm reading. All reviews of the Note 7 so far have been very positive. So clearly not everyone thinks Android is a giant turd. It's been 6 years since I've used an Android device so I couldn't comment on that.
    Maybe you should use an Android device, specifically a Galaxy 7, before you pointedly spread around any more bilge from the likes of ultra-narcissist Joanna Stern as worthwhile opinion.  

I have a question. Why do I always feel like I need to wash my hands after handling a Samsung "smudge magnet" in the Verizon store? Another: Why do I get a queasy feeling just turning it over in my hand?
    nolamacguyai46
  • Reply 13 of 23
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    cnocbui said:

I dought Tim would place critical research within china's reach, it's probably packaging research you know how to make an iPhone box with round conners
  • Reply 14 of 23
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    wizard69 said:
    cnocbui said:

And this is the view from inside of a pickup truck in the upper Midwest, with a 7-11 coffee cup steaming up the windshield, Rush Limbaugh barking away on the AM radio . . . 
    nolamacguyration alai46fastasleep
  • Reply 15 of 23
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    cnocbui said:

I doubt Tim would place critical research within China's reach, it's probably packaging research you know how to make an iPhone box with round conners and all that
  • Reply 16 of 23
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    wizard69 said:
    cnocbui said:

ah yes, Cook is stupid and it's obvious China is preparing for war...said an anonymous guy named "wizard" on the intertubes.

let me know when you move out of the basement. 
    edited August 2016 ai46fastasleep
  • Reply 17 of 23
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    macxpress said:
    and a lot of people like Windows...still a turd.
    edited August 2016 ai46
  • Reply 18 of 23
    flaneur said:

I have a question. Why do I always feel like I need to wash my hands after handling a Samsung "smudge magnet" in the Verizon store? Another: Why do I get a queasy feeling just turning it over in my hand?
    The 'I hear voices and issues with my parents' forum is over there  ----------------->
  • Reply 19 of 23
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    holyone said:
    cnocbui said:

I doubt Tim would place critical research within China's reach, it's probably packaging research you know how to make an iPhone box with round conners and all that

They still need to segment a China R&D facility from the rest of their corporate network to defend against on premises hacking.  Hopefully they do that already given the 40 or so Apple Stores already in China... 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 20 of 23
    and a lot of people like Windows...still a turd.
    So AI posters define what is good and what isn't?