Microsoft ad says Apple's iPad Pro Smart Keyboard doesn't make it a real computer

Posted:
in iPad
In a new ad pushing its Surface Pro tablet hybrid, Microsoft takes direct shots at the iPad Pro, referencing Apple's new "What's a Computer?" ad just two weeks after it began airing.

While the rivalry between Microsoft and Apple has ebbed and flowed over the years, the new ad from the Redmond, Wash., software giant is a sign that things are once again heating up. In it, Microsoft's Cortana asks Apple's Siri why she is throwing a party --?Siri responds that the celebration is because the iPad Pro "just got a keyboard."

The iPad says to the Surface that it is "a computer now, like you."

The ad is in reference to Apple's own "What's a Computer?" ad that began airing earlier this month. Fifteen days after its debut, Microsoft has struck back quickly, in an effort to undermine the success of the iPad Pro lineup.

In its attack on the iPad Pro, Microsoft, notes that the Surface Pro runs a full-fledged Intel Core i7 processor, and is capable of running the full Windows version of Microsoft Office, not just a scaled-down app.

Cortana also notes that the Surface Pro's attachable keyboard has a dedicated trackpad for cursor input. The Microsoft tablet also differentiates itself by highlighting the availability of external ports.

The ad concludes with the tagline that "Surface does more. Siri, meanwhile, concedes that her keyboard-focused party "wasn't such a good idea."

Apple has been working to create a narrative for iPad Pro, positioning the tablet as part workstation, part play station. Historically, tablets are viewed as mere content consumption devices, as they lack the hardware and software assets required to run professional applications.

Apple's iPad lineup continues to greatly outsell the Microsoft Surface. Even in a head-to-head matchup of tablets with detachable keyboards --?a market Apple just entered last fall with the 12.9-inch iPad Pro -- the iPad continues to outperform the Surface.

iPad sales have steadily been on the decline for a few years, but their overall revenue grew last quarter, bolstered by the launch of the premium 9.7-inch iPad Pro, which starts at $599. The jumbo-sized 12.9-inch model, meanwhile ranges from $799 to $1129 before adding in optional accessories like the Apple Pencil or detachable Smart Keyboard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Running a full version of Windows is not exactly something to gloat over.
    nolamacguyirelandlkruppandrewj5790tmayjbishop1039ai46Deelronchiawilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 81
    Apple deserves this. That Apple ad was embarrassing to watch.

It's not ok to be a fridge/toaster until it's ok to be a fridge toaster. Right, Tim?
    edited August 2016 cnocbui
  • Reply 3 of 81
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    iPad Pro needs more ports like SCSI, FC and USB7.
    ai46DeelronAnijony0baconstangxbitredgeminipa
  • Reply 4 of 81
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    bdkennedy said:

It's not ok to be a fridge/toaster until it's ok to be a fridge toaster. Right, Tim?
    you seem to misunderstand his metaphor. it isn't about doing more work on a tablet with a keyboard (remember, the original iPad had a keyboard accessory from Day 1, I had it). it's about trying to force an entire desktop OS onto a touch oriented mobile tablet. 
    andrewj5790tmayjahbladeai46DeelronchiawilliamlondoncaliAnialbegarc
  • Reply 5 of 81
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    Microsoft did a good job. iPad will never be a "desktop computer" to me. The Surface Pro is much more capable and can do everything that the desktop offers.
    Roger_Fingascnocbuibdkennedy1002singularity
  • Reply 6 of 81
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Rubbish ad.
    andrewj5790albegarcAniP-DogNCSpamSandwichjony0lolliverjustadcomicskevin keeredgeminipa
  • Reply 7 of 81
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    netrox said:
    Microsoft did a good job. iPad will never be a "desktop computer" to me. The Surface Pro is much more capable and can do everything that the desktop offers.
    Its not supposed to be. Just because Microsoft is trying to make it out that Apple is trying to make it a portable computer, its never meant to be this. Its still a tablet that acts like a tablet. If you want a real computer, get a MacBook. 
    andrewj5790tmayjahbladeai46caliP-DogNCdoozydozenrob55jony0lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 81
    I just don't understand Microsoft's angle here. Especially since the Office app for iPad is surprisingly good. I'm a teacher and make use of Word a lot and have found it do the job I need done quite well.

I am also confused as to why an object requires a trackpad and ports to be classified as a computer. I just feel like Microsoft is floundering trying to find its place in this new world of Apple, Google, Facebook, and Amazon. 
    albegarctmayai46yoyo2222williamlondonbb-15damonfmacseekercaliP-DogNC
  • Reply 9 of 81
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    For all the analyst/pundit trash talking about how Apple is finished, irrelevant, on the way out, going down, whatever, you still know they are on top when competitors mention them in their ads directly or indirectly. When the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads came out Microsoft was still on top at that time, a valid target.

When competitors stop copying and start ignoring Apple, THAT'S when we need to start worrying. 
    edited August 2016 ai46chiaAniP-DogNCdoozydozenjony0lolliverjustadcomicsdjkfisherbaconstang
  • Reply 10 of 81
    I'm so glad Microsoft cleared this up for me. I've been using it as a computer replacement since it came out, but nooooow I know that's impossible. Thanks Microsoft!!! I'll run right out and buy a surface so I can have a desktop OS to tap all over with fingers twice the size of my touch targets. I'm sold! /s
    ai46williamlondonjmey267caliAniP-DogNCdoozydozenjony0lolliverjustadcomics
  • Reply 11 of 81
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    OMG you know regardless of how apple fan boys may feel about how well apple is doing post SJ but man is it hurting it's competitors I mean to advertise you're product next to you're directly competing adversary's is downright desperate people might laugh but they'll get to see the iPad right next to the surface and compare. Then again I guess trying to shine with other's shine is better than nothing, can't blame Meek Mill for that Drake feud kind of help his career and MS is doing what it must, fund as much media association with apple as possible and if there is non generate you're own through you're marketing sad really this just dilutes their brand don't they get that ? These guys are paid millions oh orhnestly.
  • Reply 12 of 81
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    What is a computer ? Something which computes. Microsoft needs to ask IBM or HP to help define a computer tetminology. Long as I can use Ipad with apps that runs on other computer platforms than that is a computer. If I need data intensive processing than I will go to Computer Server, not computer tablet or computer laptop or computer desktop.
    edited August 2016 DeelroncaliAnibb-15P-DogNClolliverkevin keeredgeminipa
  • Reply 13 of 81
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Of course the iPad isn't a computer. That's the point, that's why it sells.
    The surface may be more of a computer but it's still a shit one so why compromise?
    Why not have a decent tablet and a proper computer?
    caliAniP-DogNCkevin keebaconstangredgeminipa
  • Reply 14 of 81
    The current adverts in the UK for Surface uses the line 'I could never have done that on a Mac'. The thing that was being done was annotating things on a surface using the pencil.
    Then there is the immensley annoying Samsung advert with the heavily tattooed woman buying veggies and preparing some food with lots of bery brief shots of Windows 10 running on a Samsung version of the Surface. The colours are so oversaturated it hurts the eyes. Lots of swiping and images but not really about the usability or what app was being used.
    Adverts... Don't you hate them!

The perpetual beta OS that is Windows 10 is really the footgun event to end all footgun events. Halfbaked and that is being generous.
    I've tried Window 10 but sorry it was neither a tablet not a desktop and that is its problem. It is neither one thing nor the other and IMHO, it does neither very well.
    There is a place for a Touchscreen and a place for a desktop but IMHO, there is no place for fingerprints on my desktop screens
    (two 27in 4K displays)

caliAniP-DogNChlee1169lolliverkevin keebaconstangredgeminipa
  • Reply 15 of 81
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,714member
    I want to see someone make a retro version of this ad from 1984 where Microsoft says that you need a machine running DOS to have a 'real computer' (in comparison to a Mac running a GUI and using a mouse).

Making technology easier to use is the whole point of the industry.  Just because some people are locked in to one way of doing their work doesn't mean things shouldn't move forward for everyone else who is open to finding simpler ways to do things.
    edited August 2016 nolamacguyai46DeelronchiacaliP-DogNClolliverbaconstangredgeminipa
  • Reply 16 of 81
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    The problem came about when Apple decided to call the iPad a "computer" instead of a "tablet." Maybe some day Apple will get off its ass and provide a couple of USB ports, and access to the damn file system, then they might be able to actually call it a "computer."

Having an Intel Core-anything processor is not a determining factor to being a "computer," so that's just a red herring, and who's fault is it that "full Office" isn't available for iPad (or other "tablets")? That would be you Microsoft - there is no technical reason you can't port the full Office apps to iOS or pretty much any other platform (i.e. Linux).

• Reply 17 of 81
    Hey, Microsoft, two words: "golden key." Now shut up.
    holyoneai46chiadamonfAniSpamSandwichP-DogNChlee1169lolliverjustadcomics
  • Reply 18 of 81
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,460member
    bdkennedy said:

you seem to misunderstand his metaphor. it isn't about doing more work on a tablet with a keyboard (remember, the original iPad had a keyboard accessory from Day 1, I had it). it's about trying to force an entire desktop OS onto a touch oriented mobile tablet. 

The metaphor was about merging the OSes. Surface has touch, pen, and track pad; making it a confusing product. How would an app be designed, and what kind of experience would it contain? Touch, mouse, or pen based? In contrast, the design direction is as clear as day on a MacBook and an iPad.

AniP-DogNCkevin keeredgeminipa
  • Reply 19 of 81
    The iPad Pro's totally rock and will gradually take over computing from traditional desktops.

ai46SpamSandwich
  • Reply 20 of 81
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

The metaphor was about merging the OSes. Surface has touch, pen, and track pad; making it a confusing product. How would an app be designed, and what kind of experience would it contain? Touch, mouse, or pen based? In contrast, the design direction is as clear as day on a MacBook and an iPad.

which is what I said. the other poster claimed the iPad Pro is now a fridge toaster because keyboard, which is nonsense. cook criticized the surface as a fridge toaster because it's a desktop OS crammed into a tablet. 
    ai46P-DogNClolliverbaconstang