Street date for Apple's 'iPhone 7' could be Sept. 23, AT&T document hints

Posted:
in iPhone
Despite some recent rumors pointing at an earlier launch, the "iPhone 7" could end shipping as late as Sept. 23 -- well after an expected Sept. 7 press event, a leaked AT&T schedule suggests.

The carrier's outlets are due for two "merchandising resets" next month, according to the document, posted on Tuesday by 9to5Mac. The first is on Sept. 9 -- when iPhone preorders might begin -- while the second is on Sept. 23.

Those dates could be coincidental but would be roughly consistent with the launch of 2015's iPhone 6s, which started preorders on Sept. 12, and only shipped on Sept. 25.

They do conflict with an earlier claim that the "iPhone 7" will ship on Sept. 16. The iPhone 6 arrived on a similarly tight schedule -- while preorders began on Sept. 12, 2014, units appeared on shelves and doorsteps just a week later.

The "iPhone 7" is rumored to be another interim update for Apple, at least in terms of design, mostly adding faster processors and better cameras to its 4.7- and 5.5-inch formats. The bigger "Plus" model should have a dual-lens camera, however, and/or a Smart Connector. Both models are likely to omit 3.5-millimeter headphone jacks, but gain more storage and pressure-sensitive home buttons.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    How does this compare to last year, or the year before?
    Did AT&T similarly do 2 merchandising resets, one on Pre-Order day, and one on Launch Day?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    We will know for sure when AT&T blocks their retail staff from taking vacations during that week...
    lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 6
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    despite a carry over form factor, I suspect apple will still introduce some significant features to differentiate from the 6S, and there will be plenty of 6 owners who will upgrade just because it's been a couple of yrs and they want the latest tech. personally, i think the SE is the best phone in apples lineup.
    coolfactor
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I wonder what (if anything) the ATT date has to do with the Intel modem chip that is rumored to be used in the new iPhone -- and rumored for ATT only.

• Reply 5 of 6
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Exactly one month before my birthday, and I am in serious need of a new iPhone. Part of me hopes there will be a beefed up iPhone SE, but I'll be happy with the current SE at a lower up-front cost. :smile: 
  • Reply 6 of 6
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    And my contract runs out on the 16th. Bummer.